Who's Online Now
1 registered members (JJR), 29 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,509
Posts36,847
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8176 - 08/20/13 02:34 AM Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing  
aquadag Offline
elevator lifer
aquadag  Offline
elevator lifer

NYC
OK guys let it out here. It seems there is a lot of anger and such out here. How about we put it here instead of on one of our own. Let it rip. shocked cry

PS sorry admin I guess it's probably not the right place but...

Last edited by aquadag; 08/20/13 02:37 AM.
#8177 - 08/20/13 02:43 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: aquadag]  
aquadag Offline
elevator lifer
aquadag  Offline
elevator lifer

NYC
I'll start:

I can't stand when some genius moves my barricades, Then complains that the elevator's not working and when the hell am I gonna finally fix it.

Last edited by aquadag; 08/20/13 02:44 AM.
#8178 - 08/20/13 03:01 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: aquadag]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Aquadag

My all time favorite is when they tell you that they have had to walk the stairs all day...

WTF!

I started to tell them every building we go to we have to use the stairs too!

Make good choices,

JKH
#8180 - 08/20/13 03:16 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: jkh]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Whats is there too complain about? I don't have to sit behind a desk all day, I get paid for what I know, my brain gets a daily workout on complex problems the tougher the better, I get to work with live electricity, I get to ride the best roller coaster in the world (cartop at 1400fpm), and everyday I learn something new.

Yeah there is some stuff in this trade that gets on my nerves but there isn't anything else in the world I rather be doing. I fix problems only a few people in this city can. 2-3 hours troubleshooting racking my brain and then I fix it...most satisfying feeling in the world to me.

What pisses me off is a fellow mechanic leaving a job worst then they found it. Someone who takes no pride in what we do, someone who throws in a crap job and is willing to put their name on it. We make damn good money so do you job right, fix it right the first time, don't half ass Crap, and clean up behind yourself.

#8187 - 08/20/13 05:03 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Philly Offline
enthusiast
Philly  Offline
enthusiast

I actually had to pull an arrogant asshole out of an escalator pit once. And the whole time was screaming about how he was going to sue me, the store and everyone else within eyesight. After reviewing the security tapes, this jackass actually ripped the stores do not enter/caution tape, slid two velvet rope stands out of the way, kicked down my barricade and then proceeded to fall head first into the pit. He said he was in a rush and was going walk up the escalator instead of walking seven more steps and waiting for the elevator. He deserved every stitch he got. Its hard to feel sorry for stupidity.

#8191 - 08/20/13 12:31 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: Philly]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

I was told 'Your an effing c***' on the first day on the job at a shopping centre when we had cordoned off a travelator, which had a step out and we were running it and I told a rather large lady she had to walk another 15m's to the lifts. Suffice it to say I kept my mouth shut, but my boss politely told this lady the direction where to go.

#8197 - 08/20/13 08:42 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: uppo72]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Brett
What's a travelator? Is that the Brand name or a local term down under!

Make good choices,

JKH
#8200 - 08/20/13 09:51 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: jkh]  
billvator Offline
journeyman
billvator  Offline
journeyman

cleaning pits one day, was taking an old corn broom to the trash when the building maintenance supervisor asked me if i was riding that home???? bit my tongue!! not the first time he has made a smart ass remark.

#8201 - 08/21/13 12:48 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: billvator]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

"bet your job has a lot of ups and downs" good one, never heard that one before
"is this safe to ride?" you and 3 other people are in the car
"this elevator is broken again" havent been to the building in months
"im not going to hurt you if i push this button, right?" push before answer

#8205 - 08/21/13 06:53 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: jkh]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: jkh
Brett

Ha sorry mate, a Trav-O-lator is the brand name for an Otis moving walkway however this wasn't the brand I was working on. I've just used it as a generic name for a moving walkway.

Last edited by uppo72; 08/21/13 07:00 AM.
#8209 - 08/21/13 11:44 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: jkh]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
kiwinightstalker  Offline
mushroom

Originally Posted By: jkh
Brett

Trav-o-lator IS an OTIS trademark...seems to be a common term for this type of equipment...others call it "moving walks" etc!!!
Just like Kone when they bought out the Monospace...then all MRLs seemed to be refered to them as that.
Oh just to add my 2 cents worth...why do they have such silly names for models/ companies.....schindler has the "smart" which isnt (especially the early ones) and Brilliant elevators dont seem to be...LOL

I used to be indecisive....now i"m not so sure
#8223 - 08/21/13 11:00 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Otis calls the J with glass a J-aire....instead of a escalator its a escalaire....

I officially hate MRLS again. Lost a brake coil on a Torin machine today. Tomorrow ill be hanging the car removing the ropes, Guess great job security for the future I guess.

#8224 - 08/22/13 12:22 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: sbrmilitia]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
hhhhmm...lemme see, all of the above are awesome! I was in a truss, inside the step band with four steps removed one day at a department store, barricades up, signs up,locked and tagged. It was a big ol Westinghouse "N". I hear this thump, thump coming up the stairs. I peak out of the truss and a woman is cussing at me. "don't you stop me, I have my rights!" she hollers. I'm so surprised I just stared at her, not knowing what to say. She jumps over me and continues up the steps. When I was much younger, my Mechanic and I were cleaning a hydro pit. The doors were open and a barricade was up. The hall doors were closed on a screw driver with about four inches of an opening. Next thing I know the hall doors fly open and my Mechanic is holding a woman in his arms smile

#8225 - 08/22/13 01:23 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: E311]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Thanks Brett & Kiwi

I was all theory and absolutely no practical for walk ways or escalators. Strangely I've only ever helped other mechanic when they need a pair of hands and no one else was available.

Greenpants, I get those comments too! They are not as funny as they seem to think they are. But I politely acknowledge their attempt at humor. I've certainly fell short on many attempts. What I would like would be an arsenal of witty responses!

Make good choices,

JKH
#8227 - 08/22/13 02:01 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: jkh]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Most of these stories back the saying you cant fix stupid. I was out in some small town on a 3 stop hydro. Didn't have a barricade so I grabbed a chair taped a out of order sign and placed it inside the car. Walked out to my truck grabbed a couple things and met the building owner who gave me access to the machine room. Put the car on door disconnect and hit the main line to swap a relay. I get a call on my cell of a entrapment. Took me a second to put two and two together it was on the car I was working on. I ran up to the second floor popped the door open and there was a lady inside the cab. I had the lights turned off and that chair inside the car. She told me that she thought the sign on the chair meant the lights in the elevator were out of order or the chair was out of order. I got a good laugh out of that one.

#8230 - 08/22/13 03:32 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: sbrmilitia]  
aquadag Offline
elevator lifer
aquadag  Offline
elevator lifer

NYC
What is it with people having sex in an elevator?.

I just fixed the last problem in the group controller in a 4 bank of neglected dovers. I was on my way out for the day checking the cars one last time and the number 1 car stops about 2 foot or so above the first floor. I heard the arrival ding but no doors? So in a panic I open the door to the elevator to see if anyone was trapped and there was a very old and I mean old, nurse and a porter just banging away. I knew these two from around the hospital. Let's just say we were all embarrassed. But none more than the 60 year old nurse pulling here panties up in a shameful rush. And the porter running down the hallway trying to put away and hide a boner. It was 4:00 on a Friday so the 4 bank lobby was full of people. Glad it wasn't my grandparents. EWWW was most definitely the words that came to my mind. Oh yeah and they were both married, just not to each other. Neither of them could look me in the eyes for a while. I so wanted to just "bark like a dog" every time I saw one of them

Last edited by aquadag; 08/22/13 03:39 AM.
#8231 - 08/22/13 11:36 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: aquadag]  
danzeitz Offline
addict
danzeitz  Offline
addict

st.louis mo
I love it when you have an elevator down in a bank and someone (almost always a women) runs up hits the button looks at their watch and then snarls at you thanks now I will be late to work. Now that is cutting it close.. Had a buddy that had all his barricades up and the steps removed on an escalator. He is bent over working and hears a noise and looks up and here comes a guys with his suitcase.(this was at the airport)balancing from step axel to axel down the unit!!!!

#8239 - 08/23/13 05:33 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: danzeitz]  
rollaway-up Offline
2nd Generation
rollaway-up  Offline
2nd Generation

Canada
Greenpants awesome you nailed that. Generic public comments are so awesome

"bet your job has a lot of ups and downs" good one, never heard that one before
"is this safe to ride?" you and 3 other people are in the car
"this elevator is broken again" havent been to the building in months
"im not going to hurt you if i push this button, right?" push before answer

Cant forget about the people who have been in an elevator or saw one that "free fell"
and also
"cant you guys do this at night?" sign here please

I do get this one retired engineer a few times a year that watches me oil my escalators and is still waiting for me to start lubricating them with water. yep, he once kept a whole factory running on water instead of oil. Has done many experiments and published some papers at the University. Hes not the usual escalator loiterer tho, he would have definitely fooled me had it not been for the obvious.

#8257 - 08/25/13 07:15 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: rollaway-up]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

i forgot the "cant you do this at night?" comments. i always reply to those with the standard "can't you walk the stairs?" or "sorry for the inconvenience. ill just leave this elevator down until the night guy shows up" and start to put my tool away.

#8258 - 08/25/13 07:29 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: GreenPants]  
Len Offline
Len  Offline

...My two favorites call for emergency entrapment..while you are rushing to get there ..fifeteen minutes later they cancel the call got the people out ..no service needed till am..or better yet they call and all the elevators are not working..unless there is a power problem or fire service issue..you know this is only a ploy to get you there faster..how many times do you fall for this one...definitely not worth risking your life racing to a call..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit