Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,507
Posts36,835
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34953 - 03/21/23 02:57 PM Monarch Elevator & Machine Co Control Question  
rdoyle Offline
RDoyle
rdoyle  Offline
RDoyle

TRINITY
First post.
I am working on the controls on a 1911 Monarch Model BB3 freight elevator. They blew a control fuse and when they replaced it the control box hummed so they turned it off. I replaced the fuse and when you power up the contactor for the UP direction tries to pull in but does not pull in enough to engage the motor. I disconnected the coil of the UP contactor and it powers up fine and manually engaging the contactor the motor runs fine. I assume that the very old coil is bad but do not understand why the elevator attempts to raise on power-up. All of the switches seem fine. The car is between floors; maybe it defaults up on power up?

Are these very old coils available, or would it be best to completely rewire the controls? The schematic for this unit is completely unreadable, any ideas where to find one?

[img]https://www.fndphoto.com/Photography/Work/n-x3JG7Q/Miscellaneous/i-fM6sVn4/A[/img]

[img]https://www.fndphoto.com/Photography/Work/n-x3JG7Q/Miscellaneous/i-g8mdZS3/A[/img]

#34965 - 03/22/23 01:06 AM Re: Monarch Elevator & Machine Co Control Question [Re: rdoyle]  
EElevator Offline
addict
EElevator  Offline
addict

I wouldn't worry about why it's trying to run up at the moment. Could be a stuck button or it could just be close enough to a dz switch to want to level up.

It sounds like the up contactor coil is bad. Did you ohm it out? Compared to the down coil? Shorted to ground? It's best to use a megger if you have one. But from what you said it definitely would be surprising if it wasn't the coil. The fact everything else comes on with no issues when the coils disconnected and also its mechanically free and most importantly runs the motor when pushed in.

I would get the coil voltage and dimensions and start searching for something that will work. Maybe check the Adam's catalouge, working on this old stuff you just need a coil that's very close. Even if it says it's for an Otis or something else.

Very important.. do not under any circumstances replace that with a modern contactor. It can only be repaired or replaced with another carbon block contactor. Carbon block contactors cant weld shut. Modern metal contact contactors will weld shut. That old stuff has absolutely nothing protecting you or anyone else if a contactor were to weld and the car will run until the power is pulled or a fuse blows.

#34970 - 03/22/23 01:28 PM Re: Monarch Elevator & Machine Co Control Question [Re: EElevator]  
rdoyle Offline
RDoyle
rdoyle  Offline
RDoyle

TRINITY
Thank you very much for your response.
Great information about the contactor.
I won't be the one making the actual repair on this, I was just trying to help troubleshoot for them and helped them find the main disconnect for it. I work on a lot of things but not elevators and wouldn't feel completely comfortable working on it beyond replacing a fuse or correcting issues with incoming power unless it was obvious. Once I got to the point of deciding that the power and motor/mechanics were fine, I was curious about the coil and instant Up command. Looking down the shaft, it looks like there are plates for possible position switches, but this elevator is all manual. They hold the up or down button until it gets where they want to stop then release it to stop.

#35436 - 07/02/23 12:39 AM Re: Monarch Elevator & Machine Co Control Question [Re: rdoyle]  
BigMike Offline
stranger
BigMike  Offline
stranger

CJ Anderson has the coils.

#35437 - 07/02/23 01:39 PM Re: Monarch Elevator & Machine Co Control Question [Re: rdoyle]  
Alex_ELMAN Offline
Miami Elevator
Alex_ELMAN  Offline
Miami Elevator

Thank you EElevator for the comment about the carbon block contactors. Very interesting point.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit