Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 6 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,498
Posts36,807
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12688 - 11/11/14 04:27 AM EMITTER AND DETECTOR FAULTS  
MAllen74 Offline
Your electricman
MAllen74  Offline
Your electricman

Michigan
THE ELEVATOR AT THE CHURCH WENT OUT OF SERVICE NOT LONG AFTER THE BASEMENT WAS FLOODED DUE TO HEAVY RAINS BACK IN THE SUMMER. THE SAME DAY I RODE THE THE CAR TO THE 1ST FLOOR. A FEW DAYS LATER, I WENT TO TAKE THE CAR BACK TO THE BASEMENT, THERE WEREN'T ANY LIGHTS ON AT THE FLOOR BUTTONS. I TURNED OFF THE MAIN POWER AND TURNED IT BACK ON TO SEE IF CONTROLS WOULD RESET AS THEY HAVE IN THE PAST. THAT DIDN'T WORK. THERE WAS AN AUDIBLE SOUND GOING OFF. I TURNED THE POWER BACK OFF. AFTER A FEW DAYS AN ELEVATOR CO. REP. CAME OUT TO LOOK AT THE ELEVATOR. THE SUMP PUMP FAILED,THE PIT WAS FULL OF WATER, SO NOTHING WAS DONE TO THE ELEVATOR. I PUMPED OUT THE PIT. NOT LONG AFTERWARDS THE ELEVATOR CO. CAME BACK WITH A 5 FIGURE PRICE TO WORK ON THE ELEVATOR. I WAS SMH WHEN I HEARD THAT. I'M SAYING HOW ARE YOU GOING TO COME UP WITH A PRICE TO WORK ON SOMETHING WITHOUT FIRST ASSESSING WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE. IN THE MEAN TIME I WENT BACK TO USE A WET VAC TO REMOVE THE REMAINING WATER OUT OF THE PIT THE PUMP DIDN'T REMOVE. WHEN I OPENED THE DOOR, THE ELEVATOR HAD RETURNED TO THE BASEMENT, ONLY THE CAR IS BELOW THE FLOOR LEVEL, AND THE ELEVATOR DOORS WILL ONLY OPEN PARTIALLY. I GOT ON TOP OF THE CAR WITH THE POWER ON. I LOCATED A LAMBDA II CONTROL BOX. IN THE DIAGNOSTICS PORTION, THERE IS A GREEN POWER LIGHT ON AND TWO RED FAULT LIGHTS FOR DOOR UNITS. I SAID ALL OF THAT TO ASK THIS. WHAT ARE THESE FAULTS, AND WHAT CAN I DO TO CLEAR THEM.

MAllen74
#12690 - 11/11/14 08:56 AM Re: EMITTER AND DETECTOR FAULTS [Re: MAllen74]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
OK, here's how I read your story post flood; "AFTER A FEW DAYS AN ELEVATOR CO. REP. CAME OUT TO LOOK AT THE ELEVATOR". Later, "I GOT ON TOP OF THE CAR WITH THE POWER ON". Hmmm. You're the owner or the building owners representative and number 1; You got on top of the elevator with the power on (or off it doesn't matter) and it sounds as if YOU'RE NOT AN LICENSED ELEVATOR MECHANIC, and 2; your asking us to diagnose your Lamda Edge unit trouble when the car itself doesn't run. QUIT MONKEYING AROUND WITH THE UNIT!!! These glowing LEDs may be the least of your worries. So, "IN THE MEAN TIME", if you're unhappy with the 5 figure time and material proposal, seek another from a qualified licensed elevator company...BUT don't put yourself in harms way by accessing the car top or pit area attempting to self diagnose the elevators trouble when you really have no idea what you're doing. We've had too many experienced elevator mechanics loose their lives due to unforeseen circumstances and (I hate to say this) some due to carelessness, i.e. bad decisions. Don't add your name to the list or put the public at risk. Water damage to controls can cause a heck of a lot of trouble and expense (I'm not saying 5 figures sounds reasonable or not, that's not my point here). Get a few bids from reputable companies, then just choke and pay it to get it done right.

#12697 - 11/11/14 02:08 PM Re: EMITTER AND DETECTOR FAULTS [Re: elmcannic]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
If you have experienced water damage, all of the equipment that was wet with water will need to be addressed. If any of the electrical was wet-travelers, pit stop switch, limit switches or any wiring, all of these will need to be replaced.

#12698 - 11/11/14 02:27 PM Re: EMITTER AND DETECTOR FAULTS [Re: elmcannic]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

M Allen,
I see you are in Michigan, there maybe someone here that is local to the church who may be able to help. What county is the church in?
Also,
Is the company that came in, the same company that performs the routine maintenance on this elevator?
You may want to call the company that came in and ask if they lowered the car.
Ask why they lowered the car.
Ask what they did when they were there.
Ask what repairs need to be done.
Ask how they came to a five figure price.

Then call other companies and speak with them. Let them know what is going on? Ask if they are willing to come out and give you an estimate.

Now I'm sure you are able and capable to do many things. But we spend years working while going to school to prepare to for our exam to become a licensed elevator mechanic. Then we spend the rest of our careers continuously learning more and more.
So now you may understand why I am asking you to please stop putting yourself and the others of your church at risk! Safety is our first concern.

Make good choices,

JKH
#12700 - 11/11/14 04:08 PM Re: EMITTER AND DETECTOR FAULTS [Re: jkh]  
rac66 Offline
journeyman
rac66  Offline
journeyman

Florida, USA
Do not try to troubleshoot/repair this elevator on your own. Call in one or two other companies if you feel the first company is not treating you right.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit