Home

Montgomery Escalator Shocking

Posted By: sbrmilitia

Montgomery Escalator Shocking - 04/01/14 02:00 AM

I have 4 Montgomery escalators that when you touch the metal under the hand rail it shocks you. I've cut the end off a braided shunt and frayed them out to ride inside the handrail and grounded the other end. When the escalator turned off all the metal is reading grounded on the meter. The shunts didn't seem to help. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Posted By: Postal

Re: Montgomery Escalator Shocking - 04/01/14 02:27 AM

Wonder if a little scotch guard would help out
Posted By: Kone D

Re: Montgomery Escalator Shocking - 04/01/14 03:19 AM

you probably have carpet around units. I had same problem at department stores with carpet. Try to ground to escalator truss then ground truss to earth ground ,should take care of it. you may have to ground both sides of escalator.
Posted By: uppo72

Re: Montgomery Escalator Shocking - 04/01/14 06:00 AM

Most of the time it will be static charge however I did have a funny story having this actually live when touched. Back in the day, we had some old Westinghouse escalators that didn't have any handrail entry switches. Then the regs changed and these had to be fitted. The repairs crew came and installed them then left. About a year later, after the handrail had started to stretch, and started to rub on the conduit supplying the switches with the 125v dc. Of course, it wore away the conduit and insulation on the wiring, and hence made the carbon in the handrail become active. Everyone that got to the top of the thing got a zap!! Funny times!!
Posted By: sbrmilitia

Re: Montgomery Escalator Shocking - 04/03/14 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Kone D
you probably have carpet around units. I had same problem at department stores with carpet. Try to ground to escalator truss then ground truss to earth ground ,should take care of it. you may have to ground both sides of escalator.

hit the nail on the head, the down unit has carpet at the top and its the one im getting the complaints about
Posted By: Elev^te79

Re: Montgomery Escalator Shocking - 04/04/14 02:49 AM

We use to lay old Otis shunts wire over the handrail then grounded to the truss
Posted By: JustWolf

Re: Montgomery Escalator Shocking - 04/14/14 12:27 PM

The shunt is the correct thing to use, but it must touch the cover of the handrail not the cloth part. Ive done it plenty of times, always worked.
© 2024 Elevator Forum