Home

VALVE Pipe sealers

Posted By: KSNY

VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/30/24 07:17 PM

Let’s talk about Elevator valves (Maxton, EECO & Blain) and the thread sealers you use for the pipes in/out of it. When its not a VIC we use a variety of compounds depending on jobs but lately I feel like they are all leaking no matter what we use. Some of my plumber friends told me to use Teflon tape and blue monster ptfe sealer. I was always told to use one or the other but never both together. Trying to see what others use to seal valve pipes to prevent leaks. I know one company uses some epoxy that destroys the valve threads because you cannot separate the pipe and valve even with a lot of heat.

What do you use? What do you recommend being used?
Posted By: Montana

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/30/24 08:36 PM

Expando
Posted By: EElevator

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/30/24 10:33 PM

Expando. When you absolutely don't want it to leak. Expando.

Clean your pipe threads dry, brake clean is best here, put powder in a cup, use a water bottle cap to add a few drops of water at a time. Do not make it too thin. Mix until its around as thick as a smoothie or soft serve ice cream. Apply (I apply to both female and male sides).

Now, you MUST, and I mean must, wait 24 hours before pressurizing the system. Or it won't have time to setup and harden. If you use it correctly it will not leak. I've ran pipes on closed in walls with it and zero issues.

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/30/24 10:34 PM

Epoxy is the "I'm retiring in 2 years I don't care" option. Never used it but I've heard what you said, no leaks but you won't get it back apart.
Posted By: Bowtiedrooster16

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/31/24 01:46 AM

Expando is the one and done till a mod option. If you clean it with contact cleaner and a wire brush,let it sit and dry for a min , then put the expando on, it may never come apart but it also won't leak... I also will do a thin coat of blue monster pipe dope, then 3 wraps of blue monster tape, then more dope over the tape. We have jobs 10+ years old with that method and no leaks. 10+ years ago it might not have been blue monster but that's what we've used for as far back as I can remember
Posted By: MX4

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/31/24 02:22 AM

EXPANDO! Follow EElevators instructions!
Posted By: KSNY

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/31/24 07:38 PM

Will expando come apart if you need to replace the valve? Or not going to happen?

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/31/24 10:34 PM

It is supposed to come apart yes
Posted By: MX4

Re: VALVE Pipe sealers - 01/31/24 10:35 PM

EXPANDO will come apart but not easy, have your helper hit the coupling while you turn with wrench.
© 2024 Elevator Forum