Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,505
Posts36,829
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10362 - 04/14/14 05:03 AM Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts  
billmgood Offline
stranger
billmgood  Offline
stranger

I need some help, most likely from Schindler employees. Schindler is proposing modernizing the elevators with their new FMM 200 machine with "Suspension Traction Media" (Steel Belts). Does anyone have any experience with this type of elevator or does anyone have any opinions on this type of equipment?

Your help is greatly appreciated

#10363 - 04/14/14 10:18 AM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: billmgood]  
traction Offline
traction  Offline

Get some other quotes, a non proprietary solution would leave you with service options should you want to change service providers down the road.

#10364 - 04/14/14 10:56 AM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: traction]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
kiwinightstalker  Offline
mushroom

why do people INSIST on getting non proprietary stuff....how many times on here is someone asking a question of a company that went out of business with NO backup etc....MOST of the major companies have been around or 100 years so that must mean something!!!!...and nowadays anyone can get the info if they know where to look or who to ask on the proprietary stuff anyway.

I used to be indecisive....now i"m not so sure
#10369 - 04/15/14 12:30 AM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
traction Offline
traction  Offline

Originally Posted By: kiwinightstalker
why do people INSIST on getting non proprietary stuff....how many times on here is someone asking a question of a company that went out of business with NO backup etc....MOST of the major companies have been around or 100 years so that must mean something!!!!...and nowadays anyone can get the info if they know where to look or who to ask on the proprietary stuff anyway.

Unfortunately not every company creates products that are equal, at the end of the day it is the quality of service provided that matters most. One really need to take a long look at what best suits the customer, not what best suits the company.

In general the bigger companies provide a superior product,and the non props provide a cheaper product. In general going with the OEM means you are stuck with them as your sole option for service. So like I said it ultimately comes down to how well the company you choose treats you as a customer.

#10370 - 04/15/14 12:39 AM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: traction]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

Sorry traction I disagree with the comment of "at the end of the day, its the quality of the service that matters most". I give you a piece of junk, service it, with a master service technician, its still a piece of junk, serviced superbly. Now take a work horse Like a DMC, service it with a cheap imitation tech, its still a great product, damn near bulletproof. If that scrub can keep his hands off it, and clean the sills, might run for 15-20 years.

To the OP, ALL PRODUCTS have gremlins and kinks to work out when they are brand new. Otis gen 2 governor, Thyssens Crisis, oops I mean ISIS. If you are comfortable being a bit of a guinea pig, go for the belt drive. There is always a bit of a risk being on the cutting edge of technology...

#10383 - 04/16/14 03:40 AM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: Silly]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

Rumor is that the Schindler belts only have a million run lifespan and then the car is shutdown for repair. So make sure you have a rock solid service/repair contract. That being said the Otis Gen2 belts have many millions of runs on them with very few issues. Both of which will probably last far longer than the State mandated replacement period. The government agencies are afraid of change and technology so they are putting very stringent conditions on a lot of new products.

#10405 - 04/18/14 10:21 PM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: GreenPants]  
Len Offline
Len  Offline

...The Gen2 is by far one of the best engineered elevonic equipments by far..am told the Belts will dur five million runs before they have to be changed..

#10407 - 04/18/14 10:54 PM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: Len]  
E-man Offline
addict
E-man  Offline
addict

Is the Gen 2 the system with the crappy governor?

#10415 - 04/19/14 03:43 PM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: E-man]  
SEC Reject Offline
SEC Reject  Offline

A couple of facts about the Gen 2-

-The belts are conservatively rated by Otis. 25 years is the median they will quote. I have spoken with engineers that rate them WAY higher
-The belts are monitored by a proprietary system that constantly scans for internal breakages. This makes Otis the only manufacturer that does not have to replace the suspension means after a set amount of runs.
-The governors on the overslung Gen 2 units had problems early on with sheave degradation. Otis fully stood behind them and replaced them and continues to replace any of these units that show abnormal signs of wear.

Schindler's steel belted unit has a 1 million run limitation (pretty sure about that number). Per ANSI code, they must then be replaced. The 3300 has a maximum rise of 98 feet- Otis's is 300'. Per Schindler's website, the max speed is 150 f/min, a max of 8 stops, and a max capacity of 3500. Otis's is 5000 pounds and a max speed of 500 f/min.

These elevators aren't really in the same category as far as use. Otis does make some smaller, underslung units that compete more directly with the 3300, but once you compare apples to apples, a builder would be forced to move to a 400A model from Schindler with steel cables as the suspension means (thus losing the primary benefit of a machine room-less, low maintenance 'belted' type of unit) to match speed and load.

Having worked on both quite comprehensively, the Otis and Schindler units (in my opinion) aren't in the same ballpark with regards to features and overall quality, even when comparing both the 400A/3300 versus the Gen2 line-up.

All of the above is just my opinion, by the way (aside from the load, speed, rise, and belt info.

Last edited by SEC Reject; 04/19/14 03:45 PM.
#10450 - 04/22/14 01:05 AM Re: Schindler FMM 200 Machine with STM Steel Belts [Re: SEC Reject]  
muggzy65 Offline
muggzy65  Offline

southwest U.S.
Options are always better for customers. Non-prop equipment gives costumers the best options. The big 4 collude to keep prices high. The big 4 make little if any money in construction but make up for it in the maintenance department. Funny enough most don't even use the term maintenance anymore in their contracts because that would imply maintenance is what they should be providing. Ask any maintenance man if he even does maintenance anymore. They just put out fires. This leave the costumer holding the bag when they find out they are now being held hostage in a elevator contract that gives them know-thing and leaves them with all the liability. If your want to change the industry start by telling the truth and stand up for whats right and be honest to yourself and your costumers. Just my two cents

I agree with SEC REJECT!

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit