Home

Kone with MX machine MOD experience

Posted By: GreenPants

Kone with MX machine MOD experience - 01/21/15 01:54 AM

Anyone have any experiences modding a Kone with a MX machine in the hoistway? I know that MCE and Smartrise have a controller and drive for them. Just wondering how reliable the unit is after a controller swap.

This is a Kone TMS50 controller circa 2000.
Posted By: Rolly

Re: Kone with MX machine MOD experience - 01/23/15 02:55 PM

The whole MX machine line is a piece of garbage. Nothing but bearing and Traction related problems causing drivers to wear badly. Get rid of it if you can.
Posted By: ABE

Re: Kone with MX machine MOD experience - 01/23/15 10:35 PM

The problem with the MX series machines is to my knowledge no one makes a aftermarket machine to replace it in regards to how it is configured in the hoistway. So other than tearing the whole works out completely and starting over, probably controls and and fixtures are about the only upgrades possible.

Unless someone else has had any other experience?
Posted By: GreenPants

Re: Kone with MX machine MOD experience - 01/24/15 03:21 AM

I decided we will not be bidding this MOD project, they are not a current customer. When you can't promise it will run better than the pre-mod equipment its better to keep your reputation and only give honest advise. They do not have the money or patience for a full tear out. False promises got them this mess, original equipment in this hoistway was a old Moline car heavy-duty everything, such a waste of good iron.
Posted By: E-man

Re: Kone with MX machine MOD experience - 01/24/15 08:01 AM

Just curious... aren't these things everywhere? Koneheads really screwed a lot of people with these things huh? Glad we're smart enough to not have any...
Posted By: traction

Re: Kone with MX machine MOD experience - 01/25/15 04:25 AM

kone is like ikea, you get what you pay for
Posted By: smartriseguy

Re: Kone with MX machine MOD experience - 02/24/15 10:36 PM

I,ve moded one with a Smartrise and the new magnetek drive made specifically for the mx machines and it has been running great ever since. The building tenants actually thanked us for the noticeable improvement in the ride quality
© 2024 Elevator Forum