Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Jluff), 12 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,495
Posts36,786
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15845 - 01/14/16 01:57 AM Elevator noise - clanking sound?  
apartmentdweller Offline
stranger
apartmentdweller  Offline
stranger

Hi there. This is a barely technical question from someone who knows next to nothing about the craft of elevators. I recently moved into a new building and live in an apartment adjacent to the elevator shaft (2 elevators) and about 3 floors down from the elevator engine motor room. Unfortunately I am hearing a noise I haven't heard before having lived in over 5 apartment buildings in my life - each time the elevator operates, there are a series of noises, the most distinctive of which is a clank (as if a metal catch were being release, or alternatively, as if someone were hitting something with a hammer). This is followed by what I presume is the running of the motor, which is annoying but more tolerable.

I mentioned this briefly to the building manager and he said "it's part of living in a communal space" which wasn't very satisfying.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the noise of the youtube link below? It occurs at the 6 second mark. I recorded it with a smartphone so it's not terribly loud, apologies for that. I hear this basically every minute in the evening rush hour, and it is unfortunately driving me crazy. The building is a 34 story high-rise in Manhattan's east side. Happy to provide more information. I just want to see whether the manager is right and it's a completely normal noise to which I have to either get accustomed or else just bear with it for a year and then move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcxLE0PUi4&feature=youtu.be

#15847 - 01/14/16 02:36 AM Re: Elevator noise - clanking sound? [Re: apartmentdweller]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
Hi Dweller,

Not too great on the audio, but my guess would be the sounds of two elevator machine brakes lifting (snap, thunk, clank, smack) as the elevator cars start and stop. Mornings and evening times being the busiest. Three floors down from the equipment room isn't terribly far, and quite possibly mechanical adjustments to the break assembly itself may quiet it down some...maybe.
I would suspect if you keep in your managers ear about it, maybe progress will be made...one way or another. Lucky you gets to hear every single tenant leave or arrive. Maybe be the squeaky wheel that gets to relocate down to the 15th floor on a priority basis.

#15848 - 01/14/16 02:38 AM Re: Elevator noise - clanking sound? [Re: apartmentdweller]  
ridevertical Offline
stranger
ridevertical  Offline
stranger

That is the sound of the elevator brake releasing to allow the elevator to make a run. If you are hearing it several floors below the machine room loud enough to record it with your phone, it's time for a brake adjustment.

#15851 - 01/14/16 02:57 AM Re: Elevator noise - clanking sound? [Re: ridevertical]  
Magic smoke Offline
Shaking the Bush!!
Magic smoke  Offline
Shaking the Bush!!

On a Boat!
Sounds like the brake lifting and dropping.

When every circuit board is made. They put a little magic smoke inside.
#15858 - 01/14/16 03:32 PM Re: Elevator noise - clanking sound? [Re: Magic smoke]  
ABE Offline
Mechanic
ABE  Offline
Mechanic

Is it a newer building? If it was installed within the last 10 years it could be a MRL(machine room less) elevator. With an MRL everything is installed within the hoist way including the machine and brake. On older installations the machine and brake would be installed in a separate room typically above the top floor of the building where there would be a thick concrete slab between the machine room and hoist way. With this set up often you wouldn't here the brake picking because it would be separated by the floor slab and in a different room. On the MRLs you can here everything within the hoist way including the break picking just before the elevator takes off.

I have been asked the same question from some of my customers when they compare the sounds coming from a new MRL to an older installation with a overhead machine room.

The reason they typically install MRLs now days instead of having the equipment in a separate room basically just boils down to less cost when they don't have to construct a separate room some where else in the building. And trust me most of us in the industry don't care for MRLs either when it comes to the maintenance and repair aspect of it.

I should clarify just because you have a machine room or equipment room on a newer installation it could very well just house the elevator controls while the machine and brake reside in the top of the hoistway.

Last edited by ABE; 01/14/16 03:49 PM.
#15860 - 01/14/16 05:50 PM Re: Elevator noise - clanking sound? [Re: ABE]  
apartmentdweller Offline
stranger
apartmentdweller  Offline
stranger

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the quick and helpful responses.

elmcannic: I think next step is to poll some folks to see if they hear any noises. Problem is I need to bump into my neighbors and I'm rarely home to be able to do that. Maybe I'll slip a note under their doors, hopefully that isn't creepy. It's a condo unit so they won't be able to relocate me unfortunately.

ABE: Building was constructed in 1979. This is the one in case it matters:
http://streeteasy.com/building/212-east-47-street-new_york

At this point, I'm putting the probability of my successfully convincing them to do something and that actually fixing the problem at 20%. And the odds of my growing used to the sound at 30%. So 50% chance this won't matter in a month!

Thanks again all.

#15929 - 01/22/16 04:10 PM Re: Elevator noise - clanking sound? [Re: apartmentdweller]  
Smitty Offline
bangyourheadhere
Smitty  Offline
bangyourheadhere

Annapolis Md.
Got to love MRL brakes

#15931 - 01/22/16 08:03 PM Re: Elevator noise - clanking sound? [Re: Smitty]  
koneisland Offline
journeyman
koneisland  Offline
journeyman

Unlikely to be a MRL if it is 34 storey high rise.
Probably just brakes needing proper adjustment

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit