Home

HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach

Posted By: Hope&Poke

HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach - 01/29/20 06:41 AM

Anyone have information on " how to " disassemble Hollister Whitney brake , adjust, clean coil . Same for #38 Westinghouse machine. This kid is wanting to do right and when I reached out...I get the oh NO... don't mess with it cause you're gonna make it worst then they will have to do a 125% load test.i figured they never done it B4. But I m not scared. Any information would be appreciated.
Posted By: RustyIron

Re: HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach - 02/01/20 05:30 AM

I'm a fan of having weights brought out when any substantial work is done to a brake.
Posted By: DripCan

Re: HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach - 02/01/20 11:46 PM

Go onto HW web site they have documents for your job not that bad to do they don’t recommend Vaseline an graffit they want it dry I use a dry graffit spray lube works great
Posted By: UpandDown2321

Re: HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach - 02/02/20 01:15 PM

If you touch the springs or shoes weight tests are automatic. The days of putting it back where it was are done. Too much is left to chance on that method
Posted By: john jay

Re: HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach - 02/02/20 03:40 PM

FYI, 8.6.4.6.2, states that if any adjustment is made to the Brake, that affects the holding capacity, you must test it. It also references 8.6.20.4, which states you must seal the adjustment with a tag identifying the person, or firm making the test. This went into effect in the A17.1-2000 code.
Posted By: Hope&Poke

Re: HW brake and 38 Westinghouse mach - 02/13/20 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies. The HW website was helpful, they're offering training this summer. I ended up removing, cleaning, and lubricating the pins, coil and plunger. Replaced switch. Springs and shoes were still in good condition so I left them alone. Good experience. I even got a few hairs on my chest.
© 2024 Elevator Forum