Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,532
Posts36,953
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2636 - 02/15/12 02:21 AM otis elite service sales pitch  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=dlsBH5zprgE

"Umm hello, I was just jumping in the elevator. Can you please reset the elevator?"
This is what our industry is coming to. BTW this is totally illegal in California.

Here at Otis we have come up with the technology to instantly beam parts and a qualified college graduate to your building.

First I think they should give us a phone that actually works.

#2637 - 02/15/12 03:52 AM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: GreenPants]  
halfpick Offline
enthusiast
halfpick  Offline
enthusiast

California
Amazing.....Simply Amazing! I've got to give it to OTIS. I keep telling everyone these elevators are going to fix themselves in the future. How much does it cost? And I agree totally with you Greenpants!

#2638 - 02/15/12 04:12 AM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: halfpick]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

I've seen links to the youtube vids on the Big O intranet. Unfortunately you can't access youtube, via the Intranet, because of IT security concerns. Thanks for the links out here in the real world..

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx
#2639 - 02/15/12 04:29 AM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
Administrator Offline
Administrator
Administrator  Offline
Administrator

Orange County, California
I've heard the State of California is already trying to fight this type of remote reset or repair technology. Anyone have any updates on how that's going?
Thanks for the video Green Pants. I need to find out where to order my elite engineer application when I'm ready to turn my tool bag in for a mouse and monitor.:)

#2640 - 02/15/12 05:26 AM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: Administrator]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

i need a otis mechanic. oh there's an app for that.

#2644 - 02/15/12 04:51 PM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: GreenPants]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

I sometimes wonder if we're the last of a dying breed. You know, when you walk into an old Composite, 81UCL, or ERL control, and the kid with you asks..
"Where do I plug in my laptop?"..

Remember when there was a color TV repair shop on every block?

I have no doubt all this stuff is coming and to a large extent is already there in NEW product. Forutnately there's enough old stuff to probably see us to retirement, before uber modernazation of network controls takes over..

#2645 - 02/15/12 11:32 PM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

this is just another way to go to breakdown service instead of preventative service. otis has done this revolusionary stuff before and every time we had reverted to the old ways. rem was this precurser and failed. service 2000 failed. and now some dolt on the phones will tell us the 6th floor magnet is faulty. um i will see what needs to be done thanks.

#2651 - 02/16/12 03:57 AM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: uppo72]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

There is getting less and less to do maintenance wise on the new controls. No brake cores to take apart. No relay shunts, contacts, terminals. No open loop controls. No brushes. No mechanical selectors. Everything is just becoming so modular, with very few discreet compoents. The controls are just otherworldly compared to even 20 years ago. Much less 30 or 40 years ago. The 1st time I saw a 311 about 20 years ago, I commented to a fellow co-worker..I could maintain 150 of these easy. What the hell you going to do? Clean the machine room and routine the doors.

The problem is you don't get 200 311's or 200 400A's, or 200 Tac 5004's. (Notice I didn't mention KCM 831's...LOL) They still got all this high maintenance stuff out there they treat like new stuff maintenance time wise..

But I have a feeling as time goes by, with the newer controls, and the MBA's running the show, we'll eventually go the way of the color Television repair man.

Problem???
Just change out the one and only board, and go to the next job and change out the one and only board.

Hell...
For 20 years you've had Autotune on Drives on that will automatically set up you PID loops. Most OEM drives when matched to an OEM machine, will run flawlessly high speed once you get a inspection run...

Remember the weeks it used to take to set up a 1200 FPM DMR or 81UCL...Those days are long gone.

The future is right around the corner and while the inner complexities of controls will become even more complex, to the technician, out in the field, they will become less and less complex because of the diagnostic tools, and pre fab in the factories..

You might not like it..But it's coming...

Anybody remember using DOS or CPM from the command line before the MAC and Windows GUI interface??? Or setting up a Com board's IRQ's and DMA jumpers before plug and play USB?

When's the last time you saw a serial port or printer port on a computer?

When's the last time you signed into a Bulletin Board Service like Compuserve?

And that's what's going on computer wise. Elevators are still evolving technology wise, but you won't find one that doesn't use an encoder, AC drive, etc...And as the embedded programmers catch up, you guys will be looking at the stuff out there now 10 years from now and thinking ..."That old junk"...LOL...

(I know I'm old...They're modding stuff I put in and adjusted..)..LOL..

MP21's, who just went obsolete 10 years ago, ran on an INTEL 286. Technology, is coming... and in a lot of respects is already here..

Last edited by Broke_Sheave; 02/16/12 04:09 AM.

#2686 - 02/19/12 06:02 PM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: Broke_Sheave]  
christycollett Offline
addict
christycollett  Offline
addict

Monterey, CA
Very Good Broke Sheave,

You think you're old? They're now modding stuff that my young helpers installed after they turned out as mechanics.

Work Safe,

Jim

#2899 - 03/07/12 02:44 AM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: christycollett]  
Upndown Offline
stranger
Upndown  Offline
stranger

Northeast USA
Wow, that sucks. I still have 33+ years until retirement. You think there will be enough mods to keep me going? Maybe I can score a sweet job as a " highly trained D bag, sorry, engineer", who sits staring at a screen all day thinking I'm some kind of elevator god.

#2905 - 03/07/12 05:02 AM Re: otis elite service sales pitch [Re: Upndown]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: Upndown
Wow, that sucks. I still have 33+ years until retirement. You think there will be enough mods to keep me going? Maybe I can score a sweet job as a " highly trained D bag, sorry, engineer", who sits staring at a screen all day thinking I'm some kind of elevator god.

You never know

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit