Home

Siemens Solid-State Starters

Posted By: Administrator

Siemens Solid-State Starters - 10/09/09 01:23 AM

Hey everyone if you have been losing the displays on the Siemens soild-state starters causing the starter to fail, it's caused by the C45 capacitor shorting on the display board. When the capacitor shorts it opens the 22 ohm resistor providing power to the board.
Siemens is aware of the problem but as of now they are still not replacing the starters due to manufacture defect. We have lost 6 starters since the beginning of the year. You should send the starters back to your vender to try and get replacements. Good Luck!!
Posted By: Scott Davidson

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 10/09/09 04:45 AM

hey lift-tech, I was also curious as to why the we lost the display on a couple of starters after a power spike in long beach. We replaced the drives to get the cars running, but curiosity got the best of me. I opened up the drive, and found the 22 ohm resistor opened, I couldn't find any other problems, so i put a 1 amp pico fuse in place of the 22 ohm resistor. When I applied power to the drive, the display circuit board went up in smoke before I could turn off the power, alot of the board was cooked by this time, so i wasnt able to determine the original cause. Have you replaced the c45 capacitor on a damaged unit and were able to put it back in service?

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 10/10/09 04:35 PM

If you cut out the C45 Cap. and replace the 22 ohm 3 watt resistor the starter will operate normally. I'm just not sure what the cap is doing in the circuit, I think it's just a filter cap.
Posted By: Elevatorman_1

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 11/14/09 12:15 PM

The only problem we have been having with those starters is the relay contacts in the fault circuit going bad... if you jump those contacts, it will operate... I don't advise doing that, but that is what we have found...
Haven't had a display go bad...
Posted By: Nausetlight

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 01/06/10 11:25 AM

I would never use the onboard contacts to drive anything other than a control relay, too much hassle when the contacts fail. Same goes for any brand of "soft start". Nothing will upset a customer like buying something that was supposedly an upgrade and ending up with problems.
Posted By: Mountainlifter

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 02/22/10 12:21 PM

Good topic
Posted By: ElevJoe

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 03/01/10 02:59 PM

I came up with a isolation circuirt to protect the "Up to Speed" contacts in the starter in case of excessive current due to hydro valve coil failure.

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 03/13/10 05:05 AM

Hey guys, Siemens has finally started to repair these defective units if they are within a certain date code. We have sent back about 6 of them so far and have had them repaired at no cost. Just give your vendor the date codes and they can call them to see if they qualify.
Posted By: Scott Davidson

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 04/23/10 02:19 AM

hey lift-tech, I have repaired two of these in the field by following your advice. It takes about 15 minutes. I have been checking on both of them and they are still running, one about 3 months and the other about 45 days, with no faults. if your in a pinch this is a great tip.
Posted By: Tomahawk

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 05/03/10 07:04 AM

Hey Lift-Tech

You made me a hero dude!

Glenn

Re: Siemens Solid-State Starters - 05/04/10 06:10 AM

Did you fix one in an emergency? Glad I could help!
© 2024 Elevator Forum