Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 25 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,508
Posts36,839
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33874 - 09/16/22 10:54 PM Should corroded door tracks be replaced?  
1456Oceanfront Offline
stranger
1456Oceanfront  Offline
stranger

San Diego
We have a 20-year-old OTIS Hydraulic, 5 stop that is right on the ocean. Our tech is recommending that we replace all 5 door tracks. We haven't got a proposal yet, but I know it won't be inexpensive. Are there any other options other than replacing the tracks? See the video for the elevator condition.

Here is a video that shows the condition.

#33875 - 09/16/22 11:38 PM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: 1456Oceanfront]  
Jluff Offline
old hand
Jluff  Offline
old hand

Yes

#33876 - 09/17/22 03:29 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: 1456Oceanfront]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
I could understand all interlock components needing replacement due to corrosion, and even the door operator itself, but the tracks would have to be rusted or corroded pretty bad and interfering with free door roller operation to need replacement. It could be, but the video you mention isn’t here.

#33878 - 09/17/22 04:17 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: elmcannic]  
1456Oceanfront Offline
stranger
1456Oceanfront  Offline
stranger

San Diego
Originally Posted by elmcannic
I could understand all interlock components needing replacement due to corrosion, and even the door operator itself, but the tracks would have to be rusted or corroded pretty bad and interfering with free door roller operation to need replacement. It could be, but the video you mention isn’t here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RTib08Rc4&t=1s

#33884 - 09/17/22 07:02 PM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: 1456Oceanfront]  
ABE Offline
Mechanic
ABE  Offline
Mechanic

If you are going to go through with the expense I would recommend using GAL door equipment. They have water restraint door operators, tracks, interlocks and hangers available.

#33886 - 09/18/22 02:50 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: 1456Oceanfront]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
Originally Posted by 1456Oceanfront

Ahhh I see it now. Thanks for reposting the video. Yes, those tracks (at least the one in the video) certainly shows more than just minor surface rust. Pitting is visible as well and the door hardware which shows the effects of sea air/moisture can be problematic. Call backs or shutdowns due to door troubles with marginal equipment can be costly to the owner as well as the service provider and commonly lead to trust issues and billing disagreements between the two. Big pain to replace integral tracks which you have. So yes the proposal change out cost won’t be cheap. Hall door equipment and most likely car door equipment will show the same condition. As mentioned above, if moisture resistant door equipment is available, I’d certainly consider it. In this case assuming all equipment is in the same degrading condition, I’d side with the service provider.

#33887 - 09/18/22 05:05 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: elmcannic]  
1456Oceanfront Offline
stranger
1456Oceanfront  Offline
stranger

San Diego

Ahhh I see it now. Thanks for reposting the video. Yes, those tracks (at least the one in the video) certainly shows more than just minor surface rust. Pitting is visible as well and the door hardware which shows the effects of sea air/moisture can be problematic. Call backs or shutdowns due to door troubles with marginal equipment can be costly to the owner as well as the service provider and commonly lead to trust issues and billing disagreements between the two. Big pain to replace integral tracks which you have. So yes the proposal change out cost won’t be cheap. Hall door equipment and most likely car door equipment will show the same condition. As mentioned above, if moisture resistant door equipment is available, I’d certainly consider it. In this case assuming all equipment is in the same degrading condition, I’d side with the service provider.

Thanks - Are there different types of tracks we could use for the new ones? Or will there only be limited choices? These tracks lasted 20 years - so I guess I can't complain - but would like to replace them with something that will last. Can I replace these tracks with non-integral tracks to make things easier in the future? Thanks!

#33888 - 09/18/22 05:08 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: ABE]  
1456Oceanfront Offline
stranger
1456Oceanfront  Offline
stranger

San Diego
Originally Posted by ABE
If you are going to go through with the expense I would recommend using GAL door equipment. They have water restraint door operators, tracks, interlocks and hangers available.

This is an OTIS elevator and OTIS is our maintenance company. Not sure how many choices I will have.

#33890 - 09/19/22 01:32 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: 1456Oceanfront]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah

Thanks - Are there different types of tracks we could use for the new ones? Or will there only be limited choices? These tracks lasted 20 years - so I guess I can't complain - but would like to replace them with something that will last. Can I replace these tracks with non-integral tracks to make things easier in the future? Thanks!

Remember; you’re ocean front, and most likely in 20 years it’ll look the same regardless of equipment manufacturer. That’s just my opinion based on location.
I’ve seen integral tracks replaced yes…with common type bolt on door equipment (GAL) but there are extra modifications to align or integrate old with new and it adds quite a bit to the labor portion of the bid. And if the hoistway side (hallway door equipment) is modded, the car side will have to be as well. I’m not even sure Otis would have a direct replacement 20 years later, but it might be worth looking into to save a ton of money with one phone call. But for the most part, GAL Manufacturing door equipment has remained nearly unchanged for over 30 years. There are available replacement parts for nearly all types of their door equipment, so they are a good choice. But again, Otis may offer a straight replacement as well with minimal corrections to existing equipment. Hard choices now, but whichever way you choose it’ll be easier in the future because it won’t be you choosing! Just kidding. So you’ve got a bit more homework to do, but you’re smart in asking for advice.

#33891 - 09/19/22 01:39 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: 1456Oceanfront]  
danzeitz Offline
addict
danzeitz  Offline
addict

st.louis mo
ABE has the best answer. Replace with equipment that is designed for wet/corrosive environment.

#33893 - 09/19/22 12:43 PM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: ABE]  
KSNY Offline
KSNY  Offline

Originally Posted by ABE

This! GAL has Zinc Plated tracks that we use in similar locations.

I like elevators and cars. Be Smart Work Safe!
#33897 - 09/20/22 02:18 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: elmcannic]  
1456Oceanfront Offline
stranger
1456Oceanfront  Offline
stranger

San Diego
Remember; you’re ocean front, and most likely in 20 years it’ll look the same regardless of equipment manufacturer. That’s just my opinion based on location.
I’ve seen integral tracks replaced yes…with common type bolt on door equipment (GAL) but there are extra modifications to align or integrate old with new and it adds quite a bit to the labor portion of the bid. And if the hoistway side (hallway door equipment) is modded, the car side will have to be as well. I’m not even sure Otis would have a direct replacement 20 years later, but it might be worth looking into to save a ton of money with one phone call. But for the most part, GAL Manufacturing door equipment has remained nearly unchanged for over 30 years. There are available replacement parts for nearly all types of their door equipment, so they are a good choice. But again, Otis may offer a straight replacement as well with minimal corrections to existing equipment. Hard choices now, but whichever way you choose it’ll be easier in the future because it won’t be you choosing! Just kidding. So you’ve got a bit more homework to do, but you’re smart in asking for advice.

Here is the official OTIS recommendation:

"After discussing extensively with our lead field engineer, it is our professional recommendation to replace the car and hall hanger rollers, eccentric rollers, interlock assemblies and gibs, at each landing serviced by the elevator. We would be replacing all the moving parts. We will also sand the tracks to remove rust, paint and lubricate them. Price $13,500

Since you have integral tracks and hangers, a full track and hanger replacement would also require Otis to replace the car door and all hall doors, since the current hanger assembly is attached/integrated with the doors. The new style of tracks (Otis Mod Tracks) has a different footprint than your existing tracks so they wouldn't be a like-for-like swap out (likely require additional engineering by Otis to make them fit properly without having big holes/gaps at each floor).

Doing so would cost between of $50K-80K and have very long lead times...therefore, we are confident the attached scope of work will significantly improve the condition of your equipment and be a more cost-effective solution"

Sounds like the best -"only" path forward?

Last edited by 1456Oceanfront; 09/20/22 02:29 AM.
#33898 - 09/20/22 04:43 AM Re: Should corroded door tracks be replaced? [Re: 1456Oceanfront]  
elmcannic Offline
addict
elmcannic  Offline
addict

S. Central Utah
Well…
This is an interesting turn. If “sanding the tracks” to remove rust is the Big O’s solution to the corroded tracks, your service tech in the video or his companies repair crew personnel could do the same. I’m certain all those “moving door parts” mentioned by Otis are available to any elevator contractor. So maybe get a bid from them and compare the same scope of work with Otis’ scope. Tracks typically aren’t painted on the rolling surface, but get sanded in the field to remove paint. But in the event Otis is your service provider, you can call in for bids on the work from any licensed elevator contractor, and even request using the aforementioned GAL tracks that are zinc plated for comparison cost. Then that 50K-80K up charge for extra work might come into better focus. The quoted cost sounds reasonable though. So your concern about ‘future” issues with doors has been answered. Yes you’ll have issues. They’ll rust again in the coastal environment. Good luck.

Oops…just saw post 9.

Last edited by elmcannic; 09/20/22 04:46 AM.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit