Home

Westinghouse Schindler

Posted By: Anthony

Westinghouse Schindler - 11/12/13 08:41 PM

I have 5 Westinghouse/Schindler (Epoch II) traction elevators built in the late 80's. I have a particular issue that I hope to resolve with the coil for the MVR coil. The voltage going to it is good and the coil has been replaced with another coil that we had. But the coil does not act/magnetize in order for the elevator to work. We checked all resistors, coils and other electrical components and it all functions. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue?

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/12/13 08:41 PM

Anthony
Posted By: E-man

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/13/13 05:26 PM

Is it a VR type relay? If so, it picks up with current.

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/13/13 06:12 PM

It's actually the FPR that does not magnetize.
Posted By: uppo72

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/14/13 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Anthony
It's actually the FPR that does not magnetize.

Not sure in this instance but FPR is normally in series with the motor shunt field and is designed to protected that field by taking out the relay coil( if its being used as the field protection relay). If the coil doesn't energise i'd test around this area.
Posted By: Scott Davidson

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/14/13 03:12 AM

I'm thinking FPR is a current sensitive relay, like MC on a old otis unit. if it is, then you adjust the air gap on the relay to pick up the relay with the appropriate amount of current for the motor field.

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/14/13 05:21 AM

MVR is a PCB. FPR is field protection relay, maybe an open resistor tube?

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/18/13 12:48 PM

Thanks to all.. It was an open resistor tube after all. Thanks E-Man.

Re: Westinghouse Schindler - 11/26/13 02:29 PM

NP, that's usually the case. Put 2 resistors of double the resistance value in parallel to help with split the heat, do all the cars and prevent future shut downs.
© 2024 Elevator Forum