Home

Anybody leave the field to be an inspector/

Posted By: JimboNJ

Anybody leave the field to be an inspector/ - 10/21/17 12:57 PM

Was wondering if anybody on the site had left behind being a mechanic to be an inspector / consultant - been in the field for 17 years and getting an offer to be an inspector for the state. Can't make up my mind ! Lol. I love troubleshooting but hate cleaning pits and walking up 20 story double headers at midnight like the rest of us .- I'm 37 yrs old
Posted By: Rolly

Re: Anybody leave the field to be an inspector/ - 10/21/17 01:55 PM

Get your QEI if you don't already have it.

Re: Anybody leave the field to be an inspector/ - 10/21/17 09:54 PM

Qei isn't recognized in nj. I have a nj Inspector's liscene -
Posted By: elmcannic

Re: Anybody leave the field to be an inspector/ - 10/22/17 09:08 AM

I know of four guys that left the industry to become inspectors. Two couldn't take it, and in less than 1 year they came back into the field. Two are still in and they love being cop like.
Guess you'd need to compare benefits from your state at retirement age as compared to pushing till 62 or 65 in the union, or 58 plus what you might gain from working for the state (i.e. health care covered (right?) if you started now and deferred your union pension until the appropriate time). You might even loose out on growth regarding the union annuity-and how to handle your 401k?
How much would you be losing in annual wages going to the state? If it's significant, can you make it work for your family?
Work it out on paper with your spouse if that's the case, so you can clearly see the differences.
Hope it works if that's what you'd like to do.
Posted By: john jay

Re: Anybody leave the field to be an inspector/ - 10/22/17 04:09 PM

You should also consider the value/loss of the annuity. That adds up considerably over the years.

Re: Anybody leave the field to be an inspector/ - 10/22/17 04:53 PM

Thanks guys. Will def have to do some math with wifey
© 2024 Elevator Forum