Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,514
Posts36,876
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#18575 - 11/07/16 09:24 PM canadian mechanics exam  
pieman Offline
pieman  Offline

Hi guys , let me apologize straight off as this isn't a technical question but thought the best chance of getting answers were on here . I am currently working for the big O's local partner in the Caribbean for the last 9 years and previous to that I was with Otis and Thyssen for around twenty years in the U.K Due to immigration policy I have to leave the Caribbean island we are on currently ( work permit term limits ) and am looking into Canada as an option . I know that I have to prove to the regulatory board in specific provinces ( e.g in Ontario the college of trades ) to prove that I have equivalent experience and qualifications to bypass doing an apprenticeship and go straight to doing what they call the certificate of qualification exam which I need to pass to even be considered for express entry immigration to Canada. My question is ,bases on the fact that for the last 9 years I have been working under the ASME A17 codes ( including annual , 5 year and handover inspections etc.. ) how much does this differ from the Canadian code ? I have found for example a study book to assist guys taking the mechanics exam in the U.S but before spending 50 bucks on it can anyone tell me if the information in it would apply to Canadian code or at there lots of differences ? Better still if anyone knows a source for study material for the Canadian mechanics exam ?
Again, sorry its not a tech question but I'm hoping someone can help me out .
Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by pieman; 11/07/16 09:26 PM.
#18577 - 11/07/16 10:41 PM Re: canadian mechanics exam [Re: pieman]  
pieman Offline
pieman  Offline

Am I right in saying the A17.1 and can b44 are bilateral codes ? I ask because for example on Otis 211 controllers it gives you the option of setting up the controller for different codes ( found this an issue when somebody had a service tool and not knowing what they were doing switched to canb44 code which caused the doors to say back under TOCI control....pain in the ass as it was a through car freight and until I figured out the issue I had to zip tie one of the door ops closed to do maintenance ) this makes me think there are fundamental differences in the code

#18585 - 11/08/16 09:19 PM Re: canadian mechanics exam [Re: pieman]  
CBass Offline
CBass  Offline

Canada
Hi pieman:

Sorry that you have to leave a warm island to come to Canada. I hope this post provides some clarifications. Elevator regulations in Canada are handled by province, so things will vary depending on where you want to go. In the province of Ontario (the most regulated) the Authority Having Jurisdiction is called TSSA (Technical Standards and Safety Authority), they license elevating devices, elevator contractors and elevator mechanics. The ASME A17.1 and the CSA B44 are the same code for the past few years, but there is a catch. Whenever a new code is published and TSSA decides to use it they will publish a CAD (Code Adoption Document) outlining all the changes and omissions they have made to the code for the province of Ontario. They will also publish Director's Orders at times stating specific requirements applicable to the elevators in Ontario. So if you have good knowledge of the A17.1 you should be ok to request an exam challenge from TSSA, but be warned, knowing that you are from out of the country they will probably focus more on the specifics of Ontario, so I would make sure to know the contents of the CAD and the most recent director's orders. Maybe have a look at tssa.org to learn a bit more.

I hope this is helpful.

S

#18588 - 11/09/16 01:07 AM Re: canadian mechanics exam [Re: CBass]  
pieman Offline
pieman  Offline

That is very helpful. I will certainly take a look at there website . I did see them mentioned on the Ontario college of trades website but when I spoke to someone there they said that I had to get a trade equivalency assessment from them ( the Ontario college of trades ) prior to being allowed to apply to take the exam.
I did some further research and it would appear anyway that even if I took the exam and passed I would still only gain around 315 points under the comprehensive points ranking system when the bench mark to an invite is around 450 under the express entry system. Interestingly a certificate of qualification as an elevator mechanic gets you a maximum of 50 points . A degree of any kind ( drama , sociology or even film studies for example ) would get you 100 points. ... A job offer will get you an extra 600 points but having spoken to HR in Canada they have a policy of only offering you employment if you have a visa ...i can only get a visa if I have an offer of employment. Classic catch 22. It's a shame as I have many Canadian friends and love the Toronto area , I really would of liked to raise my kids there at least for a whiles.
As for leaving the Caribbean although I have enjoyed my time here and my kids were born here , after 9 years we are ready for a new experience ...and some cold weather!if anyone reading this feels like they would like to replace me please PM me as I am assisting with my exit strategy including trying to find a suitable replacement .
Thanks for the advice again.

#18596 - 11/09/16 02:46 PM Re: canadian mechanics exam [Re: pieman]  
Indirtwetrust Offline
ElevatorPractitioner
Indirtwetrust  Offline
ElevatorPractitioner

Local 18
Keep us posted on getting into the trade in Canada

#18604 - 11/10/16 12:51 AM Re: canadian mechanics exam [Re: pieman]  
CBass Offline
CBass  Offline

Canada
Just to clarify, the Ontario College of Trades are not the ones issuing your mechanic's license. They are the ones managing the schooling to become an elevator mechanic. Of course they will offer you to challenge the schooling portion (trade equivalency assessment) as it is business for them, and after that you could easily get your license from TSSA to work. But you could also go to TSSA as an out of province applicant and challenge the license directly, skipping the college of trades altogether, saving money and time with the same end result. I know this is a maze to navigate... I hope you can figure things out smile

S

#18635 - 11/12/16 05:33 PM Re: canadian mechanics exam [Re: CBass]  
pieman Offline
pieman  Offline

Thanks s , I did wonder if the college of trades was a step more than I needed to take ! I have to say its a lot easier to get into the trade and get qualified in the UK . You join a company do your 4 years training ( plus block release in tech college if your an apprentice ) you write up examples of work as you go and at the end your write ups are assessed by an independent and they may ask a few verbal questions on what you have written up. That's it. When you move companies rarely do they ask yo see your qualifications etc... At least not in the old days when everyone knew everyone in the trade . Guess the difference is the lack of a proper union in the UK ..nothing like a 'bench' or union school .

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit