Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Gurunath), 15 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,495
Posts36,783
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
#10420 - 04/19/14 11:50 PM Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I know I know, another damn wana be apprentice starting a thread. Sorry.

I just have a few questions and would greatly appreciate anyone willing to respond.

I'm currently finishing up my first year as an apprentice in the IBEW (electrical union) and although I like it so far, from the research I've done I really think I would prefer this trade.

So in May the Austin local #133 will be taking in applications, and I got me some questions.

First of all, is this union one where I stand little chance if I don't actually know anyone already inside the union?

Will the fact that I have electrical experience working through the IBEW help improve my odds of acceptance?

Is there any blanket advice that you can give me prior to my interview to improve my odds?

Is there anything about this trade I should know before I apply?

Does anyone work in Austin and/or Texas? If so, am I making a good decision pursuing this and what can I expect?

Overall, how difficult is it to gain entrance into the program?
I'm 23, and have both college/construction experience as an electrician.

Anyways, I'm simply anxious because I really want to be a part of an exclusive and demanding trade such as this one, and would appreciate any and all input. Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you gentlemen!

#10421 - 04/20/14 12:27 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

Well, I am not in Texas, but for the other questions....

Stand a great chance of getting into the union, regardless of relations. Our union does not really have that issue, some of the signatory companies however, thats a different story.

The electrical experience should help you with some of the entrance exam questions, and depending on experience, may allow you to get a waver for some of our own union apprenticeship classes. The fact you are a UNION electrician will help you with the oral exam portion of the process into the union as well.

Blanket advice, knowing that common sense isnt all that common anymore, if you have it, you will look stellar. The exam is for you to figure out, I will say it is heavy on mechanical and math. Gear A is 24 inches spinning clockwise at 100fpm, how fast will hear be spin if it is 12 inches, and in what direction will it spin? Thats just an example, and if it is really on the test, brilliant!

Our trade is great, we are one of the few self perpetuating trades out there. For every 500 elevators I build on new installation, there are 2-3 service routes created, perhaps some repair as well, if the service geeks dont keep my beauties lubed right! Perhaps a MOD team as well to give some of the items a facelift.

Your overall question, it is not mission impossible to get into the union, with a good work ethic, common sense, and the desire to learn, you will be very successful in this trade. It is a privledge to be in a trade that can take care of you, and your family, for as long as you are willing to take care of your responsibilities, safely, and within our agreement with the companies. Good Luck Solution.

#10423 - 04/20/14 01:25 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Since you have electrical back ground you can try to test out of year 2, basic electricity.

The test is the same test most major companies use as a mechanical aptitude test. Dow Chemical, BASF, Etc. Its really simple.

Where you need to shine is the panel interview. Two union guys and two company guys will be conducting the interview. From that interview is where you'll get your number for the hire list. I was 29.

#10469 - 04/24/14 02:16 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Thank you Silly, and sbrmilitia for the thoughtful replies.

Just today I spoke to someone who made it seem like the local here was not easy to get into, but I honestly assume that is the case for every local within this trade. So the advice is absolutely appreciated guys.

I'm not at all concerned about the written test, because I know I'm mentally capable and mechanically inclined enough to pass it. Does anyone know if they are only concerned with if you passed, or if they actually use your score as a ranking metric?

You mentioned an oral exam though, and to this point I had no idea that was even part of the process? Is there any way you could elaborate, or did you simply mean the interview?

Speaking of interview, I don't suppose anyone here knows what sort of questions they might ask?

If anyone has time to reply, thank you.

#10471 - 04/24/14 03:53 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

If you pass the test you get a interview. 70 is as good as a 100.

And that's what it is a INTERVIEW, its not a test. You'll be asked normal questions pertaining to the job. Starting out you'll be in construction. Hours are long, the job is tough on greenies, lots of heaving lifting, hours of monotonous work, also that Texas heat in those shafts makes things tough and mechanics will push you to your breaking point. Keeping your mouth shut, do what your told, and pay attention to detail learn from what others are doing. If someone gives you to chance to do something that requires skill knock it out of the park. If you are a electrician knowing how to run conduit, bending, taking measurements, and making things look nice gives you something extra you bring to the table. You'd be surprised ive been with probates who have no clue how to read a tape. "Its 3 lines after the big line" ive heard more then once. Laying machine rooms out require a lot of EMT and a mechanic attention to detail shows in the machine room.

The interview will be members of the JAC. It will consist of two union guys and two company guys. Unless asked shy away from talking a lot about union pride(hey brother we all have it and its nothing like having brothers who have your back). Keep your answers pertaining to work experience, issues you've seen in the field and ways you used team work and problem solving skills to overcome them. Also adding a safety influence to your answers isn't a bad thing to do. Company or Union safety is one thing we can all agree on. Lastly when asked if you have any questions don't say no, ask any questions you have a concern about. That shows you are not a know it all and have a willingness to learn. You only have a short time for those guys to make a decision about you so give the best impression you can.

Dress for the occasion, clean shaven and get a hair cut. A good impression when you walk in will help.

Any more questions ill be more then happy to ask. DM me if you want.

#10472 - 04/24/14 04:31 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Silly Offline
enthusiast
Silly  Offline
enthusiast

As usual SBR hit it on the head. As for exact questions well, we want people who belong in our trade, not those who knew what the questions were, so they could prepare the best answers. If all you say is true, you will be with us soon enough bud.

Most union guys say it is difficult to get in because, to most, it is. Common sense isnt all that common these days. Work ethic? Forget about it. Desire to doing a job right.....yeah right. Premadona is a word I am familiar with being called on occassion, my answer is usually the same, whats so wrong with being perfect?

Good luck in the lone star state.

#10522 - 04/30/14 02:42 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Silly]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

please let us know how things go. if you do get a hire number and get a call for a job couple things to keep in mind.

Be on time, have reliable transportation and don't miss any school. while you are on probation there is no excuse for being late or calling in. besides death and that may not keep you from getting ran off.

keep your temp work card on you, make sure you are up to date on your payments. have a pencil and ruler/tape on you at all times.

good luck bud

#10534 - 05/01/14 01:39 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
I'll certainly keep this updated throughout the process.

I won't receive my application for another week or so, then I'm assuming the testing will be set up towards the end of the month, or early June.

I'm trying not to think about it that much because I know they likely don't accept many applicants. I also lack a military back ground, and have only been an electrician for a little over a year, so I wont be the most qualified on paper.

I don't lack confidence, I'm just keeping my expectations tempered for now.

Thanks as always gentlemen.

Edit: Hopefully though they are in serious demand for apprentices, all of Texas is doing really well from a growth perspective, Austin and the I-35 corridor are no exception. Plenty of work going on down here.

Last edited by Solution; 05/01/14 01:40 AM.
#10535 - 05/01/14 12:40 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
E311 Offline
enthusiast
E311  Offline
enthusiast

DFW
Texas is the one of the best places to get in, up here in DFW we have a lot of work. Good luck with the rest of the process, as others have stated-keep your nose clean, show up early every day, do the best you can do. I mark my 28th year this month, it flies by before you know it, develope a passion for elevators and your only limitations will be those you put up yourself.

#10544 - 05/01/14 10:34 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: E311]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Hey E311 thanks for the the advice. I'm actually from Dallas and my family still lives up there. I'm thinking I'll apply there as well the next time they begin taking in applications if I haven't made it into the Austin Local. I don't doubt you guys have tons of work up there. I've seen the construction numbers, and you really cant find a place with more growth going on.

#10802 - 05/23/14 09:04 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
My EIAT test is scheduled for June 10th.

I would like to google some practice tests, but I'm unsure what exactly to look for that would most closely relate to the EIAT.

SBR posted this earlier in the thread, "The test is the same test most major companies use as a mechanical aptitude test. Dow Chemical, BASF, Etc. Its really simple."

What might I look up to find example tests such as the one he mentioned? Do they have a specific name?

I suppose I could just research the tests each of those companies use and go about it that way.

Anyways, thanks. I'll continue to update this because I'm sure prospective apprentices might appreciate this in the future.

#10874 - 05/30/14 02:00 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

Quit stressing the test brother. Its mostly common sense and simple math. Instead of stressing over what's on that test try working on some test taking skills. Last thing you want to do is let that stress/nerves get to you and you bomb the test. That test is a cake walk so just work on settling down so you can think clearly.

#10900 - 06/04/14 02:59 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
jrr1982 Offline
stranger
jrr1982  Offline
stranger

Hey Solution, I am trying to get into local 9 here in MN, keep me posted on how the test goes. Local 9 is haveing an apprenticeship in August, and I want to make sure I am ready

#10910 - 06/05/14 08:51 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: jrr1982]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
No problem JRR. Check back around mid next week (my test is this coming Tuesday).

#11065 - 06/19/14 11:16 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
A little late on the update, but for those still curious of my progress, I did in fact pass the aptitude test.

For any prospective apprentices I'll give a quick run down of my test, but I'll also be mindful that a lot of guys on this forum are likely union members and would frown upon me giving an undeserved advantage to incoming recruits.

With that said, my test was 100 questions, split up evenly between math/reading comprehension/mechanical aptitude.

The reading comprehension was exactly how all reading comprehension tests are. Be mindful that the difficulty scaled up towards the end.

The math was much more basic than I thought it would be. There was no alegbra. You're test might be different, because its possible each region uses a different aptitude test so take it with a grain of salt. There is no calculator so make sure you have all your basics down. Long division using a decimal would be an example of what to touch up on. As always, know order of operations.

Mechanical comprehension is hard to study for. Be familiar with pullys, gears, levers, pressure/fluid.

Hope that helps put anyone to ease with the test coming up.

My interview is on the 26th. This is sooner then I was expecting, so I'm sort of scrambling to get a letter of recommendation and some old college transcript grades. I'm honestly not sure how important that stuff is. So if anyone wants to provide anymore input for my upcoming interview, that would be cool.

Otherwise thanks again for those who helped me out so far.

#11083 - 06/22/14 02:38 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

2 members from the JAC and two company guys will be interviewing. my hiring number was 28 so I didn't wow the guys but I must have said something right. Being open to learn, a emphasis on safety, and no problem with hard work.

#11134 - 06/26/14 08:42 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: sbrmilitia]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Interview went well. Results by mail in 1-2 weeks.

I'll of course give an update if I get call for work.

Hope this thread helps some prospective greenies with their process.

Thanks to those of you who helped me along, and if I'm fortunate I might actually be able to start asking on the job related questions soon.

EDIT: Oh, and they had about 8 people there grading for the interview process. This union obviously takes the apprentice process seriously which is good to know.

Last edited by Solution; 06/26/14 08:43 PM.
#11180 - 07/02/14 03:28 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
titans Offline
journeyman
titans  Offline
journeyman

TN
Military veteran here going for my IUEC local 93 apprenticeship interview on June 14 in Nashville. Any tips or suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks...

#11204 - 07/03/14 08:38 PM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: titans]  
Solution Offline
journeyman
Solution  Offline
journeyman

Austin
Well I got my results back and I'm not quite sure what to make of them.

I scored a lot lower on my interview than I thought I would, putting me at rank 10 on their list.

This sort of concerns me because I think Austin is a much smaller local than most and I'm not even sure how many people they take in yearly for their Apprenticeship.

Does anyone know when the school year typically starts and what my odds might be of making it in for the upcoming NEIEP academic year?

I guess I'll give them a call and see if they can provide more info, I'm just eager and have no idea what to expect being ranked 10th.

#11205 - 07/04/14 03:04 AM Re: Apprenticeship advice. Austin, TX [Re: Solution]  
sbrmilitia Offline
addict
sbrmilitia  Offline
addict

So you are the tenth person off the list who will be hired when a company calls the hall looking for apprentices. And that isn't bad at all. Construction is picking up around Texas all over. So being 10th isn't a ranking its your spot in line to be hired. When you do get the call, be on time!!!!!. Most likely you'll have to go through some sort of safety training. Most percent of companies open at 7am. Remember you are on probation they don't need a reason to run you off cause they'll just get the next guy off the list. You a required to have a pencil and your temp work card paid up to date. Listen to your mechanic do what your told. If you are unsure of something ask to get it right the first time. Your job is to be that mechanic right hand man, you need to make the mechanic's job easier. good luck bud....You can always PM me if you have any other questions.

One more thing but you a small notebook to keep in your pocket, write things down, multiple tasks given, and anything else you to remember. Work on picking up the lingo, figuring out what everything is called is very important!!!

Last edited by sbrmilitia; 07/04/14 03:10 AM.
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit