Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,528
Posts36,942
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16563 - 03/28/16 08:31 AM Help for a thesis  
afalko12 Offline
stranger
afalko12  Offline
stranger

Hello everybody, I’m not sure that this is the right page to ask you some questions but I don’t know where to go. I’m a student of a University in Switzerland and I’m writing my thesis about the elevator industry and the comparison between corporate strategies of Schindler and Otis. I have some problems and maybe someone of you can help me. I don’t know how functions the marketing of an elevator society, it doesn’t do advertisements on television or on the newspaper, so how can a firm publicizes the elevators? People buy Otis’s elevators or Schindler’s elevators only for the brand? What motivates people to buy an elevator rather than another one? Another question that I have is about the provision of Otis, I know that Schindler uses SupplyOn with suppliers and many subsidiaries in the whole Europe buy from suppliers in a large amount reducing costs, and what about Otis? I can’t find any information about provisions. The last question is: why otis is the number 1 for elevator manufacturer and schindler occupies the second position? what is the main difference?
I would be very grateful if you could attend to this matter in order to help me for my thesis.

Thank you!

Last edited by afalko12; 03/28/16 08:38 AM.
#16958 - 05/04/16 12:32 PM Re: Help for a thesis [Re: afalko12]  
elevatorpat Offline
elevatorpat  Offline

Florida
my opinion only: you have 4 elevator companies. Really there are several when you add in fujitech, mitsubishi, etc...but there are 4 real big ones: Otis, Kone, Schindler, TK.

Think about this: Nike has to brand itself a popularize itself because the shoe market is extremely competitve, i can name 15 brands off the top of my head that compete with NIKE. Shoes are a commodity- you can buy a pair shoes that will protect your feet for 10 dollars or you can buy NIKE shoes for 80 dollars as a fashion statement or to look cool, NIKE has to brand itself because it is a commodity.

Elevators are not a commodity, they are a necessity. If people build buildings they must have elevators. Elevator companies market to Architects. Architects design the building. If elevator company A can get its product specificed in the building then chances are good that it will be able to install its product in the building.

Since each company basically has a 25% chance of getting the elevator installation, there is no need to mass market the product. They do outside sales to convince as many architects and building owners that their elevator is the best; the rest is a numbers and timing game.

Again- just my opinion

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit