Home

Lost a Brother

Posted By: E311

Lost a Brother - 11/02/13 11:45 PM

http://www.iueclocal21.org/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=367078

This is one of the many reasons why we need to always be carful.
Posted By: mjm

Re: Lost a Brother - 11/03/13 01:51 PM

There is surprisingly little information on the web about this, I might say that we here in Local 8 lost a 63 year old Mechanic for Schindler Elevator at the new SF 49er stadium a few months ago. Sad. Apparently, while working in construction, he was said to be on a ladder in the pit and the counterweight of that car he was working on came down and struck him somehow. His proby helper was told to take the car up and get something for him. I don't know much more and I don't think the helper was at fault but I also heard, he came out of retirement to work on the project. I did not know him. But rip. Lock out, tag out?
Posted By: bayblue

Re: Lost a Brother - 11/06/13 09:39 PM

I believe this gentleman was in a basement machine room with an open hoistway trying to access the car top by stepping on the shive. It seems as though the power was still on and he got wrapped up in the shive. This is through the grapevine knowledge so take it with a grain of salt. Very sad, we must never get complacent on the job. Rip brother.
Posted By: E311

Re: Lost a Brother - 11/07/13 02:52 PM

I talked with a buddy of mine, his Dad works at T. Its a bad situation all over.
Posted By: Postal

Re: Lost a Brother - 11/08/13 02:30 AM

I spoke with his superintendent yesterday at the funeral and the accident investigation is not complete

Originally Posted By: bayblue
I believe this gentleman was in a basement machine room with an open hoistway trying to access the car top by stepping on the shive. It seems as though the power was still on and he got wrapped up in the shive. This is through the grapevine knowledge so take it with a grain of salt. Very sad, we must never get complacent on the job. Rip brother.
© 2024 Elevator Forum