Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 24 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,515
Posts36,882
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1438 - 05/17/11 04:38 AM new Otis governors  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
For 200 fpm cars.

Qty 2 They got nice little rain covers on them.

$1500 for the pair, you pay shipping (and taxes, if any)

Originally ordered for a job where both original governors were frozen solid with rust. Evidently, their service provider never even so much as exercised the flyweights, and never noticed that both of them were seized up solid. If those cars ever fell, there would have been hell to pay. Anyway, I wasn't about to just oil them up, because for one thing, they had no cover to protect them from the direct rainwater coming in from the roof vents, and secondly, a governor is too important to just refurbish, with potentially galled pivot points, etc. It's not in the best interest of public safety to refurbish a governor that was so damaged from rust, best to replace it. It's just too damm important, to mickey-mouse around with a mere clean-up. So I gave the homeowners association a contract for two new ones. While the governors were on their way, the customer decided to go cheap, and got another company to just refurbish them. They cared more about money, than their safety. Then they sued me for their down payment, and lied to the arbitrator at small claims court, saying that there was never any problem with the governors at all. The dummass arbitrator bought their stinking line of lies, and the arbitrator convinced me that the judge would not understand, and I'd probably lose. I settled for a compromise, but never ever forgot that bad experience. Next time, if there is any safety concerns, get the State to come out and red tag the equipment, so it wont be "your word against their word" later on. Actually, I tried that twice since then, and couldnt get the State to react. We're turning into a third world country. Sigh....

Last edited by Vic; 05/17/11 04:43 AM.
#2633 - 02/14/12 05:22 AM Re: new Otis governors [Re: Vic]  
G.E.S. Offline
stranger
G.E.S.  Offline
stranger

That state inspector should be reprimanded. That sort of thing would never fly anywhere on the west coast that I have worked.

#2679 - 02/18/12 08:25 PM Re: new Otis governors [Re: G.E.S.]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
I never got him on the phone, just left a message, which uhm, uh, accidently got erased? I really don't know, but I never got a call back.

#2932 - 03/09/12 04:37 AM Re: new Otis governors [Re: Vic]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Make offer. You pay shipping, or pick them up

#2937 - 03/10/12 02:59 PM Re: new Otis governors [Re: Vic]  
J Sand Offline
Troubleshooter
J Sand  Offline
Troubleshooter

Los Angeles
Had a similar situation. Went to do a load test on a non-contract 1930's Otis geared. Found the governor frozen so bad, it took a half an hour with a prybar and a can of Liquid Wrench to even move the jaws. Safeties were frozen too. I LOTO and we gave the customer a list of needed repairs. Turns out L.A. Elevator did the prior load test 5 years prior and it passed with flying colors. The customer called L.A. Elevator that same day and VOILA! It passed with flying colors again! It's a miracle. I had notified the City Inspectors and they "investigated". Never heard another word, customer wouldn't pay the invoice and the equipment is still in the same condition.

#2940 - 03/10/12 08:08 PM Re: new Otis governors [Re: J Sand]  
Robert Krieger Offline
Robert Krieger  Offline

Camarillo, CA
Elevator mechanics are frequently the line of defense for public safety.

Regretfully, incentive checks for managers might put the public at significant risk. (Money wins over safety.)

This risk is noted at the beginning of the Labor Code Section 7300.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=lab&group=07001-08000&file=7300-7324.2

There should never be a situation where a conveyance inspector is in the back pocket of an elevator company or property management company.

The public depends on elevator mechanics, the companies they work for and conveyance inspectors doing the right thing. California Code of Regulations http://www.dir.ca.gov/Title8/3003.html specifies the requirements for a Conveyance inspector. Of importance is the following subsection:

(d) Performance of Duties. A candidate shall be of good character, free from disabling defects, and possessing sufficient agility to perform his duties safely and efficiently.

My employer runs credit checks, audits of records about our civil and criminal behaviors, drug testing as well as audits of our written reports to assure our compliance with the above requirement.

May I respectfully suggest that any valid claims of inappropriate behavior be reported to the following agency: http://www.bsa.ca.gov/hotline

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert L Krieger Jr.

#2942 - 03/11/12 03:34 AM Re: new Otis governors [Re: Robert Krieger]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

Great post Robert....

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit