Home

Cemco/ESI electromagnetic brake

Posted By: Chris

Cemco/ESI electromagnetic brake - 02/23/23 12:32 PM

I posted the following in the schematics section but I also wanted to post it here if that's allowed

Hi
We have been contacted to remove an old platform lift in a stage. It is a Cemco unit with an in ground jack and an ESI controller. It is equipped with electromagnetic brakes that keep the platform from drifting while not in use. Does anyone have the schematics for this type of brake or is there a manual way to lift the brake.
Thanks in advance for any help
Chris
See attached pic

Attached File
20230209_111526.jpg  (22 downloads)
Posted By: EElevator

Re: Cemco/ESI electromagnetic brake - 02/24/23 03:11 AM

A brake coil is just a coil, it just needs current to flow to magnetize. If you power it with the right voltage to cause the current to flow, it will lift. I would just manually apply the right voltage to the coil and unbolt the thing and take it off first. Take a look at the coil and see if it has the voltage on it, you can use a transformer and rectifiers if necessary to create whatever voltage you need. I'd wire it in with a switch to have easier control of it.

If you don't have prints to make the connections in the controller you can wire directly to the brake coil in its junction box under the car.

Make sure the hydraulic system is holding before you do release it.

Re: Cemco/ESI electromagnetic brake - 03/01/23 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info, that's what i will do if I don't get any further with the prints. The good thing is the styles extend past the brakes, we will use rail blocks under the shoes before I lift the brake. safety first!

Re: Cemco/ESI electromagnetic brake - 04/13/23 03:29 PM

With a little persistence I came across the old schematics. See attached, Thanks for your suggestions!!

Attached File
20230413_080122.jpg  (21 downloads)
Posted By: solidstate

Re: Cemco/ESI electromagnetic brake - 04/13/23 05:55 PM

That APPEARS to be a Southeastern unit not a CEMCO.
© 2024 Elevator Forum