Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 17 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,495
Posts36,783
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22618 - 12/29/17 02:57 PM Help with Repair Bid  
Oxonjohn Offline
stranger
Oxonjohn  Offline
stranger

Let me start by apologizing for being here when I’m not an elevator professional. I’m on the board of a 40-Unit, 6-story 1-car, hydraulic-lift condo building in Chicago that was gut rehabbed and converted from a printing plant in 2000. I was hoping someone with knowledge about elevator repair could tell me if the bid we have received for some repairs sounds reasonable.

The problems we are having with the elevator involve the car stopping between floors, not leveling, and the door refusing to open. The mechanical room is unventilated and unheated and the problems seem to occur mostly on extremely hot or cold days. The problems are not constant.

The repair company wants to install the following for $66,500:

1. New microprocessor controller
2. New Tape head selector
3. New hall buttons
4. New infrared door edge
5. New car station w/phone and light
6. New (2) GAL MOFVR door operator
7. New car riding lantern
8. New infrared door edge
9. New lock kit
10. New car and hatch door rollers
11. New inspection station
12. New car-top hatch switch
13. New pit ladder
14. New traveling cable

Most of this sounds like cosmetic up-sell stuff to me. When I told the sales rep that he said none of this was cosmetic. I can’t see how a new pit ladder is going to solve our problems but what do I know? What do you think?

Thanks for your time.

#22621 - 12/29/17 06:55 PM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
JustWolf Offline
Liscensed Journeyman
JustWolf  Offline
Liscensed Journeyman

Milwaukee
Sounds reasonable, pit ladder must extend 48" above the sill and or handgrips must be provided to the same height. The rungs must be 16" wide and the rungs must be 12" on center. It shall also be designed to prevent slippage, (knurling, dimpling, or a non-skid surface. 4.5" from center of rung to nearest permanent object behind ladder. Abridged version of code.

#22622 - 12/29/17 06:58 PM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
ABE Offline
Mechanic
ABE  Offline
Mechanic

Do you know if the existing elevator installed in the condo was also installed in 2000? Do you have info on the existing elevator? The reason I ask is the list you provided above is for a full on modernization and the reason there are multiple items listed such as the pit ladder is that when certain items are updated the rest of the elevator will be required to come up to code. Often changing controller is the item the would require the other components to be brought up to code in many jurisdictions. None of the items above would be cosmetic other than the hall and car buttons but as I said earlier they are often required to be changed to meet current code or to work with a new controller.

I am also was curious about the brand and model of elevator as many hydraulic elevators that were installed in 2000 are still very much maintainable. You mentioned the temperature issue in the mechanical room, and if that is not addressed you very well may have the same issues after spending all the money on a modernization.

As far as the cost goes it sounds very reasonable if not rather low for your area. The other thing to keep in mind though is that you may have to bring other items up to code to like your fire alarm system, equipment room or electrical as part of a upgrade like this which could add a lot more cost.

#22624 - 12/29/17 07:50 PM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: ABE]  
Givealift Offline
stranger
Givealift  Offline
stranger

Have been using from the controller works fine and still need a service manual and parts list to look up replace couple swichs part #s and cost

#22625 - 12/29/17 08:15 PM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
Rolly Offline
old hand
Rolly  Offline
old hand

I am pretty sure Chicago has their own code. I would contact an Inspector to see what Chicago code is. As for the other items, what kind of Contract you have if you have one? I would question some of the items if you have a full coverage contract. If they are claiming they are obsolete, look around and see if parts are still for sale.

#22626 - 12/30/17 02:22 AM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
The owner doesn’t mention the lift was upgraded as well in 2000. But we know that any lift will be abused during a 6 story building rehab...because thats what happens.
As far as a “full MOD” goes, which it sounds as though that’s the proposition, the price sounds reasonable. # 9&10 must be together as I’m hoping “lock kit” means ALL door interlock contacts for a complete door package minus new nylon door sill guides (not listed).
No mention of new hoistway wiring, or pumping unit/valve, whether to replace or retain/refurbish. The list should state 2 infrared edges too as the OP mentions 2 MOVFR operators.
And as has been mentioned any costs incurred from your local codes for safety i.e. smoke detector locations and annunciation panel capabilities from old to new.

Be sure your installation company is state licensed as well as their field employees.
If the customer building owner insists on a full modernization, get three reputable company bids and check to see that the proposed scope of work is the same for each.

But...Rolly brings up a good point. IF the customer has a service contract, how are these operational issues being addressed? Or is it a strong arm tactic?

#22630 - 12/30/17 04:39 PM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
Indirtwetrust Offline
ElevatorPractitioner
Indirtwetrust  Offline
ElevatorPractitioner

Local 18
I think the biggest questions are do you have a maintenance contract and what type of elevator is it. If you do have a contract, I would suggest first talking to the maintenance mechanic’s main point of contact at the building. What might seem like the same problem over and over could be an old elevator that badly needs a modernization. Please give us an update on the details, especially what type of controller is there now and what type of controller is being proposed.

#22637 - 01/01/18 08:59 AM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

Whatever you decide, to MOD or not, I would suggest getting a split system heat pump installed in the machine room regardless. If you keep your old equipment and just get it serviced, this could help, and if you go full on MOD, you will ruin it without proper climate control. If you can't get a ductless split system into your room, at least throw a baseboard heater in there with some open air venting. Get two thermostats and just have them set up so they both do not operate, I.e cooling comes on at 75 degrees and heater turns on at 60 degrees...

#22643 - 01/03/18 03:08 AM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
CraigZ Offline
stranger
CraigZ  Offline
stranger

I work for an elevator contractor from Chicago, feel free to call me on my cell phone at 630-918-3944. I can answer questions and visit your building to help you out. We do quite a bit of low to mid rise modernization work.

Craigz@colleyelevator.com
or
630-918-3944

#22682 - 01/09/18 02:52 PM Re: Help with Repair Bid [Re: Oxonjohn]  
chicago Offline
chicago  Offline

Couple compaines to stay away from in Chicago
1. Colley Elevator
2. All Types Elevator
3. Suburban Elevator
Small compaines that give low bids then boooom hit you hard with extra charges.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit