Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,519
Posts36,896
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18145 - 09/26/16 12:25 PM Elevator Code Requirements for controls  
jbspryor Offline
stranger
jbspryor  Offline
stranger

#18219 - 10/02/16 06:12 AM Re: Elevator Code Requirements for controls [Re: jbspryor]  
fikir123 Offline
stranger
fikir123  Offline
stranger

Dear all;
we have 2 sigma elevators, one is not working for so long,we are trying to solve the problem, it gives us so many error codes like ( E171-90 000 00s,E053-91, E032-91), and we don't have the manual, can anyone help me with the manual please?
best regards
Fikadu
+251-911-175303

#18392 - 10/19/16 12:07 PM Re: Elevator Code Requirements for controls [Re: jbspryor]  
jbspryor Offline
stranger
jbspryor  Offline
stranger

Hello all I have some general elevator code requirement questions. I will start with describing what we have. We have an industrial man elevator here at our plant. This elevator has 4 landings. Each landing has one call button, and in the car there is buttons 1 through 4. On top of the car there is a limit switch that is activated at each of the landing locations. At each landing location there is a door lock. If the car is at that landing location the car depresses a lever that unlocks the landing door (mechanically). The car has a bi-folding door on the car itself also. All doors have to be closed for the elevator to move. The landing doors remain locked if the car is not at that landing. The bi-folding door on the car is not locked, however if a person was to open it as the car is moving the car will stop. At some time someone has rewired the elevator controls with a small PLC. The hoist motor is controlled by a forward and reversing motor starter. And the hoist break is controlled by a contactor. I know in the industrial world SAFTY devices are not allowed to be wired and controlled by a PLC and have to be hardwired. (i.e. Cable pull switch on a conveyor belt has to be wired in series with the motor starter coil, And NOT controlled with a PC input.) It can be monitored with the PLC using another contact but the control HAS to be hard wired. So now to my questions. What switches on this elevator are allowed to be wired into the PLC and what switches HAVE to be wired directly to the Motor Starter. Here is what I know can be controlled by the PLC All landing call buttons, the 4 floor buttons in the elevator, the floor position limit switch on top of the car. What I don’t know is can the door lock switches, and the car door switch be also controlled by the PLC or do these have to be wired directly to the motor starter, all in a series circuit? What about the governor over speed switch? I’m not looking the rewire this system I just want to make sure it is safe and legal for personal use. My gut tells me this elevator has been rewired and some of the SAFTY systems are being controlled by the PLC and are not hard wired into the motor controls circuit. Can someone point me into the right direction for some documentation one what switches are allow to be PLC controlled and what have to be wired to the starter circuit. I don’t have a lot of faith in what the elevator contractor we are currently using (a large nationwide company) is telling me. There for if someone could provide me with where I can find the electrical codes. That would be great. Or at least just say what can and cannot be wired to the PLC.

Last edited by jbspryor; 10/19/16 12:14 PM. Reason: Dont see it showing up
#18436 - 10/21/16 11:44 PM Re: Elevator Code Requirements for controls [Re: jbspryor]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

J,
It would be helpful if you would tell us the manufacturer and model of this lift and new controller.

First thing I suggest you find out is who governs the elevators in you state. Your inspector will know. Then call them and ask if a permit application was filed for this work.
Once you have established with the state everything is in order, ask the inspector assigned.

Make good choices,

JKH
#18450 - 10/24/16 02:28 PM Re: Elevator Code Requirements for controls [Re: jkh]  
jbspryor Offline
stranger
jbspryor  Offline
stranger

jkh,

To answer your question this is a International 100ST personal Elevator, and has a D100A Cutler Hammer PLC for the Controler.

As far as who governs the elevators in our state (Oklahoma) I have no clue. I have been here for 6 years and have never seen, and asked one of our plant Electricians with 47 years and he has never seen nor heard of anyone inspecting this elevator other then the contractor company doing monthly PM's.

My main question is CAN the door lock switches be wired into the PLC as an input stating that the door is open and the PLC prevent the elevator from moving. Or do they HAVE to be wired in series with the Motor stater contactor.

What is the standerd that you see? Does the controller use the door lock switches or are they mostley wired into a series circuit from door to door and then provide the Neutral to the motor staters coil. If in the series Circuit, you wouldnt be able to tell what door is not closed.

Thanks,
James

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit