Please allow me to introduce myself by saying that I am not a lift engineer. My experience covers hoists,, traveling cranes and fork lifts but not counterbalanced lifts.

I have recently come accross a situation where a 20 year old lift with a capacity of approximately 1150 KG or 17 passengers has been "upgraded" by fitting additional Stainless steel panels and a granite floor and according to the contractor that work has increased the weight of the lift car by approximately 400 KG,s which put the system out of balance. So to correct the situation the contractor added an additional 400 kg,s to the counterbalance weight .

So we now have an additional load of 800kgs on a 20 year old hoist system and 400 kgs on the car so I ask is that acceptable?

As far as I am aware no tests were carried out after installation although I would have expected that the overload cut out/indicator, if working, would have had to have been adjusted.

I would appreciate if those of you with the necessary experience give me your comments and or suggestions

Thank you for your time
Terry

Terence.Allen@gmail.com