Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,521
Posts36,911
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#8733 - 10/18/13 03:49 AM Dover Composite  
runningman Offline
stranger
runningman  Offline
stranger

Hey all! I have 2 triplex banks of Dover Composites with electrodyne overlay. When I test Phase 1 fire service I have two out of three cars in each bank that come to main landing but don't open doors. Any ideas where to start looking?

#8861 - 11/03/13 03:24 AM Re: Dover Composite [Re: runningman]  
mjm Offline
stranger
mjm  Offline
stranger

when in this state, check ibm relay "fsl" on each unit. It it "fire service landing" relay and should be in when car is at the egress floor. I believe there is a contact on the floor bar at each selector main floor. Sorry, I have no prints to check'

Last edited by mjm; 11/03/13 03:26 AM.
#8885 - 11/05/13 03:00 PM Re: Dover Composite [Re: mjm]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

MJM,
I would start with my SE circuit.

Make good choices,

JKH
#9579 - 01/19/14 12:21 AM Re: Dover Composite [Re: runningman]  
Rolly Offline
old hand
Rolly  Offline
old hand

All of the replies here are very good. To add to them an older unit may use a contact off the HL (Home Landing) in the SE circuit to open the doors when FSC is out, FS is in, and HL is in. HL I believe is off a floor bar contact on the selector.

#18282 - 10/07/16 04:09 PM Re: Dover Composite [Re: Rolly]  
mjm Offline
stranger
mjm  Offline
stranger

The Dover Generator, or as I like to think of it, “The Teenager” of MG’s Let me try and explain that as I believe it will help the Mechanics that have not the experiences with it as I have had. While many mechanics like myself have come and gone, there are many more who have inherited these units and have to try and keep them “behaving”. Saying that, I would like you to think of the development of the Traction elevator like this. The Grand Daddy Otis got into this business from the traction end. They have a much better and quality MG. Dover, on the other hand had to play catch up as they got into the business on the Hydraulic end and never caught up. The Dover generator is not a bad one, it’s just has some charatoristics that cause it to “misbehave” on occasion. That’s why I call it the Teenager of MG”s. Let me mention some things that contribute to this misbehavior. Firstly; the resistance to ground of the armature is too low. There in no other way to say it. If you meg one that has been in operation, you will probably find it far below one meg. Maybe like one thousand to two thousand ohms to ground. But, strangely, it still works pretty good. Secondly, the brushes that are sent in it are SA-45. It’s a soft brush and produces much dust which causes the resistance of the armature to sink even lower as the dust penetrates the windings of the armature. So, with this problem, one must routinely try to blow the dust out. Very messy stuff. The entire room suffers from black dust and when you get home, your spouse looks at you in fright and asks, where in the hell did you get so black.? But Sadly, if you don’t try and keep the dust from accumulating, you will eventually have more trouble calls for leveling issues. OK, so we put in a harder brush, right? Been there done that, they eat the commentator and now you have copper dust with the black dust. But I have found that there is a brush that will produce much less dust and not eat/sand the commentators. It was produces by a good brush company and costs more than most but it is worth the couple bucks to keep your Dover MG in the pink. It is called the E-41/C brush. The C part is a component that Helwig added just for this generator. http://www.helwigcarbon.com/ Thirdly, the Dover MG can and will be susceptible to environmental effects like the changing of the season, fumes from the surroundings, this sort of thing. The outcome of the behavior of this MG is critical in nature as it produces leveling problems with the elevator. Nothing more critical than that. Law suits galore. Customer loosing confidence in you and your company. Yea, I’d say the E-41/c is worth the money.

Last edited by mjm; 10/07/16 04:13 PM.
#18300 - 10/08/16 02:25 PM Re: Dover Composite [Re: jkh]  
mjm Offline
stranger
mjm  Offline
stranger

thanks but if the door is opening under the other scenarios like normal operation, SE relay should be fine, correct?

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit