Home

Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines

Posted By: Indirtwetrust

Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/08/17 12:10 AM

I'm looking for some insight on these machines. I have a pretty severe rumbling at high speed (400fpm). It seems to me that something is not true or not aligned correctly. Is there any way to tram these things? I found a section in an old Westinghouse repair manual on "Aligning two bearing motors to machine worm shaft" but I would call this a 1 bearing machine and there are no pics. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: danzeitz

Re: Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/08/17 12:57 PM

I would make sure your ring gear isn't bottomed on the worm. This isn't too bad to check on a Westinghouse with their inspection plate. But the star lock ring on thrust bearing are know to break and the lock nut backs loose. And the beating assembly go bad behind the packing and will cause the machine to lock up. So the first two are easy to check before you go to the last option.

Re: Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/08/17 02:43 PM

Ya that actually just happened to this machine. It did this for at least 10 years before locking up though. It seemed a little better after they replaced all the bearings but a month later it's as bad as ever.
Posted By: E-man

Re: Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/09/17 01:54 AM

Is the brake drum moving forward and reverse when it runs?
Posted By: danzeitz

Re: Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/09/17 12:03 PM

could also be spider gears if you have replaced and checked the rest.

Re: Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/11/17 02:22 AM

What are Spider gears?
Posted By: chicago

Re: Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/15/17 01:11 PM

High speed noise usually thrust bearing or motor bearings. Low speed noise spider
Posted By: uppo72

Re: Westinghouse #38 and #58 Geared Machines - 02/18/17 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Indirtwetrust
What are Spider gears?

Is the spider gear, what we call the worm wheel or gear? The spiral lower gear that actually drives the ring gear attached to the sheave? You can usually tell if the work gear is worn, with the back lash rock on stopping.
© 2024 Elevator Forum