Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 29 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano, zorktar, LiftsInSpace, Brian-EW
8457 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,501
Posts36,814
Members8,457
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#13455 - 02/17/15 05:08 PM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Will This Work]  
cucuvator Offline
journeyman
cucuvator  Offline
journeyman

Caribbean
I love the smartrise , traction or hidro, no problem.

#13457 - 02/17/15 11:04 PM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Administrator]  
Dan Donlin Offline
stranger
Dan Donlin  Offline
stranger

NJ
As a previous poster said, you need an engineering degree to follow the prints. Their customer service is top notch , but if they had a traditional print I would not need to call them as often.

#14463 - 06/18/15 02:18 PM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Dan Donlin]  
smartriseguy Offline
stranger
smartriseguy  Offline
stranger

The prints are a little different from most but with a little help they are more than easy to read

#14468 - 06/19/15 01:01 AM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Will This Work]  
elevatorpat Offline
elevatorpat  Offline

Florida
My only problem with smartrise is with brown outs, we service several on an area of town that has bad power and you got random faults of the car being lost, I think they sell an upgrade because I priced one out recently and there was a line item on the estimate from them thay said brown out protection, also the new ones we've installed don't have that problem but earlier versions must...

#14471 - 06/19/15 04:36 AM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: elevatorpat]  
CES Offline
Elevator Junkie
CES  Offline
Elevator Junkie

Chicago, IL
That issue wouldn't be controller related. If in fact brownouts are occurring the system (and many other control systems) would most likely be getting an under voltage fault. Typically the frequency drive (Magnitech) will pick up that power loss and record it as an under voltage fault. However, those same under voltage issues could be simply an individual building issue and not necessarily a grid problem. Loosing 10% of your power, or more, for more than a minute is technically a brownout. Though these issues can be directly related to the building and or installation. Things to look for would be the mainline wire's capacity and the length of that run, other equipment sharing the same power, and believe it or not loose connections. What's more if the building has poor power and everyone turns their AC on during a hot day, the voltage can drop and cause a bottle neck at the transformer restricting the elevators needed power.

Moving forward, I realize i'm rambling here although, I do want to share another possibility that could be causing your control issues. Due to the fact SmartRise controllers are entirely serial link, they are also very sensitive to harmonics or electrical noise. Check all connection, add/replace shielding or shielded wires and be sure every piece of equipment is grounded.

I've installed many of these controllers and have found verifying all of the above typically results in the problems being found.

Good luck hope you find the issue.

Love what I do, enjoy the challenge, the elevator industry has made me a much smarter man than I ever would have been.
#15984 - 01/28/16 03:04 AM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: CES]  
chitownvator Offline
stranger
chitownvator  Offline
stranger

they uses an ungrounded system like westinghouse did. they want to isolate the 24v circuits from earth ground because of possible induced voltage into the circuit. If you have C24, M24, or H24 going to earth ground the elevator could possibly move on its own while you have control of it on car top or hoistway inspection. It won't pop the breakers because REF on the power supply isn't grounded to earth ground BE CAREFUL

#15986 - 01/28/16 03:59 AM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: chitownvator]  
Vatorgator Offline
addict
Vatorgator  Offline
addict

we installed 3 traction cars a couple of years ago. the mechanic left the car on cartop for the night while doing the mod, the next day he came and the car had moved from where he left it, a couple of floors. he thought it was strange but all seemed ok, so he moved on. a while later, same thing. he was on the car when it moved by itself. very dangerous. so he continued the mod and always pulled stop switch. smartrise told him to recheck all wiring, but he found nothing wrong. any way he finished car and moved to next car. sure enough he was getting the same thing. now we knew it was not a fluke. I believe the it was induced voltages from the trail cable. you could see some of the input led on lightly. any way smartrise came out and installed relays in the inspection circuit. and it solved the problem. the cars have ran great for the last 2 years, rarely a call.

#16294 - 02/26/16 10:27 PM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Vatorgator]  
tower Offline
stranger
tower  Offline
stranger

I have looked at the engineering degree to read the drawings Donlin, you just need common sense. Very easy to follow through if you know what you are doing..... I have been using them for the last 5 years, and I would never go back to GAL, or MCE.

#32409 - 01/23/22 06:14 AM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Vatorgator]  
ASME17 Offline
Delaware
ASME17  Offline
Delaware

We are having the same issue with their latest traction controller which is called C4., I saw it was mentioned by someone else also in this forum!
The car moved on its own when we were working on the car. There is a serious problem with their brake boards and the whole logic we believe. They were not able to solve the issue yet, and it is extremely dangerous. We are thinking of changing the controller and switching to another vendor.

Last edited by ASME17; 01/23/22 06:16 AM.
#32410 - 01/23/22 07:50 PM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Administrator]  
EElevator Offline
addict
EElevator  Offline
addict

I personally have installed a ton of Virginia controls over the years, as far as hydros, in my opinion they are the best. I have a bunch of unreliable smartrise hydros on my route. I take care of many different types of controls. I have one hospital with smartise cars with gearless Torin machines. I have another hospital with MCE iBox's with gearless Torin machines. Identical cars, both have GAL movfr operators. In my opinion there is no comparison. The MCEs are light-years ahead of smartrise. So much better ride, much better reliability. Not just the hospitals, I have a bunch of smartrise cars in random buildings.

Smartrise was not created to make the most reliable, best performing controller out there. They were created so a man could get rich taking a portion of the market selling controllers to small independent companies, following the trend of making the install so simple a monkey could do it.

I think their selectors/tapes are junk. The lock board issues are embarrassing. It's caused so many callbacks its ridiculous, everytime though smartrise makes money selling another part. They came out with an updated lockboard to reduce the issues. I have a better idea, install a better designed controller without completely unnecessary redundant failure points designed right into the controller. That board shouldn't even be there. Another example, the B2 contactor for the brake on smartrise, 3 pole standard contactor. It opens/closes 1 wire. They wired all three contacts in series so any one contact not making well causes issues, Instead of wiring the three poles In parallel so all three would have to fail to cause an issue (meaning way more reliable).

Loose fuses in holders on SRU boards. SRU boards randomly going bad. Car loosing memory of where the imaginary magnets are causing callbacks, long lag times between placing a call and waiting for the controller to process everything and move the car. I wish I could go to some of my jobs right now and look through my log books, I know I'm forgetting more stuff.

I have found the cars I have that have the least reliable controls are Ecospaces, followed by smartrises. The most reliable are the va controls, mce iboxs , etc. Other guys in my company and guys I know at other local companies have similar track records of what's reliable and what's not.

#32411 - 01/23/22 10:40 PM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Administrator]  
EElevator Offline
addict
EElevator  Offline
addict

I realize I sound a bit harsh towards smartrise. To be fair they do run, most of them I'm not at fixing each week , but they do have far more issues than most of the rest of the controls on my route. However most of what said is well deserved I think by their not so smart engineering and design decisions.

And I do like the debug screen you can place calls with real quick and can see where the car is/car speed. It's not all bad. But I don't think the couple nice bells and whistles with smartrise are enough to outweigh the negative.

Does anyone else have fun with their force guided relays for sf1 and sf2 that like to burn up contacts? That you have to order from smartrise...

When I work with the sales folks in my office to get quotes out, anything critical or important I'm always sure to spec a MCE ibox or va controls mh3000.

#32412 - 01/24/22 03:59 AM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: EElevator]  
liftronic Offline
LA Elevator
liftronic  Offline
LA Elevator

US
Yep, those two relays fail all the time! You can see spark inside them when the contactors pick or releases. Definitely a design issue.
No need to mention all the 120volt inputs. They also fail all the time causing to get redundancy error, which requires changing the main board and re-learning the shaft which is a pain. I hate seeing “syncing” message and all the delays for doing a simple task. it seems like they also know about all these issues and instead of solving the problem they have chosen to increase the warranty period to 5 years! I am not a fan of that.
I agree with you about Virginia Controls and MCE. Those are my favorite controllers too.

#32419 - 01/25/22 02:04 PM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Administrator]  
KSNY Offline
KSNY  Offline

I don't like them for 2 major reasons.

1st is software. IF you have software issues getting it resolved can be difficult and time consuming. However, when corrected it will most likely be good until you do something like Door Lock Monitoring and smartrise never updated the files, so you need to start all over with the "bugs" in the software.

2nd tech support. They are the worst for tech support. I filed a complaint with the BBB because they told me if you don't buy "X" amount of controllers from them a year you get moved to the back of the que. Waiting hours for the "call back" that normally comes super late in NYC like 7pm. This results in overtime charges for the customer and many hours of useless billing for the customer. Tech support just reads from a screen and have little knowledge of elevators so sooner or later they will tell you "We need a senior tech" and now you go back into the que waiting hours (again) for a call back. I now record the conversations with the Tech Support and make them send an email to keep a paper trail. If anyone wants to see the weeks of emails for this project we have in NY where the problem was software and they couldn't figure it out for literally 2 weeks (10 days half that was waiting for call backs) at what point they sent us new software but was never updated with all the changes made for floor lock outs, floors taken out of service, parking, PI changes. I sent them the job download and they still couldn't update.

My preference is MCE or ESI. If you call tech support, they are calling you back within an hour (usually). The prints have 90% of the information needed to fix almost all the elevators but yes sometimes you need to call tech support. Both of these companies have the software down to a science, so you don't need to worry about that. I also like them because they are more mechanical with relays and are safer.

This is my opinion.

I like elevators and cars. Be Smart Work Safe!
#32424 - 01/26/22 05:20 AM Re: Smart Rise Controllers [Re: Administrator]  
Alex_ELMAN Offline
Miami Elevator
Alex_ELMAN  Offline
Miami Elevator

I've heard they are going out of business. Not sure how true it is, but its not surprising with so many bad reviews and terrible products and services.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit