Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 13 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Newest Members
Prairieelevator, Robot Rob, Montkone, Jevans, Clayshooter
8395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums13
Topics6,468
Posts36,654
Members8,395
Most Online117
Jan 16th, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25885 - 02/09/19 02:36 PM Enable Code  
mjb69 Offline
stranger
mjb69  Offline
stranger

I an a home owner in the final stage of a new home. I paid the builder for the elevator, in full, 18 months ago. I recently terminated the builder from the job. The elevator has been installed, but not inspected. It was tested at installation time then somehow disabled. The company that installed the elevator won't do the inspection and enable the elevator until they receive a large check. I'd of course prefer to not pay for the elevator, twice. Is it possible for another elevator company to enable the elevator, either via a generic code,or perhaps some rewiring or replacement of the control unit?.
Thanks.

#25926 - 02/12/19 06:32 AM Re: Enable Code [Re: mjb69]  
CES Offline
Elevator Junkie
CES  Offline
Elevator Junkie

Chicago, IL
In short, the best way to go about handling your situation would be to contact the builder that you just fired. The builder "you hired" didn't meet his responsibilities so you terminated him, understandably. But he didn't pay your elevator company for the equipment they purchased or for the labor they've already invested. You're money didn't make it to the party it should have. You might want to check to see if there's a mechanic's lien on your property. If you don't get the builders cooperation then unfortunately suing him would be the appropriate action to take. There's more to this than just being inappropriate which I'll elaborate on but it's the long story:ł

In every City and State an elevator acceptance inspection must be performed by the company who pulled the permit. A company cannot schedule an inspection for permit work they did not do. However, with that said a new permit can typically be pulled to replace the original by a "willing elevator company". This would come at a significant cost to you if you can find a company to do it. Reason being, the company pulling a new permit would assume all liability, it's as if they physically installed the equipment themselves. The acceptance inspection would work the same way and the inspector wouldn't necessarily care who installed it because the company performing the inspection is the accountable party.

Any company getting involved in this situation would have to protect themselves by thoroughly pre-inspecting, making adjustments, repairs, and go through every aspect of the original installation. During this process they may discover additional issues that may require change orders. Anything that doesn't meet the new company's expectations would have to be corrected. This can be a good thing if safety is a concern and you're working with a trustworthy company.

If you have a residential elevator in a house (non-commercial), that was installed by a "residential elevator company", I can guarantee any full service elevator company will find a long list of things that don't meet their expectations. Full service elevator companies or commercial elevator companies which they are referred to, are much more qualified, particular, and have a greater level of education, experience, and knowledge of code requirements and even those that go beyond just elevators. This forum is mostly elevator mechanics and helpers that work in this capacity for commercial elevator companies. Commercial elevator companies are unique with respects to various aspects of their work. They cross several trade lines to perform elevator work, they have to, conveyance installations requires this. They're probably the only trade allowed to do this without problems from other trades, they are actually respected for this ability. These are the people you want installing your elevator.

Residential companies typically do not have the same education, experience, or knowledge. There's a difference between the two and every municipality and State recognizes this fact by issuing them different licenses. Commercial elevator companies have no restrictions on the conveyances they can work on. They can work on wheelchair lifts to high rise elevators, escalators, and anything in between. Residential companies are restricted to handicap lifts of various types and residentials.

Any commercial elevator company can do what you need done fairly easily if willing to. The elevator industry is a very small group compared to other trades, they all pretty much know of one another and typically wouldn't get involved here. Sure they'll take maintenance stops, other jobs, and steal employees from one another, but usually not something like this.

In the remote chance you find a company, you're still looking at a minimum of a week team labor, permit fees, any additional materials, there's a possibility of change orders, plus inspection costs. It won't be cheap.

Sorry I wasn't able to provide you with positive information. You're in a difficult situation that I've witnessed others have to deal with in the past. It's terrible there's people out there taking that kind of money and not living up to their end of the agreement. As I initially said, going back to the builder and holding him accountable or hiring the elevator company who installed your equipment would be your best option. I wish you the best of luck with getting this matter resolved.

Love what I do, enjoy the challenge, the elevator industry has made me a much smarter man than I ever would have been.
#26050 - 02/23/19 06:49 PM Re: Enable Code [Re: mjb69]  
Philly Offline
enthusiast
Philly  Offline
enthusiast

Hire an elevator company yourself and have it completed. There are certainly ways around this to answer your question. What type of controls?

Photo Gallery
PECCO PH5000 Overspeed Governor
Drive sheave
The best helper.
Rotary Oildraulic
Old Otis badge.
Brakes,Coil,Rotor
KONE MX10 repair tool kit