Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 20 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
vacheera, KM Elevator, Shawzee, ChurchGuy, Luis Mariano
8461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,504
Posts36,823
Members8,461
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24846 - 09/23/18 03:29 PM Noisy elevator  
doron Offline
stranger
doron  Offline
stranger

Hi, I'm not an elevator professional but I hope you guys can give me an advice smile

I live in the top floor 10/10 of a 1985 building in the greater Tel-Aviv area.
The elevator room is on the roof just above us, and our bedroom has a common wall with the elevator shaft side.

We hear quite loud cranks, especially at night & early mornings: when the elevator starts moving, when it starts to deccelate & when it reaches a complete stop (the strongest). The noise seems to shake the building.
It's driving my SO nuts. Ironically, from inside the elevator itself the crank is barely heard...

The elevator company said there is nothing to do, and before we look for another flat I wanted to ask if any of the following may help:
1) Getting thicker pads between the engine beams and the concrete (pictures of the pads below)
2) Installing acoustic walls in the engine room and/or our bedroom
3) replacing something in the equipment
4) Any ideas are welcome!
The building management will cooperate with anything that's not too expensive smile

A video of the engine room in action & images:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DLNsxU2Saq9yQQ327

Thanks!
Doron

#24847 - 09/23/18 04:57 PM Re: Noisy elevator [Re: doron]  
heisenberg Offline
Engineer
heisenberg  Offline
Engineer

I just got anxiety looking at those pictures and how you got so close to those uncovered sheeves and fly wheel.
Those need to be covered, your building management need to get this lift properly maintained by a elevator company service provider.

The clunking youre hearing is the brake, which can be adjusted so it is less noisy (your cheapest option)

Obviously you can install sound proofing.

My biggest concern is how everything is uncovered and I hope the lift was switched off before you got near the machine (not engine)

#24851 - 09/24/18 04:47 PM Re: Noisy elevator [Re: doron]  
john jay Offline
old hand
john jay  Offline
old hand

ohio
Yikes! This would never pass a QEI Inspection in the US. You need an enclosed Machine Room for sure. As heisenberg explained some brake adjustment would more than likely help. The noise on accel/decel may indicate the machine needs to be looked at also. It may be worn gear and worm.

#24928 - 10/06/18 09:53 AM Re: Noisy elevator [Re: doron]  
doron Offline
stranger
doron  Offline
stranger

Thanks you so much for the replies!

Now that holiday season here is over I managed to talk to the elevator company asking them to adjust the brakes, and they said they did that "to the maximum" last time they came after I complained about the noise.
They also said acoustic walls don't work so well in these cases, but that a newer machine would be totally quiet - but that would cost 8000$ for each elevator frown

Regarding safety:
the room used to be locked many many years ago but the door is hacked... there's inspection every 6 months (as the law here mandates) but they don't fix it. There is not even a warning sign.
Still, I had a feeling it's dangerous so I was careful... anyway I would never get up there again after what you wrote.

There were far worse safety issues in this building: several years ago 19 teens crammed into the big elevator to get to a birthday party. From what I heard the elevator was falling for a short time... luckily no one was hurt. That elevator has a door for extra room which is supposed to be locked but was hacked, that's how so many were able to get in. At least the elevator company fixed THAT door.

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit