Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,513
Posts36,869
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
#10420 - 04/19/14 11:50 PM Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I know I know, another damn wana be apprentice starting a thread. Sorry.

I just have a few questions and would greatly appreciate anyone willing to respond.

I'm currently finishing up my first year as an apprentice in the IBEW (electrical union) and although I like it so far, from the research I've done I really think I would prefer this trade.

So in May the Austin local #133 will be taking in applications, and I got me some questions.

First of all, is this union one where I stand little chance if I don't actually know anyone already inside the union?

Will the fact that I have electrical experience working through the IBEW help improve my odds of acceptance?

Is there any blanket advice that you can give me prior to my interview to improve my odds?

Is there anything about this trade I should know before I apply?

Does anyone work in Austin and/or Texas? If so, am I making a good decision pursuing this and what can I expect?

Overall, how difficult is it to gain entrance into the program?
I'm 23, and have both college/construction experience as an electrician.

Anyways, I'm simply anxious because I really want to be a part of an exclusive and demanding trade such as this one, and would appreciate any and all input. Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you gentlemen!

#10421 - 04/20/14 12:27 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

Well, I am not in Texas, but for the other questions....

Stand a great chance of getting into the union, regardless of relations. Our union does not really have that issue, some of the signatory companies however, thats a different story.

The electrical experience should help you with some of the entrance exam questions, and depending on experience, may allow you to get a waver for some of our own union apprenticeship classes. The fact you are a UNION electrician will help you with the oral exam portion of the process into the union as well.

Blanket advice, knowing that common sense isnt all that common anymore, if you have it, you will look stellar. The exam is for you to figure out, I will say it is heavy on mechanical and math. Gear A is 24 inches spinning clockwise at 100fpm, how fast will hear be spin if it is 12 inches, and in what direction will it spin? Thats just an example, and if it is really on the test, brilliant!

Our trade is great, we are one of the few self perpetuating trades out there. For every 500 elevators I build on new installation, there are 2-3 service routes created, perhaps some repair as well, if the service geeks dont keep my beauties lubed right! Perhaps a MOD team as well to give some of the items a facelift.

Your overall question, it is not mission impossible to get into the union, with a good work ethic, common sense, and the desire to learn, you will be very successful in this trade. It is a privledge to be in a trade that can take care of you, and your family, for as long as you are willing to take care of your responsibilities, safely, and within our agreement with the companies. Good Luck Solution.

#10423 - 04/20/14 01:25 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Since you have electrical back ground you can try to test out of year 2, basic electricity.

The test is the same test most major companies use as a mechanical aptitude test. Dow Chemical, BASF, Etc. Its really simple.

Where you need to shine is the panel interview. Two union guys and two company guys will be conducting the interview. From that interview is where you'll get your number for the hire list. I was 29.

#10469 - 04/24/14 02:16 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Thank you Silly, and sbrmilitia for the thoughtful replies.

Just today I spoke to someone who made it seem like the local here was not easy to get into, but I honestly assume that is the case for every local within this trade. So the advice is absolutely appreciated guys.

I'm not at all concerned about the written test, because I know I'm mentally capable and mechanically inclined enough to pass it. Does anyone know if they are only concerned with if you passed, or if they actually use your score as a ranking metric?

You mentioned an oral exam though, and to this point I had no idea that was even part of the process? Is there any way you could elaborate, or did you simply mean the interview?

Speaking of interview, I don't suppose anyone here knows what sort of questions they might ask?

If anyone has time to reply, thank you.

#10471 - 04/24/14 03:53 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

If you pass the test you get a interview. 70 is as good as a 100.

And that's what it is a INTERVIEW, its not a test. You'll be asked normal questions pertaining to the job. Starting out you'll be in construction. Hours are long, the job is tough on greenies, lots of heaving lifting, hours of monotonous work, also that Texas heat in those shafts makes things tough and mechanics will push you to your breaking point. Keeping your mouth shut, do what your told, and pay attention to detail learn from what others are doing. If someone gives you to chance to do something that requires skill knock it out of the park. If you are a electrician knowing how to run conduit, bending, taking measurements, and making things look nice gives you something extra you bring to the table. You'd be surprised ive been with probates who have no clue how to read a tape. "Its 3 lines after the big line" ive heard more then once. Laying machine rooms out require a lot of EMT and a mechanic attention to detail shows in the machine room.

The interview will be members of the JAC. It will consist of two union guys and two company guys. Unless asked shy away from talking a lot about union pride(hey brother we all have it and its nothing like having brothers who have your back). Keep your answers pertaining to work experience, issues you've seen in the field and ways you used team work and problem solving skills to overcome them. Also adding a safety influence to your answers isn't a bad thing to do. Company or Union safety is one thing we can all agree on. Lastly when asked if you have any questions don't say no, ask any questions you have a concern about. That shows you are not a know it all and have a willingness to learn. You only have a short time for those guys to make a decision about you so give the best impression you can.

Dress for the occasion, clean shaven and get a hair cut. A good impression when you walk in will help.

Any more questions ill be more then happy to ask. DM me if you want.

#10472 - 04/24/14 04:31 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

As usual SBR hit it on the head. As for exact questions well, we want people who belong in our trade, not those who knew what the questions were, so they could prepare the best answers. If all you say is true, you will be with us soon enough bud.

Most union guys say it is difficult to get in because, to most, it is. Common sense isnt all that common these days. Work ethic? Forget about it. Desire to doing a job right.....yeah right. Premadona is a word I am familiar with being called on occassion, my answer is usually the same, whats so wrong with being perfect?

Good luck in the lone star state.

#10522 - 04/30/14 02:42 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

please let us know how things go. if you do get a hire number and get a call for a job couple things to keep in mind.

Be on time, have reliable transportation and don't miss any school. while you are on probation there is no excuse for being late or calling in. besides death and that may not keep you from getting ran off.

keep your temp work card on you, make sure you are up to date on your payments. have a pencil and ruler/tape on you at all times.

good luck bud

#10534 - 05/01/14 01:39 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I'll certainly keep this updated throughout the process.

I won't receive my application for another week or so, then I'm assuming the testing will be set up towards the end of the month, or early June.

I'm trying not to think about it that much because I know they likely don't accept many applicants. I also lack a military back ground, and have only been an electrician for a little over a year, so I wont be the most qualified on paper.

I don't lack confidence, I'm just keeping my expectations tempered for now.

Thanks as always gentlemen.

Edit: Hopefully though they are in serious demand for apprentices, all of Texas is doing really well from a growth perspective, Austin and the I-35 corridor are no exception. Plenty of work going on down here.

Last edited by Solution; 05/01/14 01:40 AM.
#10535 - 05/01/14 12:40 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
Texas is the one of the best places to get in, up here in DFW we have a lot of work. Good luck with the rest of the process, as others have stated-keep your nose clean, show up early every day, do the best you can do. I mark my 28th year this month, it flies by before you know it, develope a passion for elevators and your only limitations will be those you put up yourself.

#10544 - 05/01/14 10:34 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: E311]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Hey E311 thanks for the the advice. I'm actually from Dallas and my family still lives up there. I'm thinking I'll apply there as well the next time they begin taking in applications if I haven't made it into the Austin Local. I don't doubt you guys have tons of work up there. I've seen the construction numbers, and you really cant find a place with more growth going on.

#10802 - 05/23/14 09:04 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
My EIAT test is scheduled for June 10th.

I would like to google some practice tests, but I'm unsure what exactly to look for that would most closely relate to the EIAT.

SBR posted this earlier in the thread, "The test is the same test most major companies use as a mechanical aptitude test. Dow Chemical, BASF, Etc. Its really simple."

What might I look up to find example tests such as the one he mentioned? Do they have a specific name?

I suppose I could just research the tests each of those companies use and go about it that way.

Anyways, thanks. I'll continue to update this because I'm sure prospective apprentices might appreciate this in the future.

#10874 - 05/30/14 02:00 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Quit stressing the test brother. Its mostly common sense and simple math. Instead of stressing over what's on that test try working on some test taking skills. Last thing you want to do is let that stress/nerves get to you and you bomb the test. That test is a cake walk so just work on settling down so you can think clearly.

#10900 - 06/04/14 02:59 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
jrr1982 Offline
stranger
jrr1982  Offline
stranger

Hey Solution, I am trying to get into local 9 here in MN, keep me posted on how the test goes. Local 9 is haveing an apprenticeship in August, and I want to make sure I am ready

#10910 - 06/05/14 08:51 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: jrr1982]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
No problem JRR. Check back around mid next week (my test is this coming Tuesday).

#11065 - 06/19/14 11:16 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
A little late on the update, but for those still curious of my progress, I did in fact pass the aptitude test.

For any prospective apprentices I'll give a quick run down of my test, but I'll also be mindful that a lot of guys on this forum are likely union members and would frown upon me giving an undeserved advantage to incoming recruits.

With that said, my test was 100 questions, split up evenly between math/reading comprehension/mechanical aptitude.

The reading comprehension was exactly how all reading comprehension tests are. Be mindful that the difficulty scaled up towards the end.

The math was much more basic than I thought it would be. There was no alegbra. You're test might be different, because its possible each region uses a different aptitude test so take it with a grain of salt. There is no calculator so make sure you have all your basics down. Long division using a decimal would be an example of what to touch up on. As always, know order of operations.

Mechanical comprehension is hard to study for. Be familiar with pullys, gears, levers, pressure/fluid.

Hope that helps put anyone to ease with the test coming up.

My interview is on the 26th. This is sooner then I was expecting, so I'm sort of scrambling to get a letter of recommendation and some old college transcript grades. I'm honestly not sure how important that stuff is. So if anyone wants to provide anymore input for my upcoming interview, that would be cool.

Otherwise thanks again for those who helped me out so far.

#11083 - 06/22/14 02:38 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

2 members from the JAC and two company guys will be interviewing. my hiring number was 28 so I didn't wow the guys but I must have said something right. Being open to learn, a emphasis on safety, and no problem with hard work.

#11134 - 06/26/14 08:42 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Interview went well. Results by mail in 1-2 weeks.

I'll of course give an update if I get call for work.

Hope this thread helps some prospective greenies with their process.

Thanks to those of you who helped me along, and if I'm fortunate I might actually be able to start asking on the job related questions soon.

EDIT: Oh, and they had about 8 people there grading for the interview process. This union obviously takes the apprentice process seriously which is good to know.

Last edited by Solution; 06/26/14 08:43 PM.
#11180 - 07/02/14 03:28 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Military veteran here going for my IUEC local 93 apprenticeship interview on June 14 in Nashville. Any tips or suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks...

#11204 - 07/03/14 08:38 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Well I got my results back and I'm not quite sure what to make of them.

I scored a lot lower on my interview than I thought I would, putting me at rank 10 on their list.

This sort of concerns me because I think Austin is a much smaller local than most and I'm not even sure how many people they take in yearly for their Apprenticeship.

Does anyone know when the school year typically starts and what my odds might be of making it in for the upcoming NEIEP academic year?

I guess I'll give them a call and see if they can provide more info, I'm just eager and have no idea what to expect being ranked 10th.

#11205 - 07/04/14 03:04 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

So you are the tenth person off the list who will be hired when a company calls the hall looking for apprentices. And that isn't bad at all. Construction is picking up around Texas all over. So being 10th isn't a ranking its your spot in line to be hired. When you do get the call, be on time!!!!!. Most likely you'll have to go through some sort of safety training. Most percent of companies open at 7am. Remember you are on probation they don't need a reason to run you off cause they'll just get the next guy off the list. You a required to have a pencil and your temp work card paid up to date. Listen to your mechanic do what your told. If you are unsure of something ask to get it right the first time. Your job is to be that mechanic right hand man, you need to make the mechanic's job easier. good luck bud....You can always PM me if you have any other questions.

One more thing but you a small notebook to keep in your pocket, write things down, multiple tasks given, and anything else you to remember. Work on picking up the lingo, figuring out what everything is called is very important!!!

Last edited by sbrmilitia; 07/04/14 03:10 AM.
#11207 - 07/04/14 07:13 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
kiwinightstalker  Offline
mushroom

yeah keep the notebook to write the lunch orders down... grin

I used to be indecisive....now i"m not so sure
#11208 - 07/04/14 10:54 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Thanks Militia.

I think 10th will probably be good enough to get called out, my only concern is I don't want to get called after the start of the apprenticeships school year starts in a few months and have to wait another year to start it. The apprenticeship here is now 5 years long.

I'm just being super impatient about the entire thing, and just have no idea how to gauge my ranking in relation to a small local. I think Local 133 only has around 150 members, so 10th on the list may or may not be that good.

lol Kiwi, for the benefits this union provides I'd take lunch orders all day every day if it was asked of me.

#11209 - 07/04/14 01:32 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
Don't worry so much about your ranking-once you start working. Make a commitment to yourself to live and breathe elevators, once you do that, you will always have a job and a career.

#11212 - 07/04/14 02:25 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: E311]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Hah, you guys seem to be pretty sure I'll get a call, which is all I'm honestly concerned about. I just wasn't sure if I should be worried or not because of how small the local is. Also, it sort of sucks not knowing how long I'll need to wait for them to make it that far down the list. I just have no idea which is what bothers me the most smile

happy 4th of July everyone.

#11215 - 07/04/14 09:26 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

First not all called will respond, some may have moved on, 10th outta 10 may suck, but you were at the test...10 outta 100 is pretty good, chin up bud.

As for what to have and be, you have heard some great things from the membership. Once hired, I will give you a leg up. 10-1 screwdriver, channel locks, door pick, small screwdriver (tweeker), electrical tape, few bell caps, few do alls, notebook, pencil, pen, sharpie. Keep these things on you at ALL times. You want to be johnny on the spot for your mechanic, and believe me he is yours, as much as you are his. Keep your mouth shut, listen, learn, feel him out like you do a spouse. I have a rather fond saying of your new job description sir, make your mechanic look good. No matter the task, from sweeping, to wiring, to adding counter weights, showing up to work on time, you go out of your way to make him look like the best mechanic your local has, and you will work in this trade as long as you want to.

Good luck Solution.

#11216 - 07/04/14 11:08 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Appreciate the heads up Silly. That's some really solid advice.

Does anyone know how fast the list tends to move for a local Like Austin? I don't know if I should be expecting a call this month, or 6 months from now.

#11220 - 07/05/14 05:00 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Heads up as a apprentice you are not allowed to carry your own tools. A small pocket screwdriver is ok, a pencil, and tape measure. Any other tools needs to be provided by your mechanic. There are other members out in the field will report you and you can be brought up on charges for having your own tools.

#11222 - 07/05/14 07:26 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

When I got in we were allowed to have the 10-1, channel locks, and tape measure. Only tool I needed from the mechanic was the tweeker. Better check down there before you carry them I guess solution.

#11224 - 07/05/14 11:35 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
They'll undoubtedly give me a list of what I need. But I'm a little disappointing I can't have my own tools without possibly getting reported.

Why is that exactly, It would make sense if the tools were being provided by the contractor but Militia made it sound like I just can't use tools other than from my mechanic.

Is this through the entire apprenticeship, or can you scale up your tools as you progress?

#11226 - 07/05/14 01:47 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: sbrmilitia
Heads up as a apprentice you are not allowed to carry your own tools. A small pocket screwdriver is ok, a pencil, and tape measure. Any other tools needs to be provided by your mechanic. There are other members out in the field will report you and you can be brought up on charges for having your own tools.

This is the dumbest thing I have heard! Why cant an apprentice have his own tools? As apprentices we were issued a full tool kit!! You don't have to have them on site at all times( and most of the time you may not need it) but at times you do need them.

The best advice I can give is, live the industry and be a sponge. Have a notebook and write everything down and ask questions(if you don't understand anything, ask particularly safety issues). Be attentive to the mechanic's needs ie quick to hand the pliers without the mechanic having to ask for them etc. Doing this tends to have mechanics trust you, and then they fight to get the best apprentices which is a feather in your cap. But the most important lesson you need to learn is fault finding. I was lucky I had mechanics put faults on for me, run snap question and answer sessions etc. The best thing I learnt was when attending a breakdown was, walk in the motor room, hands in the pockets and use the best organs to analyse the situation and determine what is wrong. And that's your EYES!!!! You can most of the time tick off 3/4's of possible causes by checking relays/indicators for safety ccts, locks, direction etc with this method. Learn this and you will be able to fix lifts pretty quickly(don't worry there is no race tho) and look good to your bosses. All the best mate

Last edited by uppo72; 07/05/14 01:50 PM.
#11229 - 07/05/14 03:57 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: uppo72]  
jkh Offline
4 Ever Learning.
jkh  Offline
4 Ever Learning.

Solution,

As an apprentice, the mechanic(s) working with and around you are responsible for what you do! As well as your well being and safety. This will become painfully obvious throughout your first year. But this lesson will be carried with your entire carrier!

Again let me say this because of its importance! "YOUR ENTIRE CARRIER"...

Everyone of the members who have participated on this forum have, are and continue to display their dedication to the advancement of this industry. And I for one feel honored to be apart of it.

You are given a preview into a unique circle by simply asking for help and advice. There is no doubt in my mind that you have the desire to be apart of it. My advice is to pay attention to the instructor & the mechanics when you are out in the field.
Be mindful of when it is appropriate to ask questions. And no matter how hard it may feel to connect with everyone you work with, find a way to do so.

Best wishes,

Make good choices,

JKH
#11230 - 07/05/14 04:54 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: jkh]  
DripCan Offline
DripCan  Offline

Beon time ready to work personal phone only for emergencys no texting surfing the web an you got fifty percent of job licked.The days of being silent of safety are gone speak up only about safety.An get ready to go threw boot camp again an called everything but by right name.Read your mechanic to find his mood swings when to talk an not.And last dont answer any questions boss or others want to know about whats going on let Mechanic answer all questions.Dont stand around grab a broom or mop keep things clean.

#11232 - 07/05/14 06:04 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: DripCan]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

You wont be able to scale up your own personal tools. There is a set standard of the few you are personally allowed to own for a very good reason. Who would want to lose their job because some apprentice has money and brought in a 2000 dollar snap on kit to work, over someone with less money who has a tape, channies, and a screw driver. Believe me the companies love to push apprentices as far as they can, and it WOULD make a difference somewhere. This simple rule keeps the playing field even for all apprentices.

Dont worry solution, mechanics are required to have 2 of many of the common tools for this reason. Most mechanics have a helper bucket or tool bag setup already and if it lacks something you feel you need to perform your job better, ask about it. I dont know one single mechanic who wouldnt go get another tool, Crap we usually look for excuses to buy new stuff, lol.

#11234 - 07/05/14 08:58 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Hmm, I didn't think about that Silly, makes a lot of sense though.

I appreciate everyones advice and heads up, but really I'm still not even sure when/if I'll get called to work. There is no telling how long it will take for them to get to number 10 on the hire list in Austin. I think they've done a recruitment 3 years running now so it makes me think the list moves at a decent clip.

Can anyone touch on how consistent the work is. I know this is vastly different from region to region, but what should I expect as far as lay offs are concerned?

I'm trying to figure out why everyone is assuming I'll get a call though. I just can't get hyped yet until I find out some concrete info on where I stand with my ranking.

Last edited by Solution; 07/05/14 09:05 PM.
#11258 - 07/07/14 11:11 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
bomfire Offline
stranger
bomfire  Offline
stranger

I wish you the best of luck Solution! First time poster here. I am in the same boat as you, I am below #40 (~175 on the hiring list) on our list in local 18 (Vegas, LA, San Diego) and am hoping for a call as well! Good luck!

#11259 - 07/07/14 11:38 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: bomfire]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Good luck to you too buddy. Those all seem like they would be great cities to work in. Keep in touch and let us know if you get a call.

I might recommend sticking around these forums after you get hired. This thread alone should be proof that the guys on here are genuine and helpful. We could learn a lot from them.

#11260 - 07/08/14 02:17 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: uppo72]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: uppo72

This is the dumbest thing I have heard! Why cant an apprentice have his own tools? As apprentices we were issued a full tool kit!! You don't have to have them on site at all times( and most of the time you may not need it) but at times you do need them.

The best advice I can give is, live the industry and be a sponge. Have a notebook and write everything down and ask questions(if you don't understand anything, ask particularly safety issues). Be attentive to the mechanic's needs ie quick to hand the pliers without the mechanic having to ask for them etc. Doing this tends to have mechanics trust you, and then they fight to get the best apprentices which is a feather in your cap. But the most important lesson you need to learn is fault finding. I was lucky I had mechanics put faults on for me, run snap question and answer sessions etc. The best thing I learnt was when attending a breakdown was, walk in the motor room, hands in the pockets and use the best organs to analyse the situation and determine what is wrong. And that's your EYES!!!! You can most of the time tick off 3/4's of possible causes by checking relays/indicators for safety ccts, locks, direction etc with this method. Learn this and you will be able to fix lifts pretty quickly(don't worry there is no race tho) and look good to your bosses. All the best mate

Unless you have a mechanics card in your pocket you aren't allowed to bring any of your own tools. A pencil and tape measure is the only exception to that. Period....no if ands or buts that is IEUC 101. That is for construction, Mod and Repair. As a fifty you wont see a maintenance job for a while.

#11268 - 07/08/14 04:07 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
uppo72 Offline
addict
uppo72  Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: uppo72

Unless you have a mechanics card in your pocket you aren't allowed to bring any of your own tools. A pencil and tape measure is the only exception to that. Period....no if ands or buts that is IEUC 101. That is for construction, Mod and Repair. As a fifty you wont see a maintenance job for a while.

Thanks for the reply mate. I understand different area's have different rules, but here there is a demarcation between electricians and fitters. We don't do mechanical work as that is the domain of the fitters( apart from minor works on service particularly for the big companies, smaller companies you do more). Because of this most of the time your first year you go into service to learn and understand the basics. You are given a tool kit, but most of the time you don't need it. As you progress into mods, construction, repairs ect you tend to use these tools. Anyway it seems to work here.

#11271 - 07/08/14 10:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: uppo72]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Well I got in contact with the local and from what I can gather I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a call eventually. At worse it may come after the new year, but it's obviously impossible to tell. I'm currently 9th on the list, so it's just a waiting game. I probably wont start school until next year which is unfortunate. I'll almost be 30 years old by the time I graduate the apprenticeship (that is a scary thought)!

Anyone who stumbles across this thread is welcome to join the forum and PM me with questions they may have about going through the process. Thanks as always everyone, I'll stop spamming this forum with my soon to be proby nonsense.

#11292 - 07/11/14 02:48 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
skilledbutcher73  Offline
journeyman

Solution... I believe we were in the same hiring group. I took the test on June 10th and the interview on the 26th here in Austin...I just got the results back on July 3rd..I rank 12th on the list..It has been so difficult to find ANY info about the elevator trade here in Austin.I am curious as to what the journeyman wage is right now for mechanics here in Austin. Let me know when you get a call back because I will (hopefully) get a call soon afterward.I Will pm you so we can keep each other updated.

#11297 - 07/11/14 04:03 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
JohnnyTX Offline
stranger
JohnnyTX  Offline
stranger

Solution,

I'm in the same group. How did you move from 10th to 9th on the list? I'm just curious because my letter stated that I was 7th. I'm wondering if the change is because 1st already received an offer, which would now make me 6th. For me, it's pretty irrelevant in regards to the big picture though. Eventually I'll get an offer, but the anticipation is pretty wild.

#11299 - 07/11/14 04:30 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: JohnnyTX]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Did you guys wear a suit or just khakis and a tie? I'm asking because I have an interview in Nashville on Monday. I'm so nervous. Sure wish I had more info on the interview process.

#11300 - 07/11/14 04:34 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
JohnnyTX Offline
stranger
JohnnyTX  Offline
stranger

Shirt and tie for me

#11301 - 07/11/14 04:35 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I'm interviewing in Nashville on Monday so I've just google davidson county tn prevailing wage of elevator mechanic.

#11302 - 07/11/14 04:36 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

I dressed in really nice slacks and a collared shirt. I don't know how anyone else dressed because I only saw one other guy and his interview was right after mine.

#11303 - 07/11/14 04:37 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: JohnnyTX]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I plan on shirt and tie as well. Was it a really formal type of interview or more relaxed?

#11304 - 07/11/14 04:37 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

I still can't find Austin's local 133 wage anywhere.

#11305 - 07/11/14 04:39 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Really relaxed interview. Simple questions. I had a interview in front of 10 people though which threw me off gaurd

#11306 - 07/11/14 04:39 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
What county is Austin in?

#11308 - 07/11/14 04:43 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Elevator Mechanic*** (< 5 yrs experience) $ 23.535 38.22 $ 61.76 $
Elevator Mechanic*** (> 5 years experience) $ 23.535 38.94 $ 62.48

#11309 - 07/11/14 04:44 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
hey skilled, the first number is fringe benes, and the second is hourly pay

#11310 - 07/11/14 04:46 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
third number is the total of both numbers, for Austin County TX

#11312 - 07/11/14 12:51 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

So a apprenticeship on probation would make about 19 ?

#11313 - 07/11/14 12:52 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

So a apprentice on probation would make about 19 ?

#11314 - 07/11/14 01:00 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
DripCan Offline
DripCan  Offline

Hey guys if its all about the money then i suggest you look else were.

#11315 - 07/11/14 01:09 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: DripCan]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Its not. I Just needed a idea,I just needed to know if I would have to try and fit in a few hours at my current job until I completely stop working there.Its a big move to leave a company a go to another one and be on probation.

Last edited by skilledbutcher73; 07/11/14 01:14 PM.
#11321 - 07/12/14 03:07 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
WOW. I was not expected 17 new replies to this thread when I pulled up the forum this morning.

Ok let me provide a bit more information for those who are in my hiring group.

First of all, I sent out a few emails, and finally got a response from Curtis who is one of the Area Reps. Below is his reply to my email asking for information

"Hello Sam,
If you are in the top 15 you will probably get called off this list. When is a different story. That all depends on the work load of the Local and how many refuse a job offer. Could be two weeks or 10 months. Be patient.
Good luck,
Curt"

Butcher and Johny, the three of us will likely get a call at some point. It's obviously not guaranteed though.

The reason I went from 10 to 9 is because I called the local at 5124789950 and asked about the new hire list. The number one person got called earlier this week so the list is moving.

The probationary pay for local 133 I want to say is just under 19 dollars (multiply this by 2 and you pretty much have the Mechanics rate). No it is not about the money, but when the IBEW started me at 13 dollars with a fraction of the benefits of the IUEC, it is certainly something we are all considering. All other questions pertaining to benefits/ect can be found here - http://www.dol.gov/olms/regs/compliance/cba/private/9064_7-8-17.pdf

I do not know how much each region can differentiate themselves from the overall national agreement, so it's possible local 133 is different in ways that I don't think I have any way of finding out right now.

For interview attire, I wore nice pants (they were not slacks) and a nice long sleeve button up without a tie. So there is some leeway with how you dress Titans, just be yourself and show confidence.

JohnnyTX can you PM if you read this please.
Edit: Also, did you either of you happen to find out how many people interviewed, or are on the total list?

Last edited by Solution; 07/12/14 03:16 PM.
#11322 - 07/12/14 03:55 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Ah I did not wear slacks either..I wore REALLY nice black dress pants.thank u for the info solution. Like I said before guys that are new to union jobs some of this info is difficult to find.

#11325 - 07/12/14 09:17 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I going to interview in nice khakis, button up shirt, and a tie. I don't wanna look to formal and at the same time, not too casual either. Thanks guys.

#11363 - 07/18/14 03:18 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Hey I am also from Austin Texas and applied and interviewed with you guys, did anyone get any more news?

#11364 - 07/18/14 04:01 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Nope not yet.

#11365 - 07/18/14 04:07 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Yea, the wait is the worst part. I want to start working.

#11366 - 07/18/14 04:15 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

What is your rank ?

#11369 - 07/18/14 04:36 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
was number 3 now number 2 i guess since one got hired.

#11370 - 07/18/14 05:48 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Let us know when you get called txvet, you're the highest ranked of all of us so far.

Last edited by Solution; 07/18/14 06:07 PM.
#11372 - 07/18/14 07:00 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I will, I wish I found this forum before I tested and interviewed.

#11373 - 07/18/14 07:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Do y'all just call the union hall to get the updated list ?

#11374 - 07/18/14 07:30 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Well I originally saw on here that the list advanced, I then called and asked about it the guy said one person had been hired so far.

#11376 - 07/18/14 08:13 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Hey TxVet, Congrats on your ranking. I'm also a military vet. I had my interview on Monday in Nashville TN but I'm still waiting on my results. Do you have any college or know someone in your local? I've read on different forums that the union loves veterans. I'm just trying to gauge my potential ranking on the list.

#11377 - 07/18/14 08:29 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Titans, I was in the coast guard as an electricians mate, I think that helped me the most because we mainly worked on motors and controllers and I have an associates degree in general education I can't see that helping me too much. I thought my interview was okay but was happy with 3rd tho I wish I was 1st haha. Oh I knew no-one in the local.

Last edited by TxVet; 07/18/14 08:29 PM.
#11378 - 07/18/14 08:41 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
That's awesome. I was in the army infantry and have a degree in electrical systems. I sure hope I get a rank like you.

#11379 - 07/18/14 08:50 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I bet you will. I think a lot of people don't have a degree and military that apply, keep us posted. Good luck man.

#11380 - 07/18/14 09:06 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
You too man, thanks

#11381 - 07/18/14 09:16 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
How were you guys contacted with your results? email, phone, letter?

#11382 - 07/18/14 09:22 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I was sent a letter but I was a little Ancie so I sent an email to the recruiter working with us and he told me, it only took about a week and a half to get results by mail.

#11383 - 07/18/14 09:33 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
The military background and electrical background are the main reasons you will probably have a good ranking Titans. As long as you didn't bomb the interview, you should be looking pretty good. How old are all you guys?

#11384 - 07/18/14 09:35 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I am an old man, 29

#11385 - 07/18/14 09:40 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I'm 35. Guess I'm ancient then.

#11386 - 07/18/14 09:46 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

I'm 26..I don't have military,electrical or welding experience. I do have a A.S. though and apprenticship experience as a butcher

#11387 - 07/18/14 09:47 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Well the experience you guys have gained over the years is a large part of why you both will likely get selected.

I feel lucky even being ranked 9th as I am 23 with only a little over a year of electrical/construction experience. An IBEW friend of mine also interviewed in Austin this year and failed the interview. Oddly enough he was very bright and had the highest grade in my electrical apprentice class this past year. I can only imagine how tough this union is to get into in some of the other locals.

#11388 - 07/18/14 09:49 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Speaking of welding, one of the coolest things is the welding truck/trailer this union drives around to all the locals to get its members certified. Have ya'll seen that thing? It's a welding school on wheels. Things like that sort of make the IUEC stand out...

#11389 - 07/18/14 09:52 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

I think they want u to be able to take critism and not get all hurt about it..because when it comes to safety there are almost no second chances..during my interview they brought this up..they said u have old school mechanics and new school and sometimes they don't get along.so work and military experience IS a big deal I believe.I told them I had a mentor that had been cutting meat for 46 years and he would chew my ass out for TINY things. But it is the small things that matter when it comes to safety.

#11390 - 07/18/14 09:55 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Exactly.. I tried to get into the welding program for a very long time but the slots filled up so fast and the cost per class was about 300 dollars..more if u had to pay out of district taxes.the welding trailor is free and grants a amazing opportunity to learn to weld.

#11391 - 07/18/14 09:55 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Yea solution, they have dozens of classes and certifications we'll be able to get. From what I understand, not everyone takes advantage of them. They just get caught up in the daily grind. But the more education and certifications one receives the more glamorous that resume will be. Might help years down the road when applying for a leadership position.

#11392 - 07/18/14 09:56 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

The welding program at ACC I mean..stupid phone.

#11393 - 07/18/14 10:02 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
The city of Austin is psychotic when it comes to safety. You can get kicked off a job incredibly fast, and people even get banned from working in the city for multiple infractions. Safety people walk around with cameras and wont even tell you if you are violating a rule, they will simply take a picture of you without safety glasses on ect and send it on up the food chain.

Keep in mind, the safety record of a contractor goes into the bidding process. So by you being safe, you potentially increase your companies profit potential.

It only gets crazy on the really big jobs, and god help you if the job is being insured by the city. Smaller jobs, and jobs outside of Austin are much more relaxed. I'm not condoning being unsafe just because you are outside city limits, but when a safety guy is telling you to put on a harness when you are working on a 6 foot ladder, people get a little frustrated.

#11394 - 07/18/14 10:04 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I can't imagine not taking advantage of free classes/certifications if given the chance. I promise I'll be the first person to sign up for the welding trailer when it's making its rounds.

Butcher you're spot on about not being sensitive. The first time an old school mechanic lays into me for messing something up I'm going to feel awful. But you come to realize, those are the guys who will turn you into an amazing tradesman in the end.

Last edited by Solution; 07/18/14 10:09 PM.
#11395 - 07/18/14 10:06 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Yeah you're not lying..Austin is a crazy city with crazy people man and growing at a rapid rate.

#11397 - 07/19/14 02:09 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
kiwinightstalker  Offline
mushroom

Originally Posted By: Solution
The city of Austin is psychotic when it comes to safety. You can get kicked off a job incredibly fast, and people even get banned from working in the city for multiple infractions. Safety people walk around with cameras and wont even tell you if you are violating a rule, they will simply take a picture of you without safety glasses on ect and send it on up the food chain.

Keep in mind, the safety record of a contractor goes into the bidding process. So by you being safe, you potentially increase your companies profit potential.

It only gets crazy on the really big jobs, and god help you if the job is being insured by the city. Smaller jobs, and jobs outside of Austin are much more relaxed. I'm not condoning being unsafe just because you are outside city limits, but when a safety guy is telling you to put on a harness when you are working on a 6 foot ladder, people get a little frustrated.

Cant believe they just take a photo and thats it until they kick you off site...if you are doing something unsafe or violating the rules is it their "duty of care" to tell you there and then what you are doing wrong???. What happens if you have an incident AFTER they have written you up and BEFORE you get the notice!!

I used to be indecisive....now i"m not so sure
#11401 - 07/19/14 12:34 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
It's not exactly like that kiwi, I probably didn't describe it clearly.

They just don't give warnings really on the bigger jobs. You will look up and see a guy taking your picture, and it's pretty easy to figure out what you were doing wrong. If it's not obvious they will certainly let you know how you're being unsafe. Most of the time it's due to a lack of PPE gear. You wont get fired for the little things unless you are a repeat offender, but that's likely standard procedure across the country.

I imagine they started doing it because guys would argue that they weren't doing what ever the safety guy said they were doing. My contractor has never been kicked off a job, but a lot of the guys have certainly had their picture taken. From a safety guys perspective, it's a pretty smart way to go about it honestly.

Last edited by Solution; 07/19/14 12:36 PM.
#11415 - 07/21/14 07:07 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
So how often do you guys call the union hall to see your ranking? 

#11417 - 07/21/14 08:42 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I made a promise to myself to not call more than once a month. However, since there is like 3 or 4 of us keeping up with this forum, if anyone decides to call absolutely let those of us know by making a post.

#11418 - 07/21/14 08:51 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
jrr1982 Offline
stranger
jrr1982  Offline
stranger

I like seeing a lot of veterans being accepted. I Was an Army Scout, and have A backround in Ironwork, I start my process in August. feeling Hopeful

#11419 - 07/21/14 08:55 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: jrr1982]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Good luck jrr, feel free to ask anything us anything.

#11420 - 07/21/14 08:59 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Haha solution,
I called last week on Tuesday I am afraid to call because I do not want to annoy them. But it's nice to know where you stand.

#11421 - 07/21/14 09:34 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
If no one else calls I will be calling them later on next week. I'm the same way, it's a small local so the last thing I want to do is peeve someone off before I even get called out to work.

Butcher, give em a call!

#11422 - 07/21/14 09:39 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Yeah butcher call them !! Haha but let us know when you find out what they say.

#11423 - 07/21/14 09:58 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I just got an email from my local. It said I did really well during the interview. The union rep will be out of office all this week so I'll receive my letter sometime next week. Awesome.

#11424 - 07/21/14 10:01 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Now I join the waiting game with all of ya'll but I'll take that any day. One step closer.

#11425 - 07/21/14 10:07 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Haha I did a few days ago asking about how the work load was going and that's when he said they had not done a lay off in 3 years..he just asked me where I was on the list and said he can't give me a answer..he sounded a little pissed honestly so I just follow the forums now lol

#11426 - 07/21/14 10:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

I believed I talked to Tim Goebler..Funny thing was he said he was a butcher before he became a elevator mechanic.He sort of laughed and said they are 100 percent different . We talked about lay offs and he said they had not had to do any lay offs in 3 years here in Austin but if I'm scared he can take my name off the hire list..he sort of laughed when he said that so I knew he was joking with me.

#11427 - 07/21/14 10:36 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
That's good, I got the same feeling last time I talked to him the guy seemed a little annoyed a wanna be apprentice was calling him. Oh well since I am number 2 I will keep every one updated when I get called and what it's like.

#11428 - 07/21/14 10:44 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Ya..really no point in calling till u get a call vet

#11429 - 07/21/14 11:38 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Hey titan, did u find out your ranking yet?

#11430 - 07/21/14 11:49 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I haven't received my ranking yet. The union rep said he would be out of the office all week so it will be next week before he can get the letter in the mail. He did say that I did very well on the interview.

#11431 - 07/22/14 12:07 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Titan, congrats man.

#11432 - 07/22/14 12:58 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Thanks.

#11450 - 07/24/14 06:10 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Did anyone from Austin hear any new news? The wait is killing me!

#11451 - 07/24/14 06:24 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Nope man..I do know a guy personally who still goes to the meetings and knows ALL the members of the union..he said he has never seen so many cranes in Austin EVER.he said we should be getting a call soon but it depends on if they have cleared the old bench. He did say there looks to be a TON of work and he would know BC he has worked every elevator company in Austin.

#11452 - 07/24/14 06:26 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I believe it because Austin is growing so fast, I just hope it's soon.

#11453 - 07/24/14 06:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Trust me man I'm just has curious as u are..I have this website linked as a bookmark on my phone so I check it ALL the time..my fiance has gotten sick of me talking about nothing BUT elevators.she told me to be patient....easier sad than done

#11454 - 07/24/14 06:34 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

U can do a google search for Austin's upcoming building projects.. They are adding at LEAST 50 new buildings just in the next year or 2 .

#11455 - 07/24/14 06:35 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I know, its tough. I was hoping to get in before next school term started. We will see.

#11456 - 07/24/14 08:31 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
DripCan Offline
DripCan  Offline

TX get in first then get your six month in,then you can worry about school.You wont get any apprentice training until you done six month.So first year is a wash.You will get schooling but in the value of a union on why you have what your getting from the hard working old bad backs that fought for us.

#11459 - 07/24/14 08:59 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: DripCan]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Dripcan,
I get what your saying. I am just excited about everything . This Is the first job I applied for since I got out of the coastguard and am excited about getting back to civilian life so I am probably getting too excited haha but I know I just gotta wait!

#11460 - 07/24/14 09:28 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Hey TX check your inbox

#11462 - 07/24/14 10:24 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Hey titan did u hear your ranking yet?

#11463 - 07/24/14 11:10 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Not yet man, the union rep said that he wouldn't be able to get the ranking and paperwork into the mail until next week. He's gonna be out of office.

#11475 - 07/25/14 11:03 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I wish ya'll would hurry up and get a call so ya'll could tell me the inside tips. LOL

#11483 - 07/26/14 02:41 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
No kidding.

#11495 - 07/28/14 07:26 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
So I scored a 92 on my interview and I'm number 10 on the hiring list. I'm praying that will be good enough to get me in.

#11496 - 07/28/14 07:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Dang man, that's great. Do know out of how many people? Now you join the waiting game like all of us

Last edited by TxVet; 07/28/14 07:28 PM.
#11497 - 07/28/14 07:58 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

That's better than what I scored.. Only scored a 79 but ranked 12th.

#11498 - 07/28/14 08:06 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Yeah I scored an 83. Our judges must of been hard scorers or Memphis had some superstars

#11499 - 07/28/14 08:12 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Yea I'm pretty stoked about the score and hope #10 will be good enough.

#11501 - 07/28/14 08:44 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I think the Austin judges were hardcore for sure. I scored below 80 on my interview and it was good enough for 10th.

Great job Titans, I'm sure you'll get a call. 92 is a really good score.

Edit: I think most of us were bunched up between 78-85 score wise. I'm two spots ahead of butcher and we basically got the same score. It's possible no one even scored a 90+, and if so it may only have been 1 or 2 guys.

Last edited by Solution; 07/28/14 08:49 PM.
#11502 - 07/28/14 09:23 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Thanks. Yea Nashville must have a grading curve. Obviously there were 9 people who had a 93+

#11503 - 07/28/14 09:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I emailed the union rep and asked about a possible start date. He said he had absolutely no way of knowing because it all depends on when a company calls and asks for apprentices.

#11505 - 07/28/14 09:54 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I think 10 people will go by pretty quick, I want to call the union here this week but I M being a giant wuss about it.

#11506 - 07/28/14 10:00 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

If you read some of the past conduits from NEIEP it looks like some citys hire by groups at a time.It looks like some months they do anywhere between 10 to 20 .sometimes more sometimes less.

#11507 - 07/28/14 10:02 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

It looks pretty bad in northern Cali and some parts of new York..down south it looks pretty good though.

#11509 - 07/28/14 10:19 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I sure hope y'all are right. I'm wondering if business slows down in the winter.

#11517 - 07/29/14 05:46 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
bomfire Offline
stranger
bomfire  Offline
stranger

Just thought id chime in...nothing new yet here in Vegas. Still waiting for the call just like everyone else but I have faith it'll happen.

We're all gonna make it

#11522 - 07/29/14 12:04 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: bomfire]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I agree with you bom. We're all gonna make it.

#11537 - 07/30/14 09:56 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
TxVet I can't believe you haven't been called yet! You need to give the ol' union a call and see what's up...

#11538 - 07/30/14 09:58 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I know frown I want to but was hoping one of y'all would First lol

#11539 - 07/30/14 10:21 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
You actually have a good reason though since you're so highly ranked. You could be next in line for all we know. Aint no point in me calling since I know I wont get one before you, and I'm sure you'll let us know when you do.

#11540 - 07/30/14 10:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
If I don't hear by Friday I'll call.

#11541 - 07/30/14 10:30 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Lol I was supposed to get married in October...This was planned before I took the test and interview..now we are having to plan around if I get a call soon or not because once I start I will have no vacation to take time off for my wedding. frown

#11542 - 07/30/14 10:39 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I know I am excited it's a great opportunity but sucks not knowing. Congrats man

#11543 - 07/30/14 10:46 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Ya my fiancé was not too happy..I told her it's literally a opportunity of a lifetime. Her dad is a private contractor that works overseas in Afghanistan and he knew exactly why I was so excited about making the list. He said there aren't too many ppl in the elevator trade but he has met a few overseas and he knows how complex elevators can be.

#11544 - 07/30/14 10:52 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I honestly hope the job turns out to be complex as hell. I never thought I would be so bored as an electrician. Seriously, the more challenging this school/career is the happier I'll be.

Last edited by Solution; 07/30/14 10:52 PM.
#11545 - 07/30/14 10:58 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

My thoughts exactly.. Being a butcher for 8 years has gotten to me..I need something that can challenge me more mentally ..The physical aspect was there but it was just so repetitive .Hey solution random question.. Were u in the 315 pm class when u took the test ? There was a electrician in my testing group just curious of it was u.

Last edited by skilledbutcher73; 07/30/14 11:00 PM.
#11546 - 07/30/14 11:09 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
nope, I took my test in the morning. I think I was the first group to take it.

#11547 - 07/30/14 11:14 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Ah ok.

#11548 - 07/30/14 11:54 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
So what time Did y'all test? I was the eArly one

#11549 - 07/31/14 12:10 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

3 15 June 10th

#11550 - 07/31/14 12:25 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
How many tested with you? I think 25 in the morning class and I know 27.
Interviewed.

#11551 - 07/31/14 12:27 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

5 ppl lol...and one of them would not stop talking .

#11552 - 07/31/14 12:29 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

The second class walked right before us..that class was full..i would say about 25 ppl too..so I guess about 55 ppl tested that day.

#11555 - 07/31/14 12:50 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Dang that's pretty good if we all made that. I wonder how many passed the interview

#11556 - 07/31/14 12:52 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I'm surprised that there wasn't more people who pursued this. 55 really Isn't that much.

This is a good time to be trying to get into this local I think. In 10 years I bet they have hundreds more applying than what we saw, it wont be any easier to get into as time goes on. When the college bubble bursts, people will likely turn back to trades. No one is predicting Austins growth to slow down either.

I might just be being optimistic though.

#11557 - 07/31/14 01:51 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Haha ya.. It will turn into the Austin fire Dept way hiring..I applied 2 years ago for it..3000 ppl applied and took the interview and they only accept 150! Ppl a year..extremely difficult to get into.

#11559 - 07/31/14 02:34 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
All of the "baby boomers" are retiring and that's gonna be a lot of knowledge and experience no longer available.

#11560 - 07/31/14 03:07 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
So guys I called the union today all they said was hang tight lol. I could not get my ranking or anything, so if anyone else wants to try go for it.

Last edited by TxVet; 07/31/14 03:17 PM.
#11561 - 07/31/14 03:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Well at least they didn't say they were putting a hold on hiring or anything.that's good news.

#11562 - 07/31/14 03:59 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Yep I need to keep looking at the bright side haha

#11563 - 07/31/14 07:34 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Thanks for calling and updating Vet.

#11564 - 07/31/14 07:43 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
Yep, we are all waiting for that college bubble, hopefully Yall can get in before that happens. Most of the boomers are retiring in the next 5 years, lots of knowledge going bye bye.

#11588 - 08/03/14 03:55 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: E311]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Hey E311, or any of you guys who are veterans of the industry, can you maybe elaborate on your experience in the trade so far?

All the guys who have contributed in this thread are obviously super excited to have an opportunity to work through the IUEC, but it's pretty hard to find any inside information from guys who have been in the trade a while.

I'd be curious to know what direction you guys think this uiion/trade/industry is headed in. What would you guys caution the next generation of mechanics about?

#11600 - 08/04/14 12:40 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
This is the only job I've known, during the summer, I would carry my Dad's tool bag on late night calls. I got in at the innocent age of 16, in the short 28 years I have been in, its changed a lot. The industry has and is changing constantly and not always for the better, the industry is what you make of it, have a positive attitude as much as possible, even though that's not always possible. Learn from every person you work with (good lessons and bad lessons), always look for ways to improve your knowledge base, never stop learning.

#11602 - 08/04/14 05:43 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: E311]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Hey guys, I got some news! We are all one more spot closer too being sent out to work, I am number 1 now so I will keep everyone updated.

Last edited by TxVet; 08/04/14 05:43 PM.
#11603 - 08/04/14 05:58 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Awesome man did they call u to tell u were number 1 ?

#11604 - 08/04/14 06:02 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
No. The beginning of last week I emailed Curtis and he got back to me today.

#11605 - 08/04/14 06:04 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Haha sweet ...I would be excited ass hell if I were u lol

#11606 - 08/04/14 06:15 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I am. I can't wait! Hopefully it'll be in the next week or two.

#11608 - 08/04/14 09:45 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Congrats TxVet, one step closer. You know you have to keep us all updated with everything that happens.

#11615 - 08/05/14 02:36 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
You bastard!!! Lol, thats great news though TxVet. Uhg, now I'm 8... The wait continues.

#11616 - 08/05/14 02:38 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Well it seems like they're taking one every 2-3 weeks so far.

Last edited by TxVet; 08/05/14 02:41 AM.
#11617 - 08/05/14 02:43 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Well at that rate I better not hold my breath. I'm sort of hoping a couple jobs start and they have to grab a group of guys.

TxVet, if you are lucky you will squeeze in just in time to start school this year. They probably start sometime late this month or very early in october if I had to guess. That would put you a year ahead of the rest of us who will have to wait until this time next year to start the apprenticeship.

Like has been mentioned before though, the most important part is making it through the probationary 6 month period without getting run off.

#11618 - 08/05/14 03:05 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
That's true, if I was lucky enough to make it to school this year that would be so awesome, I would be super excited for one tho learn and second because I am able to collect GI BILL. Benefits, those first 6 months I am going to be super careful, we all know how great this opportunity is, it would suck to blow it.

#11619 - 08/05/14 03:15 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Just be on time. I'm sure the main reason dudes get let go is being late repeatedly. Other then that don't break safety rules and you should be fine.

Don't tell me how much the GI Bill is going to give you either, I'm broke and I would just be jealous. Thanks for your service, btw.

#11620 - 08/05/14 03:18 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Ah ..at least I have my job currently to keep me busy..we are extremely short handed so I'm having to put in long hours.

#11621 - 08/05/14 03:20 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Yeah I'm full time, and doing side work on the side so I'm trying to stay busy and not think about it either butcher. Actually had a 14 hour day, so I'm going to bed. I'll catch up with ya'll soon.

If vet makes it into the school this year, at least we'll have homework answers.

#11622 - 08/05/14 03:32 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Thanks solution, but I was cost guard. Technically it was military but I was stationed at south padre island, so it was not like the real military at all. I have friends that went marine and army whowebby to Iraq I just say damn because my job was just fun lol.

#11623 - 08/05/14 03:43 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Haha hey txvet.. I found a MMA forum that a guy name random hero started.. He is the one that got a call recently I'm pretty sure..I sent him a message but he hasn't sent anything back.. Just google mma elevator union and u should find the forum he started.

#11624 - 08/05/14 03:59 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Butcher I think you're right. That's so randomthat you found that, I should of gotten my j mans electrical license, I could of in the guard but just didn't, Oh well.

#11625 - 08/05/14 04:09 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Man it seems the only way u can find info about the trade is from forums, I think that's how I found the mma forum.haha man u show read some of the other ground forums some of them are hilarious.

#11626 - 08/05/14 04:22 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
I will start reading them, sounds funny haha

#11863 - 08/21/14 09:59 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Seriously TxVet, what's taking you so long to get hired?

#11864 - 08/22/14 12:40 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Solution, I have no idea. I called today actually and said I am next to be hired and I was wondering if you could.give me an idea about when they'll take anyone, he said he had no idea and I just have to be ready and available when they call. And the worst part is I just turned down a sweet job at the dept of fish and wildlife for a maintenance electrician for this.

#11868 - 08/22/14 05:55 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

TxVet, you made the right call man, just relax. As I explained earlier, the union does not decide the actual hiring, the companies do. So the union rep there cannot tell you with any sort of accuracy when, its not that he doesnt want to. Being the next guy hired so early after the testing is great, you will catch on soon.

#11869 - 08/22/14 06:23 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Thanks silly, that's good advice. And it is moving they have hired two already so I can't really complain. I am extremely greatful to have gotten that ranking.

#11923 - 08/29/14 11:40 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Pete Da Engineer Offline
stranger
Pete Da Engineer  Offline
stranger

Reading all this about the way apprentices' are employed really impresses me, in the UK its literally, can you count to 10 and write your own name and as a result of that mates (apprentices') can barely find a safety circuit when they go out on the tools, i work for what is known in the UK as "one of the big 4" (otis, thyssen, kone and schindler) and everyone is interviewed by a manager(non engineer) and by the senior technician whos not even a qualified lift engineer. Its a pretty poor state here....
My advice for any mate/apprentice is PAY ATTENTION! Understand the mechanics of a lift and the electrics/circuitry and get to a position where you know where you know what tool/part your fitter needs before he needs it and have it there ready.... If not you will be paying for tea at lunch :-)

#11924 - 08/29/14 11:51 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Pete Da Engineer]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Sounds good. Thank you for the advice Pete... I will definitely be looking into more the mechanical and circuitry and studying up since I have the time Now and be prepared when i go in as a probate.

#11927 - 08/30/14 12:19 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
Pete Da Engineer Offline
stranger
Pete Da Engineer  Offline
stranger

Its simple "knowledge is power" learn as much as you can and understand the beast, no matter what nothing will ever prepare you for the pressure from when you go from mate/apprentice to engineer, it really is sink or swim, i had a freshly trained engineer almost cry the other month because he had a few call-outs in i had to almost console him to stop him crying, 15 year ago when i were in his position i'd of been laughed at and punched for being a complete wet blanket...
You need to be able to handle pressure, be able to think logically if you can do them then you've cracked it ;-) good luck to all wanna be engineers!

#11933 - 09/02/14 01:19 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Pete Da Engineer]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Hope everyone here in Austin is holding out ok. Summers nearing an end, lets hope we get a call sometime this fall. Any day now for you Vet!

#11934 - 09/02/14 02:07 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Thanks solution.I am hoping I hear soon, my wife is getting sick of me being out of work haha.

#11935 - 09/02/14 03:15 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I know what ya mean TxVet. I've been trying to do side jobs off of craigslist to supplement my unemployment. I start back to At&t on Sept 26 if I don't get the call. I'll be taking a pay cut but at least it will keep my mind off of when I'll be getting hired. At&t's training center is right next door to the IUEC in Nashville so my butt will be over there at least 2 times a week at lunch and on breaks. LOL. I've been bugging em on the phone now I'll be able to bug them for real. I sure was hoping I would get the call before then but just gotta drive on.

#11937 - 09/02/14 03:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
I just called the hall. He said that 2 mechanics were laid off, 4 fifty percenters, and I'm assuming the other 9 apprentices.

#11938 - 09/02/14 03:52 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Dang man that stinks. Hopefully they get moving soon .

#11939 - 09/02/14 03:55 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
skilledbutcher73 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

Man i didnt think they laid off mechanics too often .. I thought once you did your probationary time you were almoat safe from lay offs

#11940 - 09/02/14 05:04 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: skilledbutcher73]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Yea I know what you mean. I'd think with 5+ years of service, you would be safe.

#11942 - 09/02/14 09:08 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I'm sure the best ones see very little time off.

#11952 - 09/05/14 02:56 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
jrr1982 Offline
stranger
jrr1982  Offline
stranger

Still nobody working?

#11953 - 09/05/14 03:07 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: jrr1982]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
TxVet has been next in line here in Austin for a while now. We're just waiting for him to get hired so we know the list is moving again.

#11954 - 09/05/14 05:20 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
Yep and it sucks I feel like I have been next forever, I hope everyone else is hanging in there. I know I feel like I am never going to get the call.

#11959 - 09/08/14 02:19 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
any one hear any new news from Austin?

#11960 - 09/08/14 05:51 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: TxVet]  
bomfire Offline
stranger
bomfire  Offline
stranger

Quick update from Vegas...they hired 5 apprentices off the list as a major casino chain in Las Vegas is updating their elevators. Two Huge projects are suppose to start by years end which would call for ~50 more apprentices. Currently in the low 30's on the hiring list. Have faith, we're all gonna make it

#11961 - 09/08/14 06:27 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: bomfire]  
TxVet Offline
TxVet  Offline

austin tx
That's good news, at least they are giving you updates. The hardest part about our union hall is the no feedback they give.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit