Home

safety question

Posted By: BillS

safety question - 06/04/20 02:52 AM

A question for all.
I am trying to determine the situations where it is absolutely necessary to operate an elevator when you are in the pit, traction or hydro. By absolutely necessary I mean exactly that. There is no other way, it is not a question of convenience.
How do you do it? Pit inspection station? second guy with car top inspection?

Thanks
Posted By: elmcannic

Re: safety question - 06/04/20 04:16 AM

Do you mean like replacing lower roller guide wheel(s) in a 6’ pit?
I’ve always utilized a second mechanic as there really is no other way to get this replacement done by ones self safely unless there is a 6’ ladder at your disposal. I suppose any work where the unit has to be lowered to the point where a safe and adequate exit point cannot be provided would require a second mechanic to run the car.
Hope that example addresses your question.
Posted By: ElevatorGuy128

Re: safety question - 06/04/20 10:11 AM

Second guy always... With the exception of a new install in which you'd have temp buttons and could run the car yourself while in the pit... for fully auto elevators that have work to be done that requires you to be in the pit i always have a helper that is knowledgeable...they'll either run the car from the car top inspection station or from bottom access.
Posted By: Silly

Re: safety question - 06/05/20 03:27 AM

2nd guy, all the time, every time. Changing bottom guides, repacking ingrounds, trouble shooting noises while coming into bottom floor only, doesn't matter.
© 2024 Elevator Forum