Home

10 story hydro

Posted By: DripCan

10 story hydro - 07/28/14 12:08 AM

I can't seem to keep packing in this unit longer than two month.so we are going to try the 900 texacone series packings.I notice piston looks tarnished or glazed was thinking of sanding whole piston by hand but that is going to take some time.I seen on texacones site something about sanding sleeves,was wondering if anyone has tried these sleeve an how was the out come.Also how long does sleeve need to be on.
Posted By: jkh

Re: 10 story hydro - 07/28/14 01:19 AM

DripCan,
Just a few questions?
Is the unit running hot?
Did you take a temperature reading?
Did you check the plunger for scratches, pitting or dents?
How do the seams look? Smooth? Rough?
When you pull out the old packing is it deformed or damaged?

Dale Frund from Texacone is a great resource. They also have a trouble-shooting and maintenance pgf you can download.

Give Dale a call and post how you made out...
Posted By: Silly

Re: 10 story hydro - 07/28/14 08:57 AM

Sanding sleeves work awesome for dings and pits. I left the last one on a running car for two weeks. Length I guess would depend on how bad the piston is, use of elevator, and desired outcome. If left on too long it could take the overall diameter down too far I imagine. We didnt use calipers on it before, or after to tell if we had made that sort of change. Only thing i was unhappy with were the chains used for tieing it back to the head. Little air cord and crosbies fixed that issue.
Posted By: DripCan

Re: 10 story hydro - 07/29/14 12:11 AM

Talked to Dale he suggested changing the oil,an using the 900 series or possible the extreme series.Does run hot,haven't checked complete piston yet.Will be diving into this later in week when packing arrives.Will keep you posted
Posted By: jkh

Re: 10 story hydro - 07/29/14 01:19 AM

Here is a great right up.

www.texacone.com/ABCs.pdf
Posted By: 2468

Re: 10 story hydro - 07/29/14 01:31 AM

Had same problem found piston joint loosened also used sanding sleeve chains were a pain but took imperfections out
Posted By: danzeitz

Re: 10 story hydro - 07/29/14 11:20 AM

Sanding sleeves work great if that is what's wrong. I worked for a mechanic that would clean the piston down with GOOP to get rid of that film your talking about. As far as Dale and the supreme green packings they are both the best. We only use the 900 series packing anymore. I think they are like a 20 dollar add a real no brainer. We also use Cat oil for overly tight packings and provantage for leaking packings (repack in a bottle)
© 2024 Elevator Forum