Home

Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine

Posted By: bilys22

Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/16/15 01:47 PM

Ok, I am hoping someone can help me with this.
We have several Otis Gearless machines with hollow shafts. I am inquiring whether:
1. Can you repair or replace or alter these hollow shafts in place. If so what how and what is done. Is there any technical literature as to how to do this?
2. I know it is probably easier to replace such machines, but access in and out of the machine rooms would make this rather expensive and difficult.

So that is why I am inquiring about #1 above.

Your help is greatly appreciated in advance

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/16/15 01:47 PM

Dan
Posted By: jkh

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/16/15 03:22 PM

Mike@titanmachine.com

Here is a good place to try next...
Posted By: billvator

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/16/15 08:39 PM

call unitec or you local otis office, years back they had guys go around and insert something into the shaft to make it more solid. i thought they all had to be done even if we did not have them under contract, buy i might be wrong. i know the have a "tip" for doing this.

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/16/15 09:03 PM

Billvator,

Thanks for the reply. I have contact Otis who indicated they use what the term a "hot bolt" method which means the heat a threaded rod in place insert in the hollow shaft and let cool. They indicated they need atleast 5'0" clearance to do so

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/16/15 09:04 PM

Jkh,

Thanks for the reply. I have emailed Mike at Titan Machine to see what they have
Posted By: E311

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/16/15 11:40 PM

There is a hollow shaft repair procedure, it does take quite a bit of room to accomplish it though. Just had a Mod job with hollow's, we couldnt do the repair due to not enough clearance.
Posted By: billvator

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/17/15 12:35 AM

i remember people saying it was a pain in the butt, i never got to do one.
Posted By: jkh

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/17/15 12:51 PM

Any chance the machine is next to a wall you can open up? Maybe you could hang the car and counter weight, take the machine apart enough to turn it?
Posted By: uppo72

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/23/15 05:56 AM

Is the problem that the shaft is bending or warping? I have never heard of it, but interested.
Posted By: E311

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/23/15 04:44 PM

They can develope cracks because the shaft is not solid, cracks can lead to a total failure of the shaft
Posted By: uppo72

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/24/15 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: E311
They can develope cracks because the shaft is not solid, cracks can lead to a total failure of the shaft

Thanks for that. Is it any particular machine number that has this, as I worked for the big O for a while and didn't notice it once.

Re: Otis Hollow Shaft Gearless Machine - 04/24/15 12:53 AM

I know they were few and far between........just a bad engineering design
© 2024 Elevator Forum