Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,529
Posts36,945
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1784 - 09/14/11 09:13 AM Elevator crashed problem  
Hamed Offline
stranger
Hamed  Offline
stranger

Hello,

We have a residential building elevator crashed in the pit, it dropped from the 1st floor, it was coming from the 6th floor and should have been stopped in the 1st floor, but it crashed with the absorber,(it was overloading with people)......people inside the car are telling different story, some say it dropped directly from the 6th floor to the pit, others say it stopped in the 1st floor then dropped from the 1st floor to the pit, what are the probabilities for both cases?

#1785 - 09/14/11 09:51 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Hamed]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
kiwinightstalker  Offline
mushroom

It was overloaded...dont need anymore reasons than that!!!! cant stop stupidity of people

I used to be indecisive....now i"m not so sure
#1786 - 09/14/11 11:45 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
Hamed Offline
stranger
Hamed  Offline
stranger

What I'm aiming for is really the analysis of the problem, why the governor didn't work? why the limit switch didn't work? is the elevator brake has an issue? inverter problem?.....etc.

Last edited by Hamed; 09/14/11 11:46 AM.
#1787 - 09/14/11 12:06 PM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Hamed]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
mushroom

no too much weight in the lift, It wouldnt have "crashed" from the 6th floor...people have NO sense of reality when they are stuck in a lift. Obviously you are NOT in the industry as you would understand how when a lift is OVERLOADED and slips through the brake that NOTHING will stop it untill it hits the buffer, the lift didnt overspeed that why the governer didnt trip the limit WONT work when the lift is sliding thru the brake and certainly not a drive problm...get over it if the people are stupid enough to overload the lift then they get what they deserve!!!

Last edited by kiwinightstalker; 09/14/11 12:07 PM.

#1790 - 09/14/11 07:06 PM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
Hamed Offline
stranger
Hamed  Offline
stranger

Thanks for the answer, but as my understand, elevators when overloaded won't even move, the electric motor will be disconnected automatically from the beginning.

#1793 - 09/15/11 03:03 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Hamed]  
fateinc2005 Offline
journeyman
fateinc2005  Offline
journeyman

Is it a hydraulic elevator or a traction elevator ?

#1796 - 09/15/11 07:07 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: fateinc2005]  
Hamed Offline
stranger
Hamed  Offline
stranger

It's a traction elevator.

#1797 - 09/15/11 11:16 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Hamed]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
mushroom

Again, if the lift is overloaded it still CAN slip through the brake (no matter how good it is), no amount of limit switches and overspeed devices (and if it does slip through the brake the govenor WONT activate because its not going fast enough and if the overspeed switch trips(NOT the mechanical govener)does trip wont stop the lift from sliding..obviously you dont know lifts and are looking for an excuse to blame the lift service contractor, if you are that worried employ a consultant (gee never though id say that) to survey the lift. We cant give an analysis as we DONT know the condition of the lift and DONT know the circumstances behind it.

#1798 - 09/15/11 12:01 PM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
Robert Krieger Offline
Robert Krieger  Offline

Camarillo, CA
The term "broke traction" is used to describe when the elevator hoist ropes slip on the driving sheave. This typically happens as a result of poor maintenance, poor engineering design and overloading.

It will happen with counter weighted traction elevators that are lightly loaded at the top floor causing the car to drift into the overhead and counter weighted overloaded traction elevators at the bottom floor causing the car to drift into the buffers.

George Gibson has a DVD available from elevator world book store that describes in great detail about the physics and math about this.

The building owner is to blame here because it is their building. As building owners and managers move to the "cheaper is better" paradigm, it causes them to neglect principals that are known and have been known for many years. (Thank you Sir Issac Newton Jr.) It's making a tidy little niche market for under employed attorneys to shake down the building owners and their insurance providers for such ignorance. For some reason the people who overloaded the lift are seen as exempt from the part they played by obviously overloading the elevator.

It is most likely that the lift failed to stop and continued to drift to the pit from the terminal floor. It would most likely have been traveling at rated speed or less when broke traction and struck the buffers. In some extreme cases, it could happen when the load is put on the lift.

Hollister Whitney has a great product that can mitigate such incidents. It's called the rope gripper and prevents unintended movement of the car.

Will the owner put one in after the horse has left the barn? Please keep us posted.

Respectfully Submitted.

#1803 - 09/15/11 11:54 PM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Robert Krieger]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Scientific method requires examination of the evidence first-hand, then reaching a rational conclusion, based on the evidence. It has not been proven whether the lift broke traction, or slipped through the brake, or some other issue occured. Without expert examination of the equipment, no definite conclusions can reached at this time.

What is almost a cetainty, is that it DID NOT "drop" from the 6th floor, in a true freefall, as the public is so very fond of imagining. There is no way for the passengers to know exactly what the elevator did, without having the advantage of visual refrence. When you are "blind" inside a box, the theater of the mind conjures up the most fantastic scenarios, compounded by the fear of the unknown. The pit of one's stomach is not an arbiter of velocity, nor direction of travel. For example, a change in velocity in a given direction, is often reported as a change in direction, when that in fact is not the case. The Star Tours ride at Universal Studios doesn't move more than a few feet, but you'd swear your Tie Fighter was swooping down through chasms hundreds of feet deep in the Death Star. In the same manner, the publics' reporting of elevator motion is notoriously innacurate, especially with those who have a predisposition for being emotional.

In this case, if it had actually fallen without restriction, it would have most likely had structural damage, and serious injurys. (The buffer is not designed to dissipate impact from "terminal" velocity, but rather, closer to contract speed velocity) It is very likely that the lift slowed down for the bottom floor in the normal manner, then after stopping, (upon the normal removal of torque from the motor that was slowing it down), either slipped through the brake, (or broke traction), then slid into the buffer. Of course, there are other possibilities, but no evidence demands no verdict.

As has been said, in any case, the fact of the elevator being overloaded precipitated the event.

Last edited by Vic; 09/16/11 12:07 AM.
#1807 - 09/16/11 11:53 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Vic]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
mushroom

thats virtually what I have said ...in different terms...it seems that the original poster doesnt belive that a lift due to being overloaded (his terms) can and WILL slide thru the brake when overloaded...just ask any nightcall guys after attending a hotel/motel after a big night!!!

Last edited by kiwinightstalker; 09/16/11 11:54 AM.

#1811 - 09/17/11 04:44 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Yes, kiwinightstalker, I was aware that my post was covering some of the same ground. Your ideas were SO good, they bore repeating!

#1814 - 09/17/11 08:05 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Vic]  
Hamed Offline
stranger
Hamed  Offline
stranger

I thank you all for the comments, but is there a guide or reference to troubleshoot some common elevator problems? I'm really new to this thing.

#1815 - 09/17/11 12:07 PM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Vic]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
mushroom

aw shucks blush at least someone gives me credit!!!...LOL..all I was doing (hopefully) was agreeing to your post to reinforce to the original poster that when you overload a lift it CAN go into the buffer no matter how many saftey devices are fitted!!!. Actually the buffers did there job as it seems noone got hurt!!!!

#1816 - 09/17/11 04:11 PM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Hamed]  
E-man Offline
addict
E-man  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Hamed
I thank you all for the comments, but is there a guide or reference to troubleshoot some common elevator problems? I'm really new to this thing.

The replies given by all these professionals were excellent answers to your question. Sounds like you need a reputable elevator company to send a licensed elevator man to take a look at this thing.
Did anyone seek medical attention? Not sure about residential elevators but if there is an alleged injury on a commercial elevator, it should be locked and tagged for a State Elevator Inspector to inspect before it is moved, worked on, or (in worst case) put back in service. He will try and determine if the negligence was on the part of the people riding (highest probably in this case), the elevator malfunctioning, the building owner and/or the elevator maintenance company - if there is one.

Last edited by E-man; 09/17/11 04:21 PM.
#1857 - 09/22/11 02:36 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: E-man]  
Smitty Offline
bangyourheadhere
Smitty  Offline
bangyourheadhere

Annapolis Md.
In total agreement with E-man above. Hamed , sir you need to realize that there is no room in this industry for people trying to self service something that has John Q.Public riding it. You are
taking unnecessary risk with peoples lives not to mention your own. Hire a licensed professional elevator company to fix your unit before someone seriously is injured.

#1875 - 09/28/11 06:14 AM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Smitty]  
Hamed Offline
stranger
Hamed  Offline
stranger

Robert, the rope grippers aren't that useful, there way of act is depending on the safety circuit when the elevator leaves the door area, it will stop the elevator but not immediately, the elevator can stop between 2 levels (out of door area) and slip a little with a rope grippers on.

#2506 - 02/06/12 10:00 PM Re: Elevator crashed problem [Re: Hamed]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

If you don't think an elevator will slide through the brake, just look on the car panel of any old single speed AC Machine. Those inching buttons are there for a reason..

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit