Home

40 year old Apprentice

Posted By: FalcFan

40 year old Apprentice - 07/18/16 11:36 PM

Passed the aptitude test, and have my interview scheduled for this week. I'm 40 years old. Am I crazy?!?

Are there other apprentices out there my age?
Posted By: JimboNJ

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 10:53 AM

Being crazy is not a requirement for elevators , but it helps ...... Good luck man ,hope it works out
Posted By: DisplayName

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 01:50 PM

FalcFan....you are totally Crazy! And so am I, I am over 40. My brother once had a 50 year old apprentice.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 02:29 PM

Haha!!! Thanks for the encouragement!
Posted By: danzeitz

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 03:54 PM

Started a 59 year old last week. He ended up in the hospital the evening after his first day!!

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 04:00 PM

Damn, Dan. I think i am in better shape. Hope he is ok.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 04:09 PM

Oh man, yeah I hope he ends up ok. I currently work a desk job, so I've been trying to hit the gym to get my body in shape for the work. I'll admit, I think 59 may be pushing it, unless you are in excellent shape.
If I don't get called from this list then I'll just stick to my current career because I'll just be that much closer to 50 the next time around.
I heard about the Kone employee who died on the job yesterday. My heart goes out to his family. He was 42 with 20 years experience.
Posted By: danzeitz

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 07:13 PM

Last I heard he was OK! and there is almost 20 years difference so if your in descent shape you should be fine. But this guy was trying to start a career when most elevator men talk about retirement. This business can wear a body out after 30 or 40 years. Hahahaha!
Posted By: ElecTech

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/19/16 07:20 PM

Well assuming he is ok and decides to call it quits, at least he tried. Better than kicking himself over it later.
Posted By: xxXBlazeXxx

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/20/16 12:08 AM

Never to old, unless you can't work safely. Be safe an enjoy.
Posted By: Bl3ss3d

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/20/16 12:48 AM

Plenty apprentices your age get hired. Some make it, some don't. The ones who do, have a good work ethic and willingness to learn. This trade isn't for everyone, though. People think, just because we get paid what we do, that they can make it in the trade. It's a great trade/career. You get to work with great individuals, and at times not so great individuals. For the most part, everyone will help/teach you, just as long as you show them you want to learn. Learn as much as you can, and work hard, but most of all "Work Safe".

Good luck!

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/20/16 02:43 PM

Good to hear and good advice. Thanks BL3ss3d.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/21/16 09:41 PM

My interview went well, it seemed. Plenty of older guys there. Hope to hear some news within a week.

Thanks for easing my mind guys.
Posted By: chuggins25

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/22/16 09:48 PM

Good luck! I start Tuesday!
Posted By: dre1383

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 07/24/16 03:09 PM

As an interviewer during our last recruitment we had 21-58 yr old men and woman show up. One applicant graduated college before I was actually born, which I found crazy. I understand how appealing our business has become but its not for everyone. At 40, if you make it you could still put in 25 yrs. Are you willing to do to school one night a week for the next four yrs after working a ten hour day? Its not just a big paycheck, there are so many more responsibilities. Good luck.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/01/16 05:37 PM

Well, Guys, I'm ranked #101. Doesn't look good for me. I enjoyed the experience, and wish you guys nothing but the best. Stay safe!

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/01/16 10:54 PM

What city and local list? 101 in some cities is bad and in others its not so bad. I had a nephew that was ranked 153 and got called. He didn't take the job though.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/01/16 11:30 PM

Atlanta Local 32.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/02/16 02:30 AM

I think Atlanta has had 2 recruitments in two years so it seems like they must be hiring quite a few. Maybe ask around to find out where the last list was.
Posted By: Joe45

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/02/16 07:01 AM

There was a guy on another post that said he was 175 on Chicago's list and he ended up getting his call in a couple months.
Posted By: Joe45

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/02/16 07:02 AM

I interview the 11th for local 18 Vegas. Hope I make a good impression!
Posted By: nick9437

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/06/16 10:31 PM

Atlanta!=Chicago

Chicago had more high rises built in '15 than any other city in our country. Which is why Local 2 got up to the lower 200s on the list.

Regardless, it's not the end of the world for OP. TRUST ME!!! I'd look into running a crane if I was 40... 40 is way too old and too much BS to deal with to start this trade that late in life.

Posted By: ss2112

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/11/16 03:00 AM

Hello everyone - I'm getting ready to take my EIAT in 2 weeks. Any clues as to what's on the test? I was told multiplying, dividing fractions and decimals - but is there more stuff? Thanks
Posted By: Pinche

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/11/16 09:57 PM

There's about 30 pages of what to expect thru the process under apprentice advice. Take the time to research and read it like everyone else did.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/11/16 11:33 PM

I don't know the total number of members in your local, but I think you should be fine. I know Atlanta is not a big local, like Miami, SF, LA, etc....Keep in mind people get offered the job, only to either not answer their phone when called, have phone disconnected/changed. Or simply just not show up/turn it down. Some just quit on their first day, when they see the high rise they'll be working in, if they work traction. Especially catching the buckhoist up 70 stories +/-.
A newly hired apprentice once quit on us (TKE). I was getting out my car, he introduced himself, i did as well. When he saw the tower we were working on he asked "Is that where we're working at"! I said yes. He asked, are we on the bottom, I said no, we're topping out on rails. See the buckhoist, we have to catch that all the way up. Since the cars were on top, obviously. He said, I can't do this, I'm leaving. I told him, can you leave me your safety bag, and he did.
Long story short, not everyone will take/want the job. So your name will move up on the list rather quickly. Who knows, you might get into Mods/Repairs and not traction.
At least, give it a shot, you might like it!
Good luck.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/12/16 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bl3ss3d
...Keep in mind people get offered the job, only to either not answer their phone when called...

This is one of my concerns about this part of the process. Some of the buildings that I've gone to school in or worked in have had shaky reception. My motors class was in the basement we had to go outside to make phone calls. So you miss the call, that's it?? I can't imagine missing the call because I was in an elevator of all places.

I know someone wrote in another thread that his local (2?) transcribed his phone number wrong and so he never got the call. But they just put him back on the list when he phoned in to ask about the list I believe, something not recommended be done.

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 08/12/16 03:33 PM

When I got in, I remember sitting at the hall. They emphasized... Make sure all your info is correct. If it's not we will move right along. Times have changed since then. I believe they give a window/timeframe to get back to them. How long I don't know. My current apprentice is a 50%, so he keeps me informed.
Posted By: 42764

Re: 40 year old Apprentice - 05/11/21 02:06 PM

Old thread bump, trying to get in at 43...lol
© 2024 Elevator Forum