Home

State Licensing

Posted By: dre1383

State Licensing - 04/05/11 01:05 AM

I'm looking to find out how many states require mechanics to carry a state license to work on elevators. If anyone works in one of these states please let me know what your requirements are and any continuing education requirements. I believe Massachusetts, Michigan, Indiana, Washington, Oregon, Texas, and California are among the few. I am a mechanic in NY where we do not have any state requirements. Any insight would be great.
Thank you
Posted By: strangetwo

Re: State Licensing - 04/05/11 11:06 PM

Va has licensing. relatively new
Posted By: PGL

Re: State Licensing - 04/09/11 09:27 PM

Connecticut New Hampshire Vermont all have licensing laws
Posted By: Vatorman15

Re: State Licensing - 04/28/11 04:23 PM

As does Wisconsin
Posted By: E-man

Re: State Licensing - 05/09/11 02:44 PM

Georgia has been requiring them for several years now. Every 2 years you have to take an 8hr class. They started offering online classes 2yrs ago. Now you can take it online and print out the certificate of completion plus a form from the Local and take it to the Department of Labor and get your license. The material was half elevator education and the other half was elevator safety. Very useful IMO.
Posted By: Kone D

Re: State Licensing - 02/13/14 04:43 AM

Mississippi does, louisiana dont but it's coming. Not sure about alabama.
Posted By: elevatorpat

Re: State Licensing - 02/14/14 01:55 AM

Florida does. Got to take 8 hrs of CE each year and prove 4 yrs valid work experience as a helper.

Re: State Licensing - 02/14/14 01:56 AM

4 yes as a helped before you can get a cet mechanics license from state

Re: State Licensing - 02/14/14 01:57 AM

Yrs*** and helper***
Posted By: Kone D

Re: State Licensing - 02/15/14 12:59 AM

You know about Alabama? I'm not sure, I haven't talked to any buddies from 124 or 24 lately. In Mississippi we had to send a copy of our union transcripts along with some $$.
Posted By: guydan

Re: State Licensing - 02/18/14 02:44 AM

CA has licensing also. Has been in place approx. 6 years. Must prove 4 years experience/schooling (like apprentice school) OR take a test on codes and pass it as well as proving prior experience. Have to renew every 2 years. Have to demonstrate work hours AND show completion of continuing ed. class on codes. Dont forget the check!!!
Posted By: haughtoneer

Re: State Licensing - 03/04/14 01:38 AM

maryland and washington D.C. are in the implementation stage, laws have been passed
Posted By: Silly

Re: State Licensing - 03/18/14 04:39 AM

Washington state has it. Aptitude test or apprenticeship completion required. CE 8 hours every two years for renewal. Believe I heard Montana was beginning to do the same. Alaska currently does not have any state requirement.
© 2024 Elevator Forum