Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,532
Posts36,953
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1569 - 06/29/11 11:13 PM 1929 Otis Traction Elevator - Bad Break Coil? Help  
sreja Offline
stranger
sreja  Offline
stranger

Let me say you guys have an amazing forum here - you really know (and love!) your elevators smile

I have a 5 story building in Illinois, built in 1929.

It has an Otis Traction elevator, presumably same age.

Elevator fuse blew yesterday, and upon inspection, elevator maintenance company (which is not Otis btw) reported that the "Break Coil" was damaged.

They reported that no part # could be determined, and so their recommendation was either: Have the coil rewound OR change over to a DC break. Both options expensive but the latter one being recommended and much more expensive.

I am going to link to some photos of the elevator room below.

I can see part numbers on many parts, but unfortunately none listing break parts. You can see some specs in a few of the photos.

Finally to my questions:

1. Can anyone help figure out the "break coil" part we need and whether there is any source for getting a replacement part?
2. And/or does it make sense to have the break coil "rewound"? Or switch to a whole new DC break system? (We're talking about many thousands of dollars).

Any other observations or advice would be hugely welcome.. I'm in the dark here.

Thank you in advance!

#1570 - 06/29/11 11:57 PM Re: 1929 Otis Traction Elevator - Bad Break Coil? Help [Re: sreja]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

I have one of these SOB's (that really the controller name) on service. that is a an AC magnet coil brake that was generally changed out in the 40's. They are not made anymore. Your service company is correct, a motor shop can wind the coil if he knows the correct amount of turns. Problem is you don't know what the condition of the linkage of the magnet coil is and how much longer it will last. A new DC brake is a more expensive option but you are talking about the most important device on your elevator, the brake. I would also suggest new brake pads because the reason the coil failed is it overheated due to the cooling oil its submerged in has leaked out and soaked into the pads. And you can also replace those flame thrower relays with new ones. As long as it is a like for like part(number of contacts and coil voltage) and you are not making wiring changes the elevator inspectors take it as a safety upgrade even in California.

#1571 - 06/30/11 05:31 AM Re: 1929 Otis Traction Elevator - Bad Break Coil? Help [Re: GreenPants]  
sreja Offline
stranger
sreja  Offline
stranger

GreenPants,

Thank you so much for such a fast and helpful reply. Can't tell you how much useful it is to have a "second opinion" on this.

It's a beautiful old elevator.

As for as changing the relays -- you'll appreciate that if we're going to end up spending $6,000 to have a DC break put in, we don't really have any spare money to do optional work. Hell we don't have the money to do the DC break frown

#1572 - 06/30/11 06:25 AM Re: 1929 Otis Traction Elevator - Bad Break Coil? Help [Re: sreja]  
Robert Krieger Offline
Robert Krieger  Offline

Camarillo, CA
CAUTION:
THE OIL PROBABLY CONTAINS PCB'S A KNOWN CANCER CAUSING AGENT. BE CAREFUL ABOUT YOUR EXPOSURE TO THE OIL.

Hollister-Whitney can probably get you a replacement brake. There are several companies in your area that can be of help.

There are too many horror stories to recount about people who thought they would "save money" by choosing what seemed like the the least priced option only to later and regretfully find out it was the most costly option.

Please don't risk public safety by keeping in service equipment that is long past due for replacement.

If you contact a consultant, they can direct you into methods of getting the funds to do the job right the first time. (I know that I can.) Consultants only ask that you pay them for their services.

This is a situation where you pay for what you get. Go to WESTLAW and check out the number of dockets in Illinois. Google personal injury and you will see what I mean.

This can be made safe and energy efficient with probable rebates, tax credits with out taking away from the character of the elevator enclosure or the building. CJ Anderson has a website with fixtures that compliment elevators of this vintage.

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert L Krieger Jr.
www.cctc.name

#1576 - 07/01/11 01:30 PM Re: 1929 Otis Traction Elevator - Bad Break Coil? Help [Re: sreja]  
sreja Offline
stranger
sreja  Offline
stranger

Thanks for the suggestions Robert!

#1579 - 07/05/11 03:19 PM Re: 1929 Otis Traction Elevator - Bad Break Coil? Help [Re: sreja]  
sreja Offline
stranger
sreja  Offline
stranger

I wonder if i could ask a follow up question:

If we have the break coil rewound/rebuilt -- is there a safety risk?

I don't think there is -- since obviously nothing bad happened with the elevator when the break coil broke this time, but i thought i should ask.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit