Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Fehlerteufel), 15 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,495
Posts36,789
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#13224 - 01/14/15 04:53 AM Re: Hydro Problems [Re: WorkingSuper]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: WorkingSuper
Hey guys. Sorry for being MIA. The elevator was down again yesterday and it was an ordeal to get it running again. The tech said that the heater in the oil was turned off which probably caused the elevator to go down.

We did do the following:

A oil heater was installed?
The rails were polished?
Contactors or relays were replaced?
The oil over tempature sensor was replaced?
The piston packing was replaced?
And the oil flow was adjusted?

We also replaced an entire part of the controller (I don't know what). And, there were other repairs completed in the past year.

Upon recommendation of the technician, we are going to do the following:

1. replace the entire valve
2. replace the oil (tech said the color is off)
3. replace the leveling board
4. replace the old contactor

It's a lot of money to us but we really need to make sure that the elevator doesn't break down again. It's really killing us. If you guys think something is unnecessary, please let me know.

JKH, I forgot to mention your recommendations to the tech yesterday. It was a little hectic. However, I printed out your instructions and will give it to the tech the next time he comes out.

Do you guys think that I should get the manufacturer, the installer, or an engineer to come in and maybe they can see if there are any glaring problems?

Thanks again, you guys.

Just a few points. I can see why they are recommending these replacements. Levelling issues(levelling board/valve), bad oil(viscosity issues between cold and hot temps), contactor(poor even 3 phase supply to motor which may have caused overheating of pump motor). However you generally don't just do a scatter gun approach.
-Normally you don't need to replace the valve just clean the filter in front of it(mesh) and thru it to allow oil to pass thru. This includes the valve block itself.
-A poor contactor can be split and cleaned, but generally I agree new is better.
-Oil should be part of a simple check and lube service contract.
-Levelling board may be needed if lift not reaching floor level.

All of these things should be used as test functions and if not the fault the existing should be re installed and this is a way to mitigate cost. You would hope there is a little more critical fault finding to ascertain whether these are really needed.

Having soft starters really protect the pump motor from the inrush current that does the damage requiring re wiring eventually. Also union v non-union isn't the issue. Its training v training.

Ps. Lift will always break down, so don't think you will ever get a lift that never breaks down. All we try to do is minimise the situation.

Last edited by uppo72; 01/14/15 04:55 AM.
#13225 - 01/14/15 05:05 PM Re: Hydro Problems [Re: uppo72]  
WorkingSuper Offline
stranger
WorkingSuper  Offline
stranger

Let me first say a genuine thank you for you guys. You guys really have been great.

Yesterday, we've set up a time with the manufacturer to come already so we're going to wait to see what they advise before proceeding on any repairs.

Motion Control seems responsive as we are communicating with them on all the problems.

The installer for the elevator was Florlift Elevator. I don't know too much about them but from what the techs say, they apparently didn't do a good job and I'm trying to figure out how to fix everything.

I'm going to take your suggestions and see how to incorporate them. I'll see what the elevator company say about the softstart siemens nordic. and I'll see if the company can have a technician camp out at the building but not sure if they would be willing to dedicate one person to do this...

I was told that hydros break down about 2-3 times a year plus times down for maintenance issues. That sound about right?

#13226 - 01/14/15 05:24 PM Re: Hydro Problems [Re: WorkingSuper]  
koss Offline
journeyman
koss  Offline
journeyman

UK AND LOOKING FOR A JOB!
2/3 times a year is good,,can think of a few over here I did,,breakdowns regularly,,vandalism etc,,,,overuse,,but hopefully ,you are getting there!

#13228 - 01/14/15 11:36 PM Re: Hydro Problems [Re: koss]  
rac66 Offline
journeyman
rac66  Offline
journeyman

Florida, USA
WorkingSuper, if your current service company cannot dedicate a technician to your property to witness the failure after you've had all of these issues, you should look for a company who can.

#13230 - 01/15/15 12:21 AM Re: Hydro Problems [Re: rac66]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
Agree there rac66, someone needs to set up a tent and watch for awhile. If the problem occurs a couple times a day, I would be camping out.

#13242 - 01/16/15 05:06 AM Re: Hydro Problems [Re: E311]  
ranger33 Offline
stranger
ranger33  Offline
stranger

Wow! Sure sounds like someone is guessing at the problem and making the customer pay for it all. You should request a trouble shooter from your elevator company to work on it, they can generally fix problems that the average mechanic/technician cannot.

This is probably going to turn out to be something dumb that was overlooked like clipping a door lock or the safeties were never reset properly.

Roped hydros are a pain, even worse when they are poorly installed!

#22487 - 12/15/17 11:36 PM Re: Hydro Problems [Re: WorkingSuper]  
WorkingSuper Offline
stranger
WorkingSuper  Offline
stranger

Hey, everyone. This includes ranger, E311, rac66, koss, uppo, jkh, iggy...I hope I didn't miss anyone. There were so many of you guys that helped me out the last time I was here. This was a while ago but I was always meaning to come back and thank you guys. I was in a totally bad spot and thought I was going to go crazy, literally.... But you guys showed me a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I was always meaning to come back and thank you guys. But you know how it is, you come home tired and say you'll do it tomorrow and soon you forget about it. But I never did forget about it and today when I finally got out early today, I told myself to come back here and give a genuine thank you.

To tell you what happened, the manufacturer's rep said that the entire install was a mess. He said that the contractor really screwed up things badly and had a huge list. His strong suggestion was to hire an elevator consulting company to come in and do a full evaluation and follow it to the letter. He recommended 2 companies, one which was Manhattan Elevator Consulting in NYC. He said have them really go over the entire installation inch by inch and list in order which repairs would make the biggest difference. They would also recommend an elevator maintenance company and negotiate a fair contract. We called them but they were charging an amount that we couldn't afford in our budget. (It was a lot!) So, I ended up going from elevator company to elevator company, trying my best to get things to work. It still doesn't work all that well but it's MUCH better.

The elevator shaft and machine room isn't air conditioned so during the summers, the oil overheats and in the winter, the oil gets too thick. We got a heater and cooler that helps with that issue. The elevator's cable still occasionally falls out and the elevator goes down. But not as much anymore. Used to happen like once a week but now it's like 2-3 times a year. I don't know why it's better but I'm guessing it might have something to do with the oil temp.

There are so many things to fix but we can only replace a little by little. And the elevator company that we use, really rips us off like crazy (it's so obvious) but we can't do anything because they are the only nearby elevator company. Even then, they take days to respond sometimes. I've learned to live with the unfairness of it all. You have to or you'll just go crazy with all the anger bottled up inside you. I'm sure many of you guys know what I mean.

Anyway, just wanted to leave a genuine thanks. Hope I could return the favor some day. Peace.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit