Home

screenwriter seeks pro advice re electromag brakes

Posted By: kandelero

screenwriter seeks pro advice re electromag brakes - 10/17/17 02:22 PM

Ahoy hoy, elevator professionals. I'm writing a spec script where the lead is an experienced elevator repairman and needs to drop a car many floors during a blackout -- from inside the car with no tools but a knife. Realistically, this may be impossible given the number of redundancies/ safety features on standard elevators. Semi-realistically, I'd like to know if there is a way to override electromagnet brakes from inside the car. Can the electrical line to the brake coils be accessed through the car floor or ceiling? How much voltage is actually required to energize a standard coil? (between us: lower the better for my hero, who in his sticky position has access to maybe 25 volts DC, but this is a movie, so I can fudge).

next questions will concern dealing with the counterweight and how much shock an absorber piston will really save a human from, but step by step...

thanks in advance.
Posted By: danzeitz

Re: screenwriter seeks pro advice re electromag brakes - 10/18/17 10:49 AM

kandelero- PM me
Posted By: hog451

Re: screenwriter seeks pro advice re electromag brakes - 10/18/17 10:18 PM

spec script? Dude, don't do spec work.

https://vimeo.com/22053820
Posted By: kandelero

Re: screenwriter seeks pro advice re electromag brakes - 10/19/17 05:00 PM

thank you for your unsolicited advice, hog451.

Now back to the real question: what's the minimum voltage required to flip a relay switch to release an emergency brake coil?
© 2024 Elevator Forum