Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,525
Posts36,929
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10431 - 04/20/14 02:02 PM Introduction.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
SteveO
Unregistered

No. I'm saying goodbye. I've read some many threads where someone is asking a question and the response from so many is arrogance of their supposed superiority. I've been in this industry for 30 years and it seems as though the newer generation of people are conceited and self-righteous. I see it here and I see it in the field. So many have had relatives in the trade that they have heard all of the stories and place themselves in the story that happened before they were born or they were sucking on a pacifier when it actually happened. In a way I feel sorry and worry for this industry that has been so great to and for me.

#10433 - 04/20/14 03:54 PM Re: Introduction..... [Re: ]  
Elevated Offline
Proud IUEC Member
Elevated  Offline
Proud IUEC Member

Florida
SteveO,

I would agree with you that there are a handful of regular contributors to this forum that are smart asses in their responses. Sometimes its funny and sometimes simply arrogant or degrading. I have read several posts that were put up by, what appeared to be, a fledgling route mechanic asking an elementary question. The responses range from helpful to "Do you know how to read a print" or "Do you know how to use a DMM?" If a guy is just coming out of construction to a route, then his experience is limited to the equipment he has installed(maybe even just one OEM).I have been on a route for about 8 years now. I spent my first year realizing how much I didn't know about elevators. I was fortunate to have 2 veteran troubleshooters take me under their wing and patiently teach me. They still broke by balls when I did something stupid, but would also tell me stories where a fuse or an overload kicked their butts early in their careers. We can tell pretty quickly if its an elevator man or an electrician, engineer, building maintenance or harry homeowner asking a question. If its an elevator man then responses should be helpful instead of sarcastic.

In my personal experience elevator men are not normally warm and fuzzy creatures. There is a reason Dr. Phil isn't an elevator man. When I was a 50% probate, my first mechanic didn't call me by my first name for a while. I was simply "50" and at least once a week I was told that I wasn't going to make it and that there were a 100 guys standing in line to take my job. After making 70%, the mechanic and I became fast friends. There is a wide variety of personalities in this business. In my first year in the business, I can remember thinking that half of the guys I worked with thought they were Charles Bronson. In their own minds they were certified ass whippers and lady killers. I was constantly hearing stories where one maverick elevator man or another beat down all the men at the bar and all the women were throwing themselves at their feet. About 15 years ago, there was a group of us taking break and we were listening to a brother telling one of these painful stories and a vetran mechanic(who was 2 years from retirement and a little short on patience) turned to me and said, " Do you realize how fortunate we are to work with the smartest, toughest and most suave men on the planet. Everyone of them is the perfect blend of Albert Einstein, John Wayne and Don "f***ing Juan" He then turned to the storyteller and said, "It must be a lot of pressure to be at the top of the food chain and have to deal with us lowly earthlings" This brought the BS story to a sudden end. I am saying all this to say that maybe I am just desensitized to arrogant and boastful elevator men.

SteveO, I would encourage you not to leave the forum. If you have 30 years in the business, then you have knowledge worth contributing. Don't let a few bad apples spoil it for you.Rather than name several contributors who are knowledgable but won't get off their soapbox long enough to see that they sound like douche bags,I would prefer to use member JKH as an example. Though I don't personally know the man, he is obviously a seasoned veteran and his responses are helpful, witty and respectful. Even when responding to non-elevator people he is firm but polite. I have visited several elevator forums/sites over the last couple of years and this is by far my favorite. So SteveO, if your getting irratated by some know-it-all being a smug prick, theres nothing that says you can't tell him so.

Last edited by Elevated; 04/20/14 03:56 PM.
#10435 - 04/20/14 04:18 PM Re: Introduction..... [Re: Elevated]  
ThyssenKrapp Offline
GDB
ThyssenKrapp  Offline
GDB

Well said..

#10437 - 04/20/14 06:29 PM Re: Introduction..... [Re: ThyssenKrapp]  
traction Offline
traction  Offline

Agreed, well said. I personally post some responses that come across as negative, but I don't want people who are not certified doing work they shouldn't be doing. I'm also aware that much of the information we collectively hold is ours and should not be put in writing for everyone and no one to access.

#10438 - 04/20/14 08:09 PM Re: Introduction..... [Re: traction]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

SteveO,
Like you, I have a few years under my belt (28). I can only encourage you to reconsider. The negatives are few compared to the many posts the members here have contributed. Your posts have been informative and more. The manner in which you convey your wealth of experience has had a positive impact to this forum. Leaving the forum now, only after the short time you have been participating will be missed. I would like to leave you with this to consider!

"Change comes from within"

My suggestion is keep posting. Let your words serve as an example of how you wish to be treated. I can't promise you 100% of the post will be inspiring! But I can promise you the relationships developed here are as rewarding as they have been in all aspects of our lives.

Elevated,
Thank you for your kind words. I read this thread to my wife and her parents. They all were welling up!

Make good choices,

JKH
#10439 - 04/20/14 08:09 PM Re: Introduction..... [Re: jkh]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Ps
HAPPY EASTER!

Make good choices,

JKH
#10447 - 04/21/14 04:49 PM Re: Introduction..... [Re: jkh]  
swift5000expert Offline
stranger
swift5000expert  Offline
stranger

I hope I don't sound arrogant, I have been in the field for over 35 years and have developed a method of troubleshooting that works for me. I try to establish facts with tools such as digital voltmeters. sometimes I use relays in the circuit to see results that a digital meter couldn't show.(busy auto ranging.)
Trouble shooting problems is a process of illimination of possible causes for a symtom.
You get to what it is by default of what it aint.
I have a very good working knowledge of swift5000s.I have been working on them for over 15 years.
I would like to help with troubleshooting,problem solving.

#10451 - 04/22/14 04:40 AM Re: Introduction..... [Re: traction]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: traction
Agreed, well said. I personally post some responses that come across as negative, but I don't want people who are not certified doing work they shouldn't be doing. I'm also aware that much of the information we collectively hold is ours and should not be put in writing for everyone and no one to access.

Some times its scary giving the wrong person enough information to get themselves in trouble.

#13979 - 04/18/15 11:58 AM Re: Introduction..... [Re: sbrmilitia]  
BRG Offline
BRG  Offline

I can only assume this member is no longer here. I can say that I do see what he is referring to as far as the industry and the online forums.

#13995 - 04/23/15 12:08 AM Re: Introduction..... [Re: BRG]  
Magic smoke Offline
Shaking the Bush!!
Magic smoke  Offline
Shaking the Bush!!

On a Boat!
I agree with him. But it's not just our industry, it everywhere.

When every circuit board is made. They put a little magic smoke inside.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit