Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Abdo Egypt), 6 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,495
Posts36,790
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15121 - 09/25/15 09:28 AM Elevator novice recently aquired small lift  
KarenRei Offline
stranger
KarenRei  Offline
stranger

Hi everyone - I'm new here and have no experience with elevators. I recently acquired a small lift for next to nothing from a guy who used to work tearing down buildings and spent the past couple decades storing everything that was in good working use when the buildings were torn down; I would like to use it in my house which I'm getting ready to build. Unfortunately, I don't know the brand (stupid me forgot to check for a nameplate on the motor and now it's hidden behind other building supplies, though I can dig it out... it might also be written on the electrical box). It's a very simplistic one-man chair lift - a little bucket seat that goes five meters straight up on two rails, hauled up by a standard counterweighted electric motor with a steel cable. Here are some pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/21528337401/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/21519645215/in/dateposted/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/21331600760/in/dateposted/

Before I just set it up and have an electrician connect it, I want to make sure I'm being *safe* about it - that is, whether there's any maintenance that should be done, any inspections, whether the cable is still good, that sort of stuff. For example, I examined the cable closely. From a distance it looks 100% perfect. But up close I could see the occasional strand broken:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/20896844314/in/dateposted/

I never found anywhere on the cable where two strands were broken at the same place, although there were some spots where strands were broken maybe 4 centimeters apart from each other. Also, near the end of the cable (and only there, that i saw), if I reverse-twisted it to reveal the inside, it looked like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/21519591185/in/dateposted/

I don't know if that's rust (although I think the cable is stainless, so rust would be weird), or some sort of fiber that's entrained in the middle, or what. It looked more like an old organic strand than rust, though I don't know why it would be there. Also, here's the eye at the end:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54125007@N08/20896877674/in/dateposted/

So basically, I don't know if these sort of things are normal, acceptable wear and tear, or if I need to replace the cable. And I don't know what other sort of maintenance if any I should look into for the rest of the system.

I can get more info and better pictures if needed.

#15122 - 09/25/15 12:48 PM Re: Elevator novice recently aquired small lift [Re: KarenRei]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Sorry, I'm not willing to discuss this subject with a home owner.
You may think this is a "simple" piece of equipment. But let me assure you that you are not able to recognize all the hazards involved.

What I am willing to advise you on is this!
You said you paid very little for this lift. Do yourself a favor, look at new chair lifts and what they have to offer. Ask a chair company what the safety improvements they have made in the industry since your was manufactured. Then ask how much one would cost to have it installed in your home.

This may not be what you wanted to hear. But it is intended to be in your best interest.

Make good choices,

JKH
#15124 - 09/25/15 01:16 PM Re: Elevator novice recently aquired small lift [Re: KarenRei]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
Hi Karen,
Quite the project you're embarking on. Certainly information regarding your unit is important. The links posted didn't "link" really at least for me. However, to address a couple things based on your descriptions seems easy enough.
1) That rusty looking material in the core of the steel cable more than likely is the hemp core, that typically provides lubrication to the surrounding strands of the wire rope, so yes it'd look like a fibrous string thing.
2) The broken wires on the steel cable itself. Certainly there are specs for maintenance and life expectancy values, depending on their ratings by the manufacturer. I'd replace them like for like, based on the breaks you've already seen.
3) Maintenance. Anything that slides, glides, spins or any other moving rotating moving parts will need attention at some point in its life. Electrical contactors/relays included. Obviously sealed bearings are what they are, but look for any type of zerk fitting for grease, gliding chair rails need lubrication (grease possibly) or you may have a trolley type wheel, etc.
The steel suspension cable termination points are very important, but how to make a suggestion here I won't, but will tell you to seek information via the Internet about your brand and model for technical help, but it may be self evident to an elevator trained person, but search it out thoroughly as this is of major import...the suspension means of the chair and counterweight if present.
Continue your search for help, and more than likely others here on the forum will want to help as there an awful lot of smarter fellas than myself here.
Good luck on your project, and yes, "Safe" on your project is of paramount concerns.

#15127 - 09/26/15 12:19 AM Re: Elevator novice recently aquired small lift [Re: elmcannic]  
rac66 Offline
journeyman
rac66  Offline
journeyman

Florida, USA
I have to agree with JKH.

The requirement for an inspection has to do with your local Authority Having Jurisdiction. Some places have absolutely no oversight on residential lifts, others send an inspector directly employed by the local government into your home to certify the unit. Some municipalities will not issue a Certificate of Occupancy for a dwelling without a certified inspection.

That being said, spend a few thousand dollars and get something safer for you and everyone else that will come in contact with the lift. A "simplistic one man lift" can kill somebody.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit