Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 39 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,515
Posts36,882
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#4214 - 08/02/12 05:23 AM Smart Rise brake switch fault  
vatordude Offline
Mechanic
vatordude  Offline
Mechanic

We recently installed a Smart Rise controller. I'm intermittently getting a brake switch failure. The brake has been completely rebuilt and the switch has been replaced and we continually get the fault. The brake picks perfect every time. I'm beginning to believe this is a controller issue. Any one had this issue with a Smart Rise?

#4217 - 08/03/12 12:16 AM Re: Smart Rise brake switch fault [Re: vatordude]  
iggy Offline
stranger
iggy  Offline
stranger

I'm not sure about Smart Rise, but all my GAL Galaxy have the same problem(either brake pick-up fault or brake drop fault), until I changed the brake switch parameter from 1 to zero(means no brake switch), problem solved. All units running fine for more than a year. Talked to my co-worker, he told me brake switch's movement not fast enough to meet with the microprocessor. Maybe, Just maybe.

#4219 - 08/03/12 01:54 AM Re: Smart Rise brake switch fault [Re: iggy]  
vatordude Offline
Mechanic
vatordude  Offline
Mechanic

yeah, that's what I did to get the car to run. I was just curious if others were having the same issue. Seems like we are always working for the controller companies' R&D dept. fixing the bugs in their system.

#4220 - 08/03/12 03:09 AM Re: Smart Rise brake switch fault [Re: vatordude]  
Scott Davidson Offline
troubleshooter1
Scott Davidson  Offline
troubleshooter1

california
Just be careful about disabling the brake switch input, I recently was sent to a non contract otis 311 machine, one car was down, that was the car i was supposed to work on, only problem was when i arrived i noticed the brake was smoking on the other car, it never picked and the car just kept running, had to immediately fix the brake problem, and reset the parameter to include the brake switch in the run, this could be a dangerous problem. i realize that older controllers had no brake switches and could run without a brake pick causing the same condition, but this circuit has been incorporated into new controllers for just this reason, it is a safety issue, fix the problem related to the switch and the brake, if it is a controller problem or software problem it must be resolved. just disabling the circuit is not doing any justice for you the mechanic or all of us the riding public. ps after i fixed the original car i was to repair, i shut the other car down for brake reline and load test. some things cannot be overlooked, the brake is number one in my opinion. ask yourself, would you allow your family members to ride this elevator knowing that the brake may not hold a full load after being compromised from heat etc.

Last edited by Scott Davidson; 08/03/12 03:12 AM.
#4223 - 08/03/12 04:15 AM Re: Smart Rise brake switch fault [Re: Scott Davidson]  
billvator Offline
journeyman
billvator  Offline
journeyman

had an issue awhile back with a dover t4 and a westinghouse machine, had to get a micro switch from granger's with a long arm and a roller on it, made a bracket and had the micro switch set to breake as soon as the brake moved (brake was very slow to pick), with the long arm on the mico i could bend it to get a little more action out of it. i took the route over on a new contract and on all 6 units someone bypassed the brake switch!

#4229 - 08/03/12 04:19 PM Re: Smart Rise brake switch fault [Re: billvator]  
danzeitz Offline
addict
danzeitz  Offline
addict

st.louis mo
Scott is right on. Turning off brake switch input to be sure you are on the right track is fine but once there you have to get a fix. I had an old Haughton gearless job with the same problem so we fooled the controller with a relay on the brake picked circute. BUT we then added the brake switch back in to a non time sensitive part of the run circute. No switch still no run. But any new equipment should be alowed more time by a rewrite of software by the controller manufactior.

Last edited by danzeitz; 08/03/12 04:22 PM.
#4240 - 08/04/12 10:44 PM Re: Smart Rise brake switch fault [Re: danzeitz]  
vatordude Offline
Mechanic
vatordude  Offline
Mechanic

Hi Scott, your right on getting the switch working again. Seen way to many Reliable cars run through the brake when the brake capacitor fails.
We're working it out with Smart Rise to get the issue handled. I've ordered a different type of switch and installed in the place of the original switch. It's running with an active brake switch again. We'll see if it lasts.

#4242 - 08/04/12 11:58 PM Re: Smart Rise brake switch fault [Re: vatordude]  
Broke_Sheave Offline
addict
Broke_Sheave  Offline
addict

I had a car that would shut down about every month or so. Would find it floor level faulted out. Put a meter on the brake micro and ran it about 1000 times and never saw it fail. Finally put a digimetrics monitor on the system and it was the stinkin' brake switch..

When in doubt change it out!!

It Don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing.

Cool, Free, Johnny Smith courtesy of NPR..HERE
http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/asc/asc25.smith.asx

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit