Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,529
Posts36,945
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#9628 - 01/25/14 04:01 AM Control system question  
fiona_sg Offline
fiona_sg  Offline

Hi,

I am new to the industry so please excuse me if my question is rather silly. I am an environmental engineer and currently doing an energy audit for an existing building. The building manager mentioned some day-to-day issues faced in the building and one of it is regarding the elevators.

There are 2 elevators on one end of the building, one serves 13 storeys and one serves 12 storeys. This is because there is a pool on the 13th storey on top of one of the elevators so it couldn't extend to that level. The building manager said that because of the different heights of the elevators they cannot be controlled using the same system. But people tend to press the call button on both elevators and take the fastest one to arrive, so energy is wasted on both elevators working when only one is needed.

I was wondering if this is really the case that the elevators cannot share a same control system? Or is there any particular control system that can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your replies smile

#9629 - 01/25/14 04:06 AM Re: Control system question [Re: fiona_sg]  
Postal Offline
journeyman
Postal  Offline
journeyman

Bullshit

They both can be controlled with the same group using swing car function

#9631 - 01/25/14 06:59 AM Re: Control system question [Re: Postal]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
There are and have been for a while now systems that can dispatch group elevators to the "uneven/odd floors" of any building such as you describe. Actually, with the micro processor based systems of the last 30 years, it's been possible. Any of the major companies can engineer software today to meet your buildings needs exactly. There are also secondary or after market manufacturers who can provide a quality product for any building design. Motion Control Engineering (mceinc.com), Computerized Elevator Control Corp. (swiftcec.com) are two companies worth mentioning.
Hope this helps.
*Now be sure to suggest to your "client" to upgrade their system even if the payback is 10 to 12 years in energy savings.
At least they'll have a system that will perform well for the next 30 years or more.

#9638 - 01/25/14 07:55 PM Re: Control system question [Re: elmcannic]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

I don't know what type of controls you have. I have couple different rises of 4 elevators, 2 out of the 4 cars only come up to the 10th floor and the other 2 service 2 floors above that. Not that big of a deal. They all run off the same group dispatcher.

#9640 - 01/26/14 01:03 AM Re: Control system question [Re: fiona_sg]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: fiona_sg
Hi,

I am new to the industry so please excuse me if my question is rather silly. I am an environmental engineer and currently doing an energy audit for an existing building. The building manager mentioned some day-to-day issues faced in the building and one of it is regarding the elevators.

There are 2 elevators on one end of the building, one serves 13 storeys and one serves 12 storeys. This is because there is a pool on the 13th storey on top of one of the elevators so it couldn't extend to that level. The building manager said that because of the different heights of the elevators they cannot be controlled using the same system. But people tend to press the call button on both elevators and take the fastest one to arrive, so energy is wasted on both elevators working when only one is needed.

I was wondering if this is really the case that the elevators cannot share a same control system? Or is there any particular control system that can solve this problem?

With old relay logic or the newer electronic control anything can be achieved. What you describe is virtually the same as a basement level opening that is only served by 1 lift except your situation is at the top of the building. It appears to me as it was simply easier, or maybe they were lazy, to have 2 separate control systems for these 2 lifts. So the answer is of course you can and there is no reason why if your going to upgrade them that this cant happen.

#9641 - 01/26/14 09:33 AM Re: Control system question [Re: uppo72]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
kiwinightstalker  Offline
mushroom

Originally Posted By: uppo72
Originally Posted By: fiona_sg
Hi,

With old relay logic or the newer electronic control anything can be achieved. What you describe is virtually the same as a basement level opening that is only served by 1 lift except your situation is at the top of the building. It appears to me as it was simply easier, or maybe they were lazy, to have 2 separate control systems for these 2 lifts. So the answer is of course you can and there is no reason why if your going to upgrade them that this cant happen.

I think lazy is the word....you could do this almost from the invention of the elevator so me thinks the company involved either is incompetent or just in it for a laugh!!

I used to be indecisive....now i"m not so sure
#10356 - 04/12/14 03:55 AM Re: Control system question [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
swift5000expert Offline
stranger
swift5000expert  Offline
stranger

It will require some engineering but a lot of options exist.
The easyest would be a plc(programmable logic controler). But relay logic or a microprocessor overlay could be used to make the elevators share the traffic load.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit