Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,515
Posts36,881
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36366 - 12/08/23 04:38 AM Maine Mechanics exam  
Maverick Offline
stranger
Maverick  Offline
stranger

Hello everyone, Does anyone have any study materials for Maine elevator mechanics test? Will be taking it soon and would greatly appreciate any studying materials and tips. Thank you

#36368 - 12/08/23 03:14 PM Re: Maine Mechanics exam [Re: Maverick]  
EElevator Offline
addict
EElevator  Offline
addict

In VA the list of study materials is on the states website. Does Maine have a list if books the test is based off of? I think you gotta be more specific in what your looking for.

If yalls test is anything like ours primarily study the a17.1 code book. Most questions will be from that.

If your taking this test, it's presumed you've just spent the last 3-4 years in the trade mostly doing construction so you should have a good understanding of all the current codes relevant to construction and passing an inspection. I would focus on the areas of code your not familiar with. And at least read sections 2 and 3 front to back.

Is yalls test open book? VAs is, you can bring in paperback copies of the books on the list with no notes etc and they can even be tabbed. If that's the case in Maine I would buy or have your company buy a paperback version of the books to be able to take them into the test. And learn how to navigate them, ie look up anything in them. You really need to learn this for the code books anyhow to do our job daily. Remember, you passing this test is a very good thing for your company too. They should be footing the bill for the code books, test costs. Mechanics around here are hard to find. Good ones are like Bigfoot.

My biggest tip is no one in this life is going to look out for you at work and do what's best for you except you. Always take initiative for yourself and have some gumption about yourself. If you don't speak up for yourself and say something no one else is going to. If you let your company take advantage of you they will continue to take advantage of you forever. Time is more valuable than anything, never work for free. Always do your best and do a job you can be proud of. Always do whats right and safe. Never lie to or for a customer and never lie to or for your company. Put up and have boundaries and stick to them, do not be a "yes man". Don't wait on people, if you want to do something, take the wheel and make sure its getting done. Work is to fund your life with your family, work is not life. Never quit learning, even after passing the test, so many books out there and a smartphone you can learn most anything.

All that said, keep your head down and study hard. Get your license. Right now you are relatively replaceable. Once you past that test you are not very replaceable and can go to any company.

Celebrate when you pass! And buy a full brim hardhat

#36370 - 12/09/23 04:25 AM Re: Maine Mechanics exam [Re: Maverick]  
Maverick Offline
stranger
Maverick  Offline
stranger

Thank You for the tip. I really appreciate it. As for code book, Maine is on 2013 code book still and my employer has refused to provide compensation for the test or the book. I will be paying for both personally. I will reach out to other people in the industry in Maine hoping they may have the book I could borrow instead of purchasing it for $250+.

#36373 - 12/11/23 07:05 PM Re: Maine Mechanics exam [Re: Maverick]  
ashley Offline
journeyman
ashley  Offline
journeyman

What’s your email address, ill send you a link to 2013 , but sounds like you need a new employer.

#36375 - 12/11/23 07:46 PM Re: Maine Mechanics exam [Re: Maverick]  
EElevator Offline
addict
EElevator  Offline
addict

I was reading your post thinking I'll email you a file, but it's not paperback. Regardless I would pay for it, invest in your own future. The license is yours, no one can take it from you.

Then the balls in your court. Personally I would keep my head down, get my license. Then go negotiate your new salary with your employer. If they don't want to give you the appropriate raise, id tell them im still a helper then and wont do any inspections or other mechanics work. In other words, they shouldn't benefit from YOUR license until they're paying uou the appropriate mechanics wages. Understand MOST companies, reimburse you yearly for your license renewal and cost of continuing Ed. It's generally understood that a company benefits as much from you being licensed as you do. I agree with Ashley, sometimes you can be your own advocate and enact change on your own. But sometimes a company or folks are so screwed up you'd just be beating a dead horse, and its better to move on to a better place to be. It's hard to tell the difference though. I once worked for a company for a few months after a purchase that hired guys off Craigslist. It was a joke of a shop, did alot of shady stuff. I quickly realized I could Stay and be their main troubleshooter but be limited in my career and growth and pay, or move on. I moved on, spent a few years learning more and gaining experience and now am an adjuster at a large company making very good compensation.
Life's not all about the money, but I can't stand busting my butt for a fraction of what I should be making for a company that doesn't value their employees.

But the best time to look for a jobs while you have a job and ain't in a rush.

#36379 - 12/12/23 12:56 AM Re: Maine Mechanics exam [Re: ashley]  
Maverick Offline
stranger
Maverick  Offline
stranger

Sent you a message

#36388 - 12/12/23 07:59 PM Re: Maine Mechanics exam [Re: Maverick]  
ashley Offline
journeyman
ashley  Offline
journeyman

Link sent