Home

Flashlights

Posted By: jkh

Flashlights - 09/01/15 01:28 AM

I just wanted to reach out and ask what brand of flashlight you would recommend.

My reason is this, over the past year I've purchased 6 coast AA flashlights and 3 AA Maglights all LED. I now have one working LED Maglight.

A friend told me to try the Pelican 1910 AAA flashlight. ($25.00) I will say I like the size and amount of light it provides. As to how long it will hold up! Time will tell...

Please make your Recommendations.

Attached File
image.jpg  (34 downloads)
Posted By: Magic smoke

Re: Flashlights - 09/01/15 01:42 AM

I used to use the AAA mini mag led. They kept breaking so I bought a streamlight poly tac LED. It's bigger but I've had it for three years now. It's holding up great. The mini mags, I was only getting about six months before they broke.
I would like to find a poly or plastic AAA that would hold up better. That way I won't get flashlight overbite. Haha.
[img:left]http://www.streamlight.com/product/productsummary.aspx?pid=159[/img]
Posted By: ranger33

Re: Flashlights - 09/01/15 02:31 AM

I use the streamlight strion LED rechargable with car charger. It is one of the best lights I have ever used. It has a metal case though so if you use your mouth to hold the light (I do not) then this is probably not for you, also metal case flash lights probably not allowed if you are at a company with a big safety program. It is a nice compact light and puts out a really bright light. I can go a few days without charging depending the usage.

They are expensive but if you are going through the other lights like you say, it is worth a try.I have had mine for over 5 years without any problems. It has been dropped a couple floors and survived.
Posted By: Vatorgator

Re: Flashlights - 09/01/15 04:01 AM

thanks ranger, i just ordered the strion 74751 HL. it was expensive but it got good reviews. should get it tomorrow, amazon prime :} I also had a larger streamlight for years, but it died. I've been picking up lights here and there over the last couple years, and never seem to satisfy. i ended up with the duracell from costco, for the last few months, but get tired of batteries, and also they are quite big and bulky. hope i like this one.

Re: Flashlights - 09/01/15 04:03 AM

jkh, i do like the size of that one, let us know how it holds up. like i said I've bought quite a few of the brand names, and none of them satisfy.
Posted By: danzeitz

Re: Flashlights - 09/01/15 03:53 PM

The pelican is the flashlight of choise around here. No metal case so no electrical safety issues. I belive they are around $50 bucks but they are waterproof and I mean for scuba diving. (not sure of the depth)And there guaranteed so if you break it they relace it!!! Some of the guys have gone to head lamps and really like them. Seems like light stringers on construction jobs are a thing of the past. They want you to do streach and flex before you start work but then wont suppy lighting so you can see???????

Re: Flashlights - 09/01/15 09:55 PM

Ranger, I have run into that challenge. A simple solution is "a little heat shrink goes a long way"!

Magic, that may also help out with worrying about an excessive overbite!

Vator, the pelican 1920 is a little longer and uses two AAAs. I'll keep you posted.

And Dan "TM" Zeitz, I enjoy your input! Thanks for your personal review...
Posted By: solidstate

Re: Flashlights - 09/02/15 12:20 AM

Headlamps are the choice here also. Rechargeable batteries with a charger in the trucks.
Posted By: Magic smoke

Re: Flashlights - 09/02/15 02:22 AM

Heat shrink is a good idea. I wrap the ends with orange electrical tape. Makes for a softer bite pad. Haha. Also the orange won't leave the black tape marks on your lips. As it comes loose you tear off an inch or so and your good again. If I know I'm gonna need a light for an extended amount of time I use my headlight. A streamlight Argo works great.

Re: Flashlights - 09/02/15 02:59 PM

JKH I hope TM is for THE MAN and not TOO MUCH BULLS@#$$##%%^$
Posted By: iggy

Re: Flashlights - 09/02/15 03:13 PM

I like Coast PX25, one button on/off, never liked those H/L thing, high is good. But low is just useless too low. sometimes a simple headlamp is a good extra in my bag, get to keep both my hands free.

Re: Flashlights - 09/03/15 02:30 AM

Iggy, I haven't had much luck with the Coast products.

Magic, black tape is why I started using heat shrink. I think with all the pieces I've eaten it is having the same effect as lead paint chips!

Solidstate, not sure about using a headlamp? But I'm interested in the brand of the lamp, battery & car charger...

Dan, you would need at the least a doctrine for that many initials! (The Man)!
Posted By: ranger33

Re: Flashlights - 09/04/15 02:07 AM

Hey JKH,
I see a sharpie in your pic ( for scale). Have you tried the Milwaukee brand permanent marker? I switched over and like them much better than sharpies, they last longer and actually write on some surfaces that sharpies won't.

Re: Flashlights - 09/04/15 11:31 AM

Ranger
Didn't realize such a beast existed?

Re: Flashlights - 09/09/15 03:35 AM

thanks jk, the pelican flashlight you got me is a great little light. nice pocket size with a nice illumination. I did order the streamlight strion hl, it was a little pricey, but it is super bright, probably to bright for up close work, even at the lowest setting. that being said, it is a great size, and if you need to light up a dark area then i would do the trick. this is more for outside, police work etc. probably keep it just because it is rechargable, and i can use it for camping. however after receiving the flashlight, it came with a catalog and i had to try the Knucklehead Flood light, rechargeable unit. This is a great flashlight for the work i do, lots of wiring in the controllers etc. it has a 360 degree swivel head, a magnet, which worked great on controller doors, and a belt clip. also it comes with an extra battery cartridge which you can install regular batteries in a crunch. I'm really impressed with this light. if you don't like the magnet you can remove it, but it has already served me good. It is also a perfect size, not to big and just small enough to fit in my tool case. also perfect lighting, 2 settings. can't say enough about it, although there was a sticker shock, at 146 bucks, there are 2 models, 1 is a flood light with a wide beam, and the other is a spotlight with a narrow beam. check it out love it

Re: Flashlights - 09/09/15 01:15 PM

Your welcome.

I went on Amazon and looked up your new light. I hope they include a disclosure, tanning lotion and sun glasses?

Although that one will not fit in the limited amount of space in my tool pouch, I did find a rechargeable penlight streamlight. That will be the next one I test out. It has a adjustable 70 lumen beam, USB charging cord and a holster.
Posted By: xxXBlazeXxx

Re: Flashlights - 11/10/15 10:52 PM

I think I've found the best flashlight for our industry. Short of being all metal. Has several modes, side light, and magnetic back. I use mine every day.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunwayman-C22C-Dua...=sunwayman+c22c

Re: Flashlights - 11/11/15 02:45 AM

Impressive Rodney,
1000 lumens... wow!

The Pelican light runs through the batteries quickly. Currently I'm using the rechargeable streamlight stylus pro with a USB cord. It holds the charge well and is more then ample lighting an area. I think this one may be a keeper!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions...
Posted By: galaxy

Re: Flashlights - 11/11/15 08:34 PM

I bought a Surefire E2D LED Defender over a year ago. Not a single issue, it is to bright for up close work sometimes, but another click of the button and it goes into lo-beam. Spendy yes, but you get what you pay for
Posted By: pdq1600

Re: Flashlights - 11/15/15 05:27 PM

ive got a ball cap with 4 leds built into the brim. 4 watch batteries and is perfect so can use both hands while troubleshooting.
Posted By: lizard

Re: Flashlights - 11/17/15 03:09 PM

I'm a streamlight snob. I have 2 poly stingers and a micro single AAA. the stingers are plastic housings (good for the safety gastopo ) the micro is aluminum housing but comes with a pocket clip that also has a clip to mount it on the beak of your ball cap.I also have a streamlight headlight but it eats AAA pretty quick

Re: Flashlights - 01/06/16 12:55 AM

Just an update, it's been three months and I think I have a keeper.

Streamlight Stylist Pro,

So far it's holding well and the charge last.

Re: Flashlights - 01/06/16 03:23 PM

We got the ball caps for the guys a couple of years ago and everyone loved them. For fishing, BBQ, Hunting, ect. No one wore then to work though? Guess you have to be a hat guy.....HAAAA

Re: Flashlights - 01/06/16 03:47 PM

Yeah, not much of a hat guy myself. Only when we hit really low temps. I like the BBQ usage! Too funny they all share they are using them so creatively. Sounds like you have a good group.

Re: Flashlights - 09/15/16 12:01 PM

It's been a year now. Here are my opinions on the flashlights.

The pelican works well! But, eats batteries too quickly...

The Streamlight stylus pro USB rechargeable has been working great! To this day it holds a charge extremely well, the on/off button has yet t fail and it puts out plenty light.

Thanks for all the recommendations.
Posted By: BRG

Re: Flashlights - 09/18/16 02:09 PM

I prefer the Pelican 2410 LED. hard plastic......non-conductive.

Re: Flashlights - 09/18/16 03:10 PM

Do they make a version that is rechargeable?

Also I recommend Wrapping the streamlight flashlight with heat shrink.
Posted By: Indirtwetrust

Re: Flashlights - 09/18/16 03:38 PM

I have used a Streamlight Strion for 5 years now, I think it is perfect. I also bought the HL version but found it too be too bright and the battery wouldn't last all day with heavy use at that level. I wish they made it in plastic but I don't hold my flashlight with my mouth either, not a germ-a-phobe but I grab that thing with hands covered in crud from hospitals etc. I work for a major and have never been questioned about the metal light.

I also like the Streamlight knucklehead and used it for a year or 2 until I lost it but I no longer carry a big enough bag for that kind of light.

Now for a work light I just wear this little Fluke on my hat. I love it! Not that bright but plenty of light when clipped to my head, it takes a single AAA and I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithium. And it's also a non-contact voltage detector.

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/electrical-testers/fluke-lvd1.html

Re: Flashlights - 04/05/17 01:43 AM

just wanted to close this out!

The streamlight stylus rechargeable flashlight I purchased about 20 months ago has lasted the test of time.

Like the bunny! It's still going...

Thank you
© 2024 Elevator Forum