Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,521
Posts36,915
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#16011 - 01/31/16 06:58 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: DripCan]  
Magic smoke Offline
Shaking the Bush!!
Magic smoke  Offline
Shaking the Bush!!

On a Boat!
From the pictures of the tailend sheave (Orange wheel) and the governor sheave (yellow wheel) the governor cable definitely has slack in it. This slack will cause the governor not to trip at the proper settings. The tailend sheave doesn't look to be bottomed out thought. The bolt in the center of the Orange sheave should move up and down freely in the slotted hole. From the picture, it looks to have more movement in the down direction. Is the bolt in a bind or stuck from the paint? If the slotted hole is deceiving and the tailend sheave (Orange wheel) is bottomed out then shortening it is the only option.

Last edited by Magic smoke; 01/31/16 06:59 AM.

When every circuit board is made. They put a little magic smoke inside.
#16012 - 01/31/16 02:08 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: jkh]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

Thank you. I did try to determine the method of overspeeding, at least with the state inspector, and he didn't recall specifically what they did/do for our elevator. I'm not sure that my current company will tell me. From the further posts, I'm going to check the free-ness and room left in the bottom orange pulley.

Regards, Dean

Originally Posted By: jkh
Dean,
The governor is as I suspected. The governor model on your unit is not equipped with a secondary sheave. The secondary sheave allows you to overspeed the governor.

In your first post, you said your current service provider was try to overspeed the elevator. My question is how did they do this on the prior tests?

#16022 - 02/01/16 11:11 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

Below are some pictures of the bottom wheel/tailend sheave. While there was some paint slopped on there , I feel pretty confident that the bolt through that bottom pulley was always tight and not allowing free movement in the slot. Supporting that proposition, when my company was spending 30+ minutes/most of the annual inspection time trying to make the overspeed safety activate (again, I don't know the method, I was in the adjacent office, not by the elevator, hovering over them), they didn't mess with the bolt on that tailend sheave. I was pretty sure of that from listening, plus the paint on that bolt head was undisturbed, unlike when I loosen it up to test it out last night.

When I got the bolt loose enough, the pulley was relatively free in the slot. Once it was though, there is no natural weight pulling it down.. it just sort of hangs there and while it seemed pretty free, making it go down and very tight was tricky to figure out how to do-- I may go back, leave the bolt just barely loose and tap the bolt head and double-nut end ends down little by little with a block of wood.

Important:
Once again, my elevator company has claimed that the cable shortening proposal has nothing to do with the overspeed safety activating. They claim that they fixed that fault the day of the inspection and that separately, this cable issue was observed. My best guess, actually, is they didn't want to loosen and move the pulley down (maybe a little too much work day of inspection.), then were dissastified with that 1hr service call and would rather charge $2000 to shorten the cable... as how can the cable tension not be related to the overspeed functioning properly. Also, by the way, remember this unit is extemely low usage... so how much can this cable stretch with little tension or weight on it... and I feel confident that re-tightening by relocation of the pulley within those few inches to the floor that are there will keep this thing tight for a long time.. .then maybe a cable tightening is in order after one more adjustment down...and then I can find out if it really is a $2k job. Again, there is no weight on that bottom pulley, so I don't see why that bolt would be normally loose in the slot.

Once again, thanks to you all, I appreciate it very much.

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave1.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave2.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave3.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave4.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave5.jpg.html

#16026 - 02/01/16 03:42 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
DripCan Offline
DripCan  Offline

Deanm11. One last thing that weight is hooked to sheave an that paint between support is not letting normal tension to happen you have less than 1/4" before your switch trips have company shorten rope an clean an free everything up before you become a casualty or amputee .Leave it to skilled professionals.Unless you work for free your time was worth the 2000 you could of already spent.

#16028 - 02/01/16 11:30 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: deanm11

Below are some pictures of the bottom wheel/tailend sheave. While there was some paint slopped on there , I feel pretty confident that the bolt through that bottom pulley was always tight and not allowing free movement in the slot. Supporting that proposition, when my company was spending 30+ minutes/most of the annual inspection time trying to make the overspeed safety activate (again, I don't know the method, I was in the adjacent office, not by the elevator, hovering over them), they didn't mess with the bolt on that tailend sheave. I was pretty sure of that from listening, plus the paint on that bolt head was undisturbed, unlike when I loosen it up to test it out last night.

When I got the bolt loose enough, the pulley was relatively free in the slot. Once it was though, there is no natural weight pulling it down.. it just sort of hangs there and while it seemed pretty free, making it go down and very tight was tricky to figure out how to do-- I may go back, leave the bolt just barely loose and tap the bolt head and double-nut end ends down little by little with a block of wood.

Important:
Once again, my elevator company has claimed that the cable shortening proposal has nothing to do with the overspeed safety activating. They claim that they fixed that fault the day of the inspection and that separately, this cable issue was observed. My best guess, actually, is they didn't want to loosen and move the pulley down (maybe a little too much work day of inspection.), then were dissastified with that 1hr service call and would rather charge $2000 to shorten the cable... as how can the cable tension not be related to the overspeed functioning properly. Also, by the way, remember this unit is extemely low usage... so how much can this cable stretch with little tension or weight on it... and I feel confident that re-tightening by relocation of the pulley within those few inches to the floor that are there will keep this thing tight for a long time.. .then maybe a cable tightening is in order after one more adjustment down...and then I can find out if it really is a $2k job. Again, there is no weight on that bottom pulley, so I don't see why that bolt would be normally loose in the slot.

Once again, thanks to you all, I appreciate it very much.

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave1.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave2.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave3.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave4.jpg.html

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/deanm11/media/Sheave5.jpg.html

Just a few points here. Please please don't do anything that would risk any injury or risk the normal operation of the lift. You don't want to do something which gets someone hurt, and have that on your conscience.

-The bottom sheave is definitely supposed to float up and down and not be stationary, as why would the need for a electrical limit or switch at the top? The weight is the black thing above the what you call a pulley. We have in the past needed to add weight to get the right rope stretch, as you don't want the rope to pull thru and not engage with a loose rope. So make sure that the sheave is free and able to move up and down regardless of paint indication. Also they are right, the rope length is not related to the over speed testing, unless this cable just pulled thru as I said above. If it wasn't that then is a separate issue. You may only have about an inch left before that limit actuates which then means the rope needs shortening. So sometimes it is a good idea to do the works, before a fault happens to be above the curve. This is why we call it preventative maintenance.
- have they actually signed off for the annual overspeed testing? If not what is the reason why it isn't working they gave you?

Last edited by uppo72; 02/01/16 11:31 PM.
#16030 - 02/02/16 03:27 AM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: uppo72]  
deanm11 Offline
stranger
deanm11  Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: uppo72

- have they actually signed off for the annual overspeed testing? If not what is the reason why it isn't working they gave you?

Thank you very much. The state says it failed. Just like everybody, including the maintenance co., the day of the inspection. Months later, the maintenance co. insists that was fixed the day of the inspection. I call the state inspector and he says I wouldn't have written it up if it was fixed. There's the problem. I'm going to get another company in here.

Dean

Last edited by deanm11; 02/02/16 03:28 AM.
#16037 - 02/02/16 09:51 PM Re: Wheel-o-vator Roped Hydraulic governor operation [Re: deanm11]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

It seems to me that if the company says it has fixed any issue, then they should provide a written report to that effect and that any issue was repaired and subsequently tested ok. Something here is not quite right. However you may have to be the pragmatist here and just get another company in to retest it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit