Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,525
Posts36,927
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19533 - 02/11/17 05:08 AM How often does a elevator require service, low use  
SpaceLord Offline
SpaceLord  Offline

Hello.

The major tenant who used to occupy 95% of my building when out of business. I am only left with 1 small company on the ground floor therefore the elevator is basically never used now except for possible a realtor showing the space once in a while.

How often would an elevator need to be serviced in this situation? For example, once every 6 months?

Thanks.

Last edited by SpaceLord; 02/11/17 05:09 AM.
#19536 - 02/11/17 02:53 PM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: SpaceLord]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Spacelord,
Some states have a code for how often you are required to service your equipment. Your insurance provider may as well. With that said, asking how often it needs to be service depends on your equipment and the frequency of use.

If you are looking to save money, this may not be where to look. The elevator in your building is still part of the investment you made in the building. If someone is hurt using the elevator, the lawyers will chew you up for not maintaining your equipment.

I recommend reducing your expenses in another fashion.

Make good choices,

JKH
#19550 - 02/12/17 12:30 AM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: jkh]  
SpaceLord Offline
SpaceLord  Offline

Originally Posted By: jkh
Spacelord,
Some states have a code for how often you are required to service your equipment. Your insurance provider may as well. With that said, asking how often it needs to be service depends on your equipment and the frequency of use.

If you are looking to save money, this may not be where to look. The elevator in your building is still part of the investment you made in the building. If someone is hurt using the elevator, the lawyers will chew you up for not maintaining your equipment.

I recommend reducing your expenses in another fashion.

I have an elevator in my house which is only serviced once a year. The last time, the tech said that it looked like it was brand new and was museum quality.

I almost never use it except for laundry or if I am moving something large and heavy. I maybe use it 30-50 times max a year.

My building is only 3 floors not a skyscraper and the elevator is hydroponic so I think the worse case is that it will slowly lower to the bottom floor.

Good point on checking the local regulations, I will have to look those up and find out the minimum I'm required to do.

I would normally not do that but the building is almost empty.

Thanks.

#19556 - 02/12/17 01:43 PM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: SpaceLord]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

The elevator in your house isn't for public use and falls under your home insurance and your personal liability.

You keep mentioning that your building isn't full. Im sure your insurance company didn't lower their rates because of that. And I'm sure if you get sued a Lawer won't be sympathetic to you.

Your "almost empty" building falls under your general liability and depending on how you have your business set up you may be liable as well. I've worked in the elevator industry for 30+ years. I don't know you, and have no way of benefiting from the advice I'm giving you. So I'm asking you, is the little money you are trying to save worth the risk?

Make good choices,

JKH
#19557 - 02/12/17 04:04 PM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: jkh]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

JKH is correct. So many self lubing parts that NEED usage just to be functional. Public buildings have so much debri that ends up depositing itself into the hoistway as well. Hydraulic elevators for example have exposed Pistons that will pick up lint when left up, then when it does come down, deposits the gunk on the jack head.

Minimum service for a 3 stop hydro would be quarterly in my opinion.your "museum" quality home lift also doesn't really compare. Imagine a cherry 64 GTO that hasn't been started but twice in the last 6 months. Would it even start? Water coming out the pipes when it does?

#19564 - 02/13/17 03:50 PM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: SpaceLord]  
koneisland Offline
journeyman
koneisland  Offline
journeyman

[quote=SpaceLord]Hello.

The major tenant who used to occupy 95% of my building when out of business. I am only left with 1 small company on the ground floor therefore the elevator is basically never used now except for possible a realtor showing the space once in a while.

Have your lift mothballed and let them use the stairs.

#19703 - 02/26/17 06:17 AM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: koneisland]  
SpaceLord Offline
SpaceLord  Offline

Just wanted to make a spelling correction. I was trying to say Hydraulic not hydroponic but thank you for understanding what I was trying to say.

#19704 - 02/26/17 06:26 AM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: Silly]  
SpaceLord Offline
SpaceLord  Offline

Originally Posted By: Silly
JKH is correct. So many self lubing parts that NEED usage just to be functional. Public buildings have so much debri that ends up depositing itself into the hoistway as well. Hydraulic elevators for example have exposed Pistons that will pick up lint when left up, then when it does come down, deposits the gunk on the jack head.

Minimum service for a 3 stop hydro would be quarterly in my opinion.your "museum" quality home lift also doesn't really compare. Imagine a cherry 64 GTO that hasn't been started but twice in the last 6 months. Would it even start? Water coming out the pipes when it does?

Can hydraulic elevators be program to rest on the bottom floor then if this lint accumulation is a problem?

#19708 - 02/26/17 11:09 AM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: SpaceLord]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

That would depend on the controller. Take a picture or post the manufacturer, model number and year. And I'll see if I can answer that question for you.

Make good choices,

JKH
#19713 - 02/26/17 09:37 PM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: jkh]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

Space lord, that was just one single example. If you wish to chase down all of the items that would require extra servicing from lack of use; door tracks, sills, door operators, etc, feel free. Or you could simply sign up for a very basic quarterly service plan and let the professionals do it.

#19721 - 02/27/17 07:15 AM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: Silly]  
SpaceLord Offline
SpaceLord  Offline

Originally Posted By: Silly
Space lord, that was just one single example. If you wish to chase down all of the items that would require extra servicing from lack of use; door tracks, sills, door operators, etc, feel free. Or you could simply sign up for a very basic quarterly service plan and let the professionals do it.

What do you mean by quarterly service plan? Having the elevators serviced once per quarter ( 4 times a year)?

I have to research it but I think they are being serviced once per month on building which is now almost completely empty except a single tenant on the bottom floor with no use for the elevator.

If I can reduce it from 12 times a year to 4 times a year serviced by professionals, I would gladly take that savings until the building can be leased up again. The tenant who left is going to cost me almost a million dollars in lost rent that was under his obligation. I think he just transferred his business to a friend/business partner and they are operating under another companies name.

Anyway, realistically how often do you need to service an elevator which is not in use or used less than 50 times a year? In my house, it uses the steel cable not hydraulics, its once a year. I don't know about the commercial building which uses hydraulics and its 3 floors.

#19722 - 02/27/17 12:09 PM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: SpaceLord]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Again you are comparing apples with oranges. Your home elevator is your home elevator. In my home state you are legally responsible to have your commercial elevator serviced by a professional 4 times per year.

Did you check and see what your state requires?

This is my observation, You are a real estate business owner. You rent space for profit. It doesn't matter if your space is empty or full.

YOU ARE LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE TO MAINTAIN YOUR ELEVATOR EQUIPMENT....

Once you find out from you state, Inspector or whoever is the authority in you area, you should look for another elevator service contract.

#19723 - 02/27/17 12:34 PM Re: How often does a elevator require service, low use [Re: jkh]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Space lord,
I just went back and read your posts. We have given you solid advice and guidance.
It's been several week since you said you were going to contact the authority's and find out how often you are required to service your commercial elevator.

Are you wasting my time? You must be with a comment such as "I think the worse case is that it will slowly lower to the bottom floor"!

Such a comment says to me you are only concerned about money. If you don't wish to be accountable for your actions, I can't help you...

Make good choices,

JKH

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit