Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,505
Posts36,830
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#8541 - 09/23/13 12:20 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: Len]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
"Why don't the elevators stay running?"
All things made by mankind break, busses, trains, planes, your car...

"Your service technician just left, and now the elevator is broken again"
Do you know exactly what is broken? No? Then let's take a look at it first, maybe it's something completely unrelated. We'll let you know exactly what it is.

"You guys just serviced my elevator last month, and now it's broken"
If I changed a flat tire on your car last month, and this month your engine blows up, that doesn't mean I did something wrong, does it? (The automotive analogy goes a long way to dissuade mypoic, distrustful building managers [I didn't say female!] who know nothing about mechanics and electrical issues from vaguely connecting unrelated events. Everyone knows at least a little smidgeon about cars)

"Why are these elevators so slow?"
All these elevators are actually running at design speed. The problem started when the architect intentionally under-elevated the building, to maximize the leasable floor space, and return on investment for the owner. This duplex should be a tri-plex. This four car group should be a six-car group. Etc.

"I have a maintenance contract, why do we have these problems?"
Some things can be prevented with lubrication, adjustment, checking vital metrics of performance, parts replacement, etc. But spontaneous component failures such as the failure of an intergrated circuit chip aren't within anyones control.

"Why are the elevators always broken?"
How old is your car? What would you expect if your car was 20 years old? (30? 40? etc)

"Why doesn't somebody fix them?"
All it takes is money. (Would they care to contribute?)

"Your tech doesn't seem like he knows what he is doing"
I have reviewed the issues, and the actions taken, and find that he acted properly in every case. It is more a matter of how he presents himself, and relates the issues verbally, rather than the course he took. (Then I go give the mechanic a "tune-up" of my own!)

"Seems like we're always having problems"
If they don't run too bad, you could say they are running at or better than national averages.
If below average, you might point out that this equipment was the low bid winner, and was not even top-of-the-line "back then", and now they are aging.

(OF course, all these comebacks are only to be said if you are DOING YOUR JOB, DOING YOUR BEST. Never use any of these comebacks to cover a lack of performance. They are just offered here for help in dealing with the public, and unreasonably critical people.

"Why are my elevators having so many problems?"
We will continue to do our best under the contract, but in time all things need replacement. No contract can stop the march of time. 2nd law of thermo dynamics, all things that have form, degrade into chaos. I'll have the office send you a modernization proposal.

"These elevators shouldn't break, if the preventive maintenance is being done"
This is an old school relay-logic controller. The relays are obsolete, and there are no direct replacements. Once the silver-cadmium plating is gone from the relay contacts, they go copper-to-copper, and pit quite easily. No amount of Preventive Maintenance can stop this, nor improve it. They are beyond their expected service life. They are soldered in, and subsitution of an equivalent is not covered by the contract, and extremely labor intensive, and expensive. Better to modernize.

"I got stuck in that one, I was so scared!" (also, "almost died, almost fell, fell to the bottom", etc)
Did you live?

"Oh my God, it's the elevator man! Is something really terribly wrong with the elevators?"
When you see a doctor, you don't automatically think someone died, do you? (Smile) Just keeping them running right!

"I'm scared of elevators, so I'm taking the stairs" (Said with as much drama as the speaker can muster)
Did you know there are ten times an many fatalities on stairs, than there are on elevators? Statistically, elevators are safer then stairs, and safer than walking.

"Is it safe to ride? I'm pertified of elevators"
Do you worry when you drive home? There are something close to 37,000 traffic fatalities annually in the USA, compared to just a few on elevators. You should really worry when you drive home. Of all forms of transportation, an elevator is the last one you need to worry about riding on.

"The elevator got stuck, and I'm scared of falling"
Elevators have like "100" brake pedals, or safety redundancies, but only one "go" pedal. If anything is the slightest bit amiss, it is built to STOP, more than it is built to run, to protect human life. Most of the time when an elevator gets stuck, it is only a slight anomally in a safety device, such a speck of dust on a contact. Compare this to your car, which is designed dimetrically opposite. Your car will let you drive forward over 100 mph, even if you have NO BRAKES! But do you worry when you drive your car? The elevator is infinitely safer than your car. If you don't worry about grabbing your keys and driving home, then you REALLY shouldn't worry about riding the elevator.

Standing in the elevator, a passenger comes in and says "Is it safe?"
Lady, if you see me taking the stairs, then it's time to worry!

Someone in the cab sees your uniform, says "Glad you're hear, in case we get stuck"
Uhm-hum, I can shriek like a bitch. (Help you scream, etc)

Looking around the cab, there are a few people, and one of them has food.
"Well, if we get stuck, at least we'll have something to eat!" Nervous awkward laughter...

Woman- "Hold the elevator, I'm coming, I'm coming!"
Oh, I thought you were just breathing heavy!

Pretty, fun-loving woman THAT YOU KNOW approaches, so hold the door for her-
Are you going down? We could go down together! smile

Last edited by Vic; 09/23/13 12:40 AM.
#8542 - 09/23/13 12:49 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: Vic]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
"Can this elevator fall?"

Nothing's impossible, but it has six hoist ropes, and only two are enough to hold this car. The factor of safety is tremendous. Only Hollywood elevators have that typical single, fraying cable.

Once a plane hit the Empire State Building, and a wing cut through all the hoist ropes of one of the elevators, and the governor rope. The elevator fell, but the operator actually lived, albeit injured.

#8694 - 10/13/13 11:28 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: Vic]  
danzeitz Offline
addict
danzeitz  Offline
addict

st.louis mo
I like to tell people when they start with any of the before mentioned comments...These elevators were installed in the 60s or 70s or whatever is appropriate. How many 1960 Peter Built trucks did you see on your way to work today?? How about any cars?? These elevators have well over a million miles on them and run every day 24 seven. Try leaving your keys in your car and let everyone in the neighborhood drive it and see how long it lasts.

#8695 - 10/14/13 11:44 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: danzeitz]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
Good one Dan, I use the 1960s or whatever age City bus analogy.

#8697 - 10/14/13 03:07 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: E311]  
danzeitz Offline
addict
danzeitz  Offline
addict

st.louis mo
Once you compare it with something they understand like the bus you can see the light go on.

#8698 - 10/14/13 03:18 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: danzeitz]  
Robert Krieger Offline
Robert Krieger  Offline

Camarillo, CA
It Still remains a credit in favor of the people who service, repair, modernize and install such devices and keep them running safely. Something to be proud of and yet another reason to hold our heads high.

I would guess once the public accepts the concept of "Statue of Repose", the owners of such equipment will alert to the importance of getting full service and or modernization of legacy equipment.

Respectfully,

Robert L Krieger Jr.

#13832 - 04/05/15 01:10 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: Robert Krieger]  
EleVADER Offline
stranger
EleVADER  Offline
stranger

Anyone that has every worked in the San Fransisco Bay area or downtown Oakland.. Lordie do I feel for you. Especially that Bart system.conveyances were horrible. smell was worse!

#14376 - 06/03/15 11:59 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: Len]  
HereWeGo Offline
stranger
HereWeGo  Offline
stranger

My favorite when when you walk in the door....How Long Is It Going To Take?

#14380 - 06/04/15 06:22 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: HereWeGo]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

Construction guys get it from knowledgable general contractors too. If I had a dime for every time a GC asked me when his door frames were going to be installed...on freaking day one of a multi car building... God bless it, my one true peeve of our trade is time. How much time does it take to do a job right, after it is done right, that's how long it took me!

I always tried to train my apprentices and helped our younger mechanics with the same analogy. If you are known for cutting corners, being a hack, or lazy, I cannot fix your reputation. Time might, but chances are, you earned it, and will live with it. Do the job right, controllers are detailed, car tops are cleaned, etc., I can help you find flaws in procedure to save time, and get it done faster.

#14386 - 06/04/15 07:14 PM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: Silly]  
JustWolf Offline
Liscensed Journeyman
JustWolf  Offline
Liscensed Journeyman

Milwaukee
I agree with Silly. If you can put your name on it, you will be around a long time.

#14409 - 06/09/15 02:52 AM Re: Rants, Rages, and general stress b****ing [Re: JustWolf]  
Magic smoke Offline
Shaking the Bush!!
Magic smoke  Offline
Shaking the Bush!!

On a Boat!
Some yahoo - "Hey mister elevator man. Can I press this button."
My reply in a serious voice - " only if you want to ride the elevator".
It's like a trick answer to them. They just look at you. Lmao.

When every circuit board is made. They put a little magic smoke inside.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit