Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 15 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,468
Posts36,652
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1567 - 06/29/11 06:19 PM (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure?  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Hi.
I've got an LRV4, that had the upgraded processor kit installed by the OEM a couple of years ago. The new processor board is supossed to have a "super capacitor", that needs to be shorted out, in order to dump a fault. Anybody know which cap needs draining?

#1587 - 07/07/11 03:12 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Vic]  
Scott Davidson Offline
troubleshooter1
Scott Davidson  Offline
troubleshooter1

california
I dont believe that this unit will hold a fault. If all the inputs are correct the unit should go back into service. I could be wrong, but i have never had to short out a capacitor on this upgrade to get a car back in service. Has any one had to do this procedure

#1588 - 07/07/11 03:41 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Scott Davidson]  
J Sand Offline
Troubleshooter
J Sand  Offline
Troubleshooter

Los Angeles
The 330A is notorious for this but have never had a Otis unit needing it. Perhaps Green Pants has some info?

#1589 - 07/08/11 01:32 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: J Sand]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

not sure i haven't dealt with many lrv's. all ive ever had to do was a por or pull the power plug on the processor. i remember some old timers mentioning a cap to drain but i thought that was for secure access ram. ill try and find out though.

#1592 - 07/08/11 02:38 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: GreenPants]  
Scott Davidson Offline
troubleshooter1
Scott Davidson  Offline
troubleshooter1

california
I remember calling role one day on the first time i did this upgrade. we installed the upgraded processor etc., and the car would not run. the role guy had me drain the capacitor, i still cant recall the test points to apply the jumper, any way it did not solve the situation. It turns out it had a bad bottom limit switch. we fixed the switch and all was well. I think you are on to something with the secure ram. thats the only thing the capacitor would be keeping energized during a no power situation.

#1595 - 07/16/11 09:18 PM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Scott Davidson]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Thanks, guys.

When you have the upgrade done on an LRV4, does the existing print still apply, or is it different?

#1600 - 07/19/11 10:54 PM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Vic]  
Scott Davidson Offline
troubleshooter1
Scott Davidson  Offline
troubleshooter1

california
I believe the job print will still apply, however i seem to remember having to rewire a couple of the input circuits. you had to hardwire certain inputs that were not originally wired with the old software. There were only a few of them at most. fairly easy. the wiring changes came with the upgrade from otis.

#1601 - 07/21/11 02:32 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Scott Davidson]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Thanks a bunch. Unitec wants $80 a page for the print, so I'm looking elsewhere. Hate to ask the customer for thousands of dollars to get a print! Even if they are an O+G account, I just can't "represent" that price to them. Sacriligious!

#1677 - 08/18/11 06:17 PM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Vic]  
bayblue Offline
bayblue  Offline

To clear RAM of any faults on the LRV4 follow these instructions. First and foremost kill the power. Open the car station by lifting. Remove the 4 screws from the plate guarding the main board. Once removed undo the bottom two screws holding the main board to the actual car station. Once the board can slightly be pulled away from the station look for a capacitor on the bottom right hand side of the board. Depending on the year of manufacture some capacitors are big some small and almost always a different color. Once located use a small screw driver or jumper which ever you prefer and from the back of the main board find the two soldier points of that capictor. Once located short the capacitor out by laying your screwdriver across the two points or use the jumper. To successfully short it out a good connection must be held for 30 seconds or more I usually go for a minute. Once done put everything back together and close car station. Apply power and now your RAM is successfully cleared. Good luck. This fixes many problems and almost always works if you have corrupt memory in the RAM.

#1681 - 08/19/11 03:43 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: bayblue]  
Scott Davidson Offline
troubleshooter1
Scott Davidson  Offline
troubleshooter1

california
Is the ram actually storing a fault that wont let the car run, or is the ram being corrupt causing the program not to function correctly. what kind of problems have you seen that are fixed by doing this procedure? I have worked on literally hundreds of these units, and never ran across this problem, You always learn something new in this trade. Maybe i would not have had to replace a cpu or 2 if i would have tried this out before getting a new one. thanks for the info bayblue.

#1682 - 08/19/11 04:24 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Scott Davidson]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Thanks! Much Appreciated!

#1683 - 08/19/11 03:43 PM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Vic]  
bayblue Offline
bayblue  Offline

I believe that the RAM is actually storing the fault however I won't pretend to be an expert on these boards. I have a lot of LRVS on my route and most of them never have any issue. I'm actually quite fond of the LRVS but they sure can be a pain to fix when it comes to the boards. Always seems like a guessing game. My most recent problem I had where this worked was a magnet that fell out of place and believe one of the induction switches picked up where it shouldn't have causing it to go fatal. The elevator was holding hall calls on all three floors and the car calls as well. After sorting through the prints checking relays etc. I went through the hoistway and found that magnet. Once I placed it back the elevator was still dead in the water. Even after leaving the power off all night same issue the next day. Checked voltage on power supply board, call board etc. I must say draining the capictor is never my first choice however I tend to do it before I yank any boards and send them off for repair. This time it happened to work. Obviously this route can save the customer a great sum of money if it works. I've had this work just a handful of times. Learned it from my boss he's pretty clever with 40+ years in the field.

#1686 - 08/20/11 12:28 PM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: bayblue]  
kiwinightstalker Offline
mushroom
kiwinightstalker  Offline
mushroom

Its really odd that with Otis being so concerned with safety that this would be the reset procedure as it actually goes against their own safety rules. there IS NO WAY an Otis employee could actually bridge out a capacator with a screwdriver or anything else ( other than a full protective suit and written authorisation from the manager)) without violation of WWJSS.

Last edited by kiwinightstalker; 08/20/11 12:29 PM.

I used to be indecisive....now i"m not so sure
#1773 - 09/13/11 01:53 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: kiwinightstalker]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
Thanks, babyblue, and kiwinightstalker!

#1777 - 09/14/11 01:03 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Vic]  
GreenPants Offline
GreenPants
GreenPants  Offline
GreenPants

we can drain a cap as long as we write a JHA before we wake up in the morning. drive to the job in our little HHR's and not run over any pedestrians because we don't have any windows in the damn thing. if our battery on our phone doesn't run out of juice before the GPS logs us into the building we just call the supervisor and tell him we have read the jumper policy that is posted on our jumpers and then we count our jumpers and hang the bag on the door. LOTO test and verify because we don't need the power on to go to the bathroom then we drain the cap looking away from the jumper and crossing our gloved fingers nothing blows up. thats how we roll. oh ya then close out a OMMS procedure and try to sell the customer something before we leave. love my job but ya it can get annoying if your not used to it. i think only the otis guys will find this funny.

#1779 - 09/14/11 03:07 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: GreenPants]  
Scott Davidson Offline
troubleshooter1
Scott Davidson  Offline
troubleshooter1

california
now thats funny!!! I love the part about trying to sell them something before you leave. poor otis salesmen, going to be a thing of the past. just send in a request to your rsa associate, and you get a % kickback. gotta love it

#1780 - 09/14/11 03:27 AM Re: (upgraded) LRV 4 Otis -Reset procedure? [Re: Scott Davidson]  
Vic Offline
jack of all depts
Vic  Offline
jack of all depts

orange county, CA
I left Otis before it got that anal. But I sure loved the high rise stuff. Haven't worked on that tall stuff since then, I miss that aspect only.

"crossing our gloved fingers", hah ha!

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit