Home

Otis schematic symbol

Posted By: Lev

Otis schematic symbol - 09/21/22 03:06 PM

Dear all
I have attached a screeshot with marking. Can anyone tell me the meaning of it.

Regards
Levo

Attached File
Posted By: LAmech

Re: Otis schematic symbol - 09/23/22 09:03 PM

Not an Otis guy, but I'm thinking it's a variable capacitor or [i]maybe[i] a MOV. It's the only option that makes sense and not to far off from the modern symbol.

It shouldn't be to hard to figure out from looking at the full print or controller though.
Posted By: john jay

Re: Otis schematic symbol - 09/23/22 10:43 PM

It is a Dog shaft switch. Under the car, on the pull-out safeties shaft. A switch that has to be manually reset.

Re: Otis schematic symbol - 09/24/22 02:27 AM

Dear LAmech,
This symbol shown across the normally close contact.
Regards
Lev
Posted By: LAmech

Re: Otis schematic symbol - 09/24/22 07:31 AM

Yes, a capacitor across a contact will prevent an arc from forming when the contact begins to open, especially when there's an inductive load like a motor on the other end. Normally there's a resistor in series so the cap doesn't discharge as the contact closes and cause another arc. But if the power is cut from the relay, and the load discharges the cap before the relay drops, then I don't think you would need a resistor at all. And it being a variable variety would allow the mechanic to adjust it in the field until the arc is no longer seen instead of measures and doing math and ordering the needed size.

https://www.te.com/commerce/Documen...36_AppNote&DocType=CS&DocLang=EN the last page of this pamphlet describes what i'm talking about.

Not sure if this is the correct answer, just what I see when I look at the print.

Re: Otis schematic symbol - 09/24/22 02:47 PM

Dear LAmech,
Yes. This is possibly a varistor. Thanks for your input.

Regards
Levo
Posted By: NY Guy

Re: Otis schematic symbol - 11/27/22 10:41 PM

I agree to this being a Varistor type component. Could be used as a suppressor or surge protection.
© 2024 Elevator Forum