Hello elevator people. I have been a mechanic for 10 years now but have only been in the service department for about 3. I guess you could say I was "thrown to the wolves". We have a 16 story building with 3 Otis passenger cars and a simplex freight. My boss in his infinite wisdom decided to blow out the generator on the freight car. Even after EVERYONE tried to talk him out of it. Needless to say, it started throwing fireballs immediately. We ended up pulling the armature and having it rewound. That was about a year ago. This elevator has not been right since.
To start off with it had all the turns in the MG. We took some out and that would let it stay running. After having 5 or 6 different mechanics take turns moving resistor bands and selector switches it has become my responsibility to make it run correctly. After solving lots of issues I have it to the point where it runs but something isn't right.
When it runs in the down direction the genny will squeal a little when it takes off. Brushes arc a little bit but not bad. It levels in just fine. In the up direction it is a whole different story. It takes off and runs fine until it starts to slow down. When FE drops out so does 2E. the genny SCREAMS and throws sparks bad. Then it will level in and stop just fine.
It also will violently re-level in both directions but only at the top terminal landing. It also does it at the only rear opening which is the second landing but only when you run down to it. If you run up to it from the bottom terminal it doesn't do it. At one point when I first started working on this unit it did it at every landing in both directions.
I have corrected so many issues it would be impossible to list them all. At one point it was blowing coils on my slim line relays. I have replaced 15 of them I would guess. I have a book that dates from June of 1974 that I refer to as my bible. It has helped me get to this point but I am officially at my wits end. I guess what I really need help with is figuring out why the MG is squealing and screaming like it is. As far as I can tell all the relays are doing what they are supposed to do with the exception of 2E.I assume there is more than one issue at work here. It is a 21 UCL controller with a 6850 selector. No advancer panel. 350 FPM car. It uses an 82GA generator. I'm sure I haven't provided enough info but could use any help with this. I have no way of knowing what all has been changed since this started a year ago. It is running 340 FPM in the up and 320 FPM on the down.
I can only begin to express the respect I have for the guys that worked on these units for years back in the day. I have learned a lot since taking this on but know I haven't come close to being in the same league as some of the guys I know around here. Most of them are retired now. So if I can provide any info let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Rando